The horrible RED cup

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

The horrible RED cup

Post by whatwhat »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/war-on-christmas-starbucks-simple-red-cups-spark-online-outcry-1.2652318

Since 1997, Starbucks has offered holiday drinks in a festive red cup, adorned with such things as Christmas ornaments, reindeer and snowflakes. This year's design is minimalist: vivid red, with nothing but the familiar green Starbucks logo.

Starbucks executives said they wanted to embrace "simplicity and quietness" and show that the coffee shops are a "sanctuary" during the holidays. The company also reminded customers that it is selling its Christmas Blend of coffee as usual this year.

But some religious conservatives saw the new cup as an affront to tradition and yet another example of what some have called the "war on Christmas" -- the taking of religion out of the Yuletide season by doing such things as greeting customers with "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

I am sure most of you have read up about the whole "red cup" controversy that Starbucks is dealing with. What do you guys think? Are they really taking the Merry Christmas out of the holidays? Are you going to boycott the holiday flavoured drinks?
hail Satan y'all
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: The horrible RED cup

Post by GordonH »

For those in our society who believe in the reason behind Christmas. It should not matter if a company take a neutral stance on the whole issue.
Its not whats on the outside of the cup that matters to the customers. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

whatwhat wrote:I am sure most of you have read up about the whole "red cup" controversy that Starbucks is dealing with. What do you guys think? Are they really taking the Merry Christmas out of the holidays? Are you going to boycott the holiday flavoured drinks?

I first heard about this story on Facebook because my Christian friends were stating how stupid this was. Not one Christian I know cares at all other than to point out the couple of complainers are idiots. Even Matt Walsh agrees since he can't find any Christians who are against the cups either.

The only two people who in the media who are upset are wannabe pastors. The first guy is a former pastor and televangelist. Televangelists are like the Christian version of internet trolls. They say anything to get attention to themselves. No word on why the guy is no longer a pastor. Maybe he got canned for getting outraged of silly things like this.

The other guy who complained about the cups is a "student pastor." I have no idea what that means, but suffice to say he's a young punk who hasn't thought things through very much. I think all of us have said and done stupid things when we were young punks that we have since recanted so I'll give him some grace here.

This is a total non-story since like 0.0001% of Christians are upset, but at least from Starbuck's perspective it's good for business. Cha-ching! MERRY CHRI$TMA$!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Well yeah, because as we all know, the Bible says "thine cup must sport snowflakes or Christmas trees during the solstice, I mean saturnalia, I mean Christmas season."

What a load of crap. I don't believe that a lot of people actually care about this. Sounds like free publicity.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Pfffft. Each and every symbol of the Christmas celebration is of pagan origin.

Christ-loving people have bigger issues than what is presented by Starbucks' silly little red cup.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

OREZ wrote:Well yeah, because as we all know, the Bible says "thine cup must sport snowflakes or Christmas trees during the solstice, I mean saturnalia, I mean Christmas season."

What a load of crap. I don't believe that a lot of people actually care about this. Sounds like free publicity.

No one I know even cares about Starbucks, never mind Cup-Gate.
As Glace pointed out, there is no "gate" without the two wingnuts with a couple of screws loose holding up the gate.
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Let's remember who tried to make this an issue. Enough said. The inflated price of a starbucks coffee and recyclability of the the cup should be more of an issue that the color or pictures on the disposable cup the coffee is served in.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

OREZ wrote:Well yeah, because as we all know, the Bible says "thine cup must sport snowflakes or Christmas trees during the solstice, I mean saturnalia, I mean Christmas season."

Agreed, it's a fricken cup....who gives a flying f$)&$.... Isnt there much more important things to worry about here days?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

More people are *bleep* off about the people who are apparently *bleep* off about the cup than the number of actual people who were *bleep* off about the cup in the first damn place.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I don't much care what kind of cup Starbucks coffee come in it still tastes terrible.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Bsuds wrote:I don't much care what kind of cup Starbucks coffee come in it still tastes terrible.

You, sir (or ma'am), are objectively wrong. I say good day!

Back OT, I think this is one of those stories where 1 person complained, and it has become about reaction to the complaint.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”