Brother Jake: How the Mormon Church is true

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Brother Jake: How the Mormon Church is true

Post by Donald G »

To Hmmm ...

Every religion is the truth to those who believe in it. Many to the point of believing that their mythical beliefs represent the One True Religion or Faith.

I wish such people well in their 1000 various beliefs as long as you do not try to push your mythical beliefs onto others.

Extremism, including violence follows.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

why is it called; "the theory of evolution"

As a theory it continues to evolve, new facts come to light as a result of scientific discovery, no discovery made to date contradicts the theory, so even though it is "called" a theory, no one has been able to disprove it, it is settled science.
What do you think of the Pythagorean theory, "the square on the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides" Pythagoras postulated his theory, and it continues to be held as true because no one has been able to disprove it.
The theory that a god or gods exist has no evidentiary value, it does not stand up to scientific investigation.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The difference between a theory and a fact is that a fact never changes (Pythagorean theorem, etc.) while a theory is constantly changing as new evidence comes to light. Much of Darwin's original theory has been shown to be false because over time the theory has evolved as new evidence and understand has come into being. The theory will continue to change into the future as new discoveries are made.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Regarding the original topic - This was just announced today in Salt Lake City.
I'm just......speechless.
This is disgusting.
Just, wow.
LDS church to exclude children of same-sex couples from membership

(KUTV) In a major policy announcement, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says children living in a same-sex household may not be blessed as babies or baptized.

The decision, which was released Thursday, takes effect immediately, LDS church spokesman Eric Hawkins told 2News.

RELATED: LDS Church adds same-sex marriage to definition of apostasy

"A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may not receive a name and a blessing," the policy reads.

Natural or adopted children living in a same-sex household will only be allowed to be baptized once they are 18, disavow the practice of same-sex cohabitation or marriage, and stop living within the household, according to the policy. Such baptism would still require the approval of the church's governing First Presidency.

This comes on the same day the LDS church announced to its leaders that participating in a same-sex marriage falls under the definition of apostasy.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-t ... membership
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:The difference between a theory and a fact is that a fact never changes (Pythagorean theorem, etc.) while a theory is constantly changing as new evidence comes to light. Much of Darwin's original theory has been shown to be false because over time the theory has evolved as new evidence and understand has come into being. The theory will continue to change into the future as new discoveries are made.

what in darwins theory is false ? and if its a link to some rightwong bible thumping site you failed
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

maryjane48 wrote:what in darwins theory is false ? and if its a link to some rightwong bible thumping site you failed

http://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/what_da ... rry_fodor/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

LDS church to exclude children of same-sex couples from membership

(KUTV) In a major policy announcement, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says children living in a same-sex household may not be blessed as babies or baptized.

The decision, which was released Thursday, takes effect immediately, LDS church spokesman Eric Hawkins told 2News.

RELATED: LDS Church adds same-sex marriage to definition of apostasy

"A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may not receive a name and a blessing," the policy reads.

Natural or adopted children living in a same-sex household will only be allowed to be baptized once they are 18, disavow the practice of same-sex cohabitation or marriage, and stop living within the household, according to the policy. Such baptism would still require the approval of the church's governing First Presidency.

This comes on the same day the LDS church announced to its leaders that participating in a same-sex marriage falls under the definition of apostasy.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-church-t ... membership

This kind of clinches the reputation of the church as being intolerant and prejudiced.
Not only are they discriminating against same gender couples and their children, they are disavowing them from membership in their cult.
For a church that claims they are all about the family, they sure are doing a hell of a job of trying to tear them apart.
What they are saying to children of gay couples is that if you want to join our church when you turn 18, you must first turn your back on your parents.
That's awesome, and so Christ-like.

I would hope that this latest repulsive policy is the final straw for members that enables them to see the church for what it really is.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Some of the LDS church sects kind of remind me of ranching; one bull to 35 captive cows.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

IMO Darwins ideas are not false or even disproved, he took the idea of natural selection to a new degree of understanding.
If todays science takes his ideas to a new level so be it, it is after all science not religious fantasy. It would appear from the link provided that Darwins ideas were not false, but are subject to new interpretations based on new levels of scientific investigation not available during Darwins life.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

The Mormon church just brought in new policies which are bigoted, backwards, judgemental and hateful.
This policy is going to destroy people and families. The suicide rate for LGBT members is already tragically high, how do you think this news is going to affect them ?
They just set equal rights back decades.

