Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Poindexter »

Farmmaa wrote:
I know...right ?! :200:

As if banning bjs wasn't bad enough. Yeesh.


Yikes! They have a lot of nerve calling heaven paradise.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4183
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by JayByrd »

The original article in the OP basically states that the central message of Christianity is simple; be kind to the poor. It's not really about calling out the church for it's oppressive views on sex, but you wouldn't know it from the portion that was pasted into the forum post.

Most Christians would say that what comes directly from God is pure and perfect. As man tries to relay that message, through ministry, or just the way we live our lives, it inevitably becomes flawed, as we are, by our nature, very fallible. So we do the best we can, remembering that the truth is found God's word, not in man's word. There are those who have taken God's word and twisted it severely, as well as those who don't practice what they preach. Maybe their motivations were selfish, or maybe they truly felt it was what they'd been called to do. Either way, they were fallible humans, like the rest of us. This is not news, and it is not unique to the church.

I would say that Christians (or people of any other faith) are no more or less obsessed with sex than anyone else. It's deeply ingrained in we humans, as it is in all creatures. If you want to dig up the worst of the worst, and then say that that's what Christianity is, then go for it, if you feel it's the right thing to do.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Donald G »

To JayBird ...

I think that almost all religions have included the "go forth and multiply" bit as a means of keeping their numbers, and thus their relative share of power, as high as possible. Self preservation and self interest.

Even the Muslim extremists state that their goal is to take over other countries by breeding large numbers of children and immigration in numbers.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4183
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by JayByrd »

Donald G wrote:To JayBird ...

I think that almost all religions have included the "go forth and multiply" bit as a means of keeping their numbers, and thus their relative share of power, as high as possible. Self preservation and self interest.



You say this as if it wouldn't have occured to people to have children, unless "religion" told them to. I wonder if atheists and agnostics reproduce for the same reason.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36436
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Glacier »

Donny G logic:
    - Islamic jihadists preach that Muslims need to have lots of babies to out-breed the rest of the world.
    - The Christian Bible (and Jewish Torah) utters the phrase "go forth and multiply" in reference to Noah after all of mankind had been reduced to 8 people.
    - Therefore, since one segment of one religion says to out-breed everyone else for political reasons, and one verse of another religion uses the word "multiply," all religions everywhere tell their adherents to breed like rabbits for political reasons. That includes the Buddhists in China, the Shintos in Japan, the Christians in Canada, and Hindus in India. All religions are the same after all.

Makes perfect sense to me.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Poindexter »

JayByrd wrote:The original article in the OP basically states that the central message of Christianity is simple; be kind to the poor. It's not really about calling out the church for it's oppressive views on sex, but you wouldn't know it from the portion that was pasted into the forum post.

Most Christians would say that what comes directly from God is pure and perfect. As man tries to relay that message, through ministry, or just the way we live our lives, it inevitably becomes flawed, as we are, by our nature, very fallible. So we do the best we can, remembering that the truth is found God's word, not in man's word. There are those who have taken God's word and twisted it severely, as well as those who don't practice what they preach. Maybe their motivations were selfish, or maybe they truly felt it was what they'd been called to do. Either way, they were fallible humans, like the rest of us. This is not news, and it is not unique to the church.

I would say that Christians (or people of any other faith) are no more or less obsessed with sex than anyone else. It's deeply ingrained in we humans, as it is in all creatures. If you want to dig up the worst of the worst, and then say that that's what Christianity is, then go for it, if you feel it's the right thing to do.


You're right that there is more to Christianity which was exactly the point Fareed was making. What he had learned about Christianity was inconsistent with the way it is practiced in the US. What he saw was the altruistic messages such be good to the poor as you stated had been overshadowed with thier misguided obsession with social issues involving sex such as birth control,abortions and as we've just learned, *bleep*.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Donald G »

To Glacier ...

It seems to be the same logic that ISIS said they were going to use to take over other countries.

Because all religions are a myth each person has the right to interpret sex and pro creation as they see fit. There is no absolutely right or wrong answer.

As far as I can see ALL animals, as a group, including mankind, have a drive to procreate. What limits the numbers of offspring today, among intelligent people, are the financial issues. Also the fact that the last thing that the world needs today is more children to increase the world population.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4183
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by JayByrd »

Donald G wrote:To Glacier ...

It seems to be the same logic that ISIS said they were going to use to take over other countries.

Because all religions are a myth each person has the right to interpret sex and pro creation as they see fit. There is no absolutely right or wrong answer.



There is no logic to it, except the one you made up and attributed to other groups of people. It's a huge reach to say that increasing power is the reason that line exists in the Bible. And I've actually never heard it referenced in a sermon. Maybe you've spent more time attending services than I have though.

No one, including no person of faith, if they're being honest, claims to have all the answers. We each have our own interpretation of right and wrong. There are people who think it's perfectly alright for people to have sex with animals, but I wouldn't use that as an example of what anyone, other than that person, believes.

And you keep pointing out that "religions are a myth". Any system of belief, religious or otherwise, is a construct of man. None are more mythical than any other. One persons beliefs may be centred on peace and kindness. The fact that you or I or someone else has never experienced those things, doesn't cause the belief in them to be myth.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36436
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Glacier »

You know who is obsessed with sex? JayByrd. How do I know? Because he posts on Castanet naked as a jaybird. How do I know this? Because I am logical and can thus unequivocally figure out why he picked his user name. QED.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4183
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by JayByrd »

Glacier wrote:You know who is obsessed with sex? JayByrd. How do I know? Because he posts on Castanet naked as a jaybird. How do I know this? Because I am logical and can thus unequivocally figure out why he picked his user name. QED.


Busted. :200:
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Donald G »

To Jay Bird ...

Is myth not a disproven belief in something that was FORMERLY held to be true whereas a personal belief is what we presently hold to be true based on all of the information we have accumulated and assessed to date ??

What is myth to one person can be personal belief to another. Kind of the story of religion.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Farmmaa »

myth

1.
a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
•traditional stories or legends collectively.

2.

a widely held but false belief or idea.
•a misrepresentation of the truth.
•a [b]fictitious or imaginary person or thing[/b]
•an exaggerated or idealized conception of a person or thing.


Personal belief or not, a myth is false. Not true. Not real.

Religion is just that - a story concerning the early history of a people, natural or social phenomenon involving supernatural beings.
A myth.

Choosing to believe a myth does not make it true.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3073
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You better hope you're right. You seem pretty smug for someone that one day will find out.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You better hope you're right. You seem pretty smug for someone that one day will find out.


That would be one of the many advantages of being an atheist...there is no fear of judgement day, death or an afterlife.
Pascals Wager be damned - it has never bothered me, even for one minute of my life.

It really has nothing to do with being smug.
Being smug suggests an egotistical or superiority complex, or excessive pride in one's opinions or actions.
Ironically, the exact reaction I usually get from Christians actually.

I don't feel like I'm better than anyone else for my beliefs and not believing in god, heaven or hell has zero to do with being conceited - or smug.
If you have no belief in god or satan - heaven or hell - then there is nothing to fear.

It's a pretty simple, uncomplicated way to live your life.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3073
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why are Christians obsessed with sex?

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ I appreciate your opinion. I was feeling a bit testy myself though, which is why I wrote what I did.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”