An Eye for an Eye

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

An Eye for an Eye

Post by Glacier »

My wife and I were watching Canada's trade minister, Chrystia Freeland, on Bill Maher over the weekend, and then it got to the point where she stated that "the Bible says an eye for an eye."

My wife says, "What? Doesn't she know anything about history?"

I'm like, "don't you know anything about the Bible? Haven't you ever read the Old Testament?"

She responds, "yes, and it doesn't mention an eye for an eye anywhere in the Old Testament. It's only mentioned once in the Bible, and that was by Jesus, and he was referring to Hammurabi's Code, and Jesus clearly wasn't endorsing it."

I replied, "ya right! I know you've been right every single time since we've been married, but this time you're so wrong that I'm going to go get the gun ready right now so that I can find a few plump crows for you to eat."

I used the Bible Gateway and Google, and it turns out she was right for once.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: An Eye for an Eye

Post by maryjane48 »

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Exodus 21:24
eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. The one who has inflicted the injury must suffer the same injury.

Deuteronomy 19:19 Then shall you do to him, as he had thought to have done to his brother: …

Deuteronomy 19:21
Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Ha ha! I'm vindicated! For some reason the search on Bible Gateway didn't bring those up.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Ha ha! I'm vindicated! For some reason the search on Bible Gateway didn't bring those up.

Yes, yes you are. You can bask in the glow of righteousness !
Or, well, at least - in right-ness. :O)
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

My wife was right on one level in that this idea can be traced from Babylon, but the Hebrews were likely aware of this idea, and many of their laws made reference to it. This provides some context to the above:

Exodus 21:
22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.

27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

Leviticus 24
17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.

18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.

19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;

20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

Deuteronomy 19:
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;

17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the Lord, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;

18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;

19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.

21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”