Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Static
Guru
Posts: 6808
Joined: Nov 11th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Static »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Religion is the biggest scam ever perpetuated on the human race.



Totally agree. It served its purpose at a time when there was very few answers but science and technology deteriorated religions relevancy over time IMO.
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by janalta »

Glacier wrote:I see you're pulling a Fin Donnelly and Cenk Uygur all wrapped into one. Ah well, okay, it's about some event hundreds of years ago. I did not know about this one until this thread (though there are hundreds of events like this I don't know about). It seems to me that what makes this event so significant and worth remembering is that it happened on September 11th.


Yes. It is about 'some event' that happened less than 200 years ago in our history.
The fact that you now know about it and find it insignificant, other than the day on which it occurred, is more than a little disturbing.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Gixxer »

Glacier wrote: As Sam Harris says, "you still get agitated over the the abortion bombing from 1986, but say very little about 100s of Jihad attacks every year."



Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Gixxer »

User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34963
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Glacier »

janalta wrote:Yes. It is about 'some event' that happened less than 200 years ago in our history.
The fact that you now know about it and find it insignificant, other than the day on which it occurred, is more than a little disturbing.

Well not insignificant, but certainly not 9/11 significant or globally significant. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you find this even significance because it was carried out by Mormons. Had it been a group of natives doing it, the significance level would not be there. Again, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by janalta »

Glacier wrote:Well not insignificant, but certainly not 9/11 significant or globally significant. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that you find this even significance because it was carried out by Mormons. Had it been a group of natives doing it, the significance level would not be there. Again, I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.


I find this event significant because it was a brutal, disgusting act of senseless violence against innocent families by men who called themselves followers of Christ.
Stop trying to turn this into a politic debate, and you'd do well not to assume what others think or feel.

The LDS church disgusts me, for many reasons ...but in this case, I would be equally disturbed by the way this massacre was carried out and then covered up if it was done by a group of Catholics, Baptists, Jews, JWs or Scientologists.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by maryjane48 »

christians like to rewrite history
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34963
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Glacier »

janalta wrote:The LDS church disgusts me, for many reasons ...but in this case, I would be equally disturbed by the way this massacre was carried out and then covered up if it was done by a group of Catholics, Baptists, Jews, JWs or Scientologists.
And atheists too? Sam Harris talks about how many on the left has a really hard time putting LDS violence in proportion with Islamic violence, which probably why I brought it up. I watched his interview, and then I see this thread which pretty much was exactly what he was talking about.

lakevixen, revisionists can be found in all theological and political persuasions, and that includes Christians. At the same time, I you will find honest folks all over the political and religious spectrums who take history for what it is.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by janalta »

Glacier wrote:And atheists too? Sam Harris talks about how many on the left has a really hard time putting LDS violence in proportion with Islamic violence, which probably why I brought it up. I watched his interview, and then I see this thread which pretty much was exactly what he was talking about.


I would be disgusted by any group who carried out this repulsive, cowardly act upon innocent people.
Even more so, if that group of atheists were still downplaying it and attempting to play apologetic gymnastics on their atheist.org web site.

[b]On September 11, 1857, some 50 to 60 local militiamen in southern Utah, aided by some American indian[s], [/b]massacred about 120 emigrants who were traveling by wagon to California. The horrific crime, which spared only 17 children age six and under, occurred in a highland valley called the Mountain Meadows, roughly 35 miles southwest of Cedar City. The victims, most of them from Arkansas, were on their way to California with dreams of a bright future” (Richard E. Turley Jr., “The Mountain Meadows Massacre,” Ensign, Sept. 2007
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34963
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Lest the world forgets the original 9-11 massacre

Post by Glacier »

Good. Now we are on the same page.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”