So, perhaps we can stick to the actual topic, since it has absolutely zero to do with Darwin or scientific debates.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

An observation I have made here before, is that when observing mormon groups, they do not appear to spend any time playing with their children.
In Mexico a number of mormon groups travel to campgrounds (rv parks) and are easily observed.
The groups seem to be more into sitting around in brainwashing groups obsessing about the "teachings" of the clown prince smith, than taking an interest in the kids.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I understand that you need to follow the teachings of the church to be a member of the church. Duh. I do not understand how children of those who do not follow the teachings, cannot be part of the church if they themselves do want to follow it. Makes no sense. That would include, recognizing that their same sex couple parents are living a lifestyle that is against the teachings. That doesn't mean they shouldn't still love them or care for them. It means they don't agree with there choices.

How many parents love the choices their children make as adults? We generally are just patient and hope it'll pass. It doesn't change how we feel about them. As for me, I find the Morman church very disgusting, maybe even more then the Catholic Church. Why? Because they're EVIL.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

So, as it is written in the Book of Mormon, "a man cannot enter heaven without he takes at least three wives"
How is that gonna work for a same sex couple?
If Lesbian, can the more masculine partner marry three fems, and get a ticket to the Mormon paradise?
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I wouldn't go as far as to say the church is evil, but it is about as far from Christ-like as it can come.
It is teaching intolerance, bigotry and hate.
They are clearly trying to weed out what they perceive as less than ideal members - those who are too liberal and free thinking, those who can not be controlled as easily. 'White and delightsome', obedient and heterosexual.

This information was never supposed to go public. It is contained in a handbook that is meant for only bishops, priesthood holders and those in positions of authority. It was leaked to the public, and now the church is scrambling to try to make it seem like a kind, loving act as opposed to the bigoted, hateful oppressive act that it truly is.
In an official statement, Holland said that this new doctrine was meant to save children from having to make the decision to choose between the church and their parents....to lessen the chance of conflict in the family. ( of course, until they turn 18, in which case they will be allowed back...IF they disavow their parents ).

Guess what Q12 ? If you weren't a bunch of elderly, white, conservative racists and homophobes.....conflict within families wouldn't be a problem !

The view of the church is that homosexuality, in most all cases, is simply a choice. God would not make someone homosexual. So, for generations, homosexual members have been forced to maintain appearances...deny who they really are and marry a member of the opposite sex. Because the church doesn't hate gays, just, uh...gayness.
As expected, now that being gay is not a sin or a crime in most people's eyes - and in the eyes of the law....members have stopped pretending to be who the church demanded them to be. They are leaving their fake, unhappy marriages to be who they really are. And these people have children as a result of the attempt to pretend to be normal, heterosexual Mormons.
Even if the heterosexual parent is still an active member...those children have now been ostracized and outcast. Even if they have been in primary , even if they have friends in the church...they are now not allowed to be baptised because one of their parents is being true to who they really are.

If you've been a member your entire life. If your children were all born into the church, blessed as infants and baptised when they turned 8...even if they spent their entire lives going to church, paying tithing....if any of your children happen to be gay - your grandchildren are all now automatically being banned.

It's incredibly disturbing to anyone with an ounce of humanity, compassion and empathy for others.
Which is kinda what Jesus was getting at.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I Think wrote:So, as it is written in the Book of Mormon, "a man cannot enter heaven without he takes at least three wives"
How is that gonna work for a same sex couple?
If Lesbian, can the more masculine partner marry three fems, and get a ticket to the Mormon paradise?

I've never heard that one, and I doubt it is true.
Mormons have three levels of 'heaven', and only the most devout of priesthood holders can attain the highest level in the Celestial Kingdom. These select members will be able to attain wives and reproduce for eternity

No woman can attain entry into this Celestial heaven unless her husband receives her.

Yes, there is polygamy in the afterlife....but only if you spend your life doing everything the church demands of you, without question.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”