Why do atheists claim that Daniel is a forgery?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35006
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Why do atheists claim that Daniel is a forgery?

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by I Think »

Huh? Have never met any atheist that even thinks about daniel, me included.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35006
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by Glacier »

The fundamentalist atheists, the ones that follow Dawkins and Harris, think about the Bible more often than Jews and Christians. The overarching assumption is that it was all made up centuries after it was supposed to take place.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:The fundamentalist atheists, the ones that follow Dawkins and Harris, think about the Bible more often than Jews and Christians. The overarching assumption is that it was all made up centuries after it was supposed to take place.


Perhaps those atheists who actually make a living off of their atheism think a lot about the bible.
I can guarantee that the majority of atheists could care less. Really.

Why is it a mystery as to why atheists would claim that Daniel is a forgery ?
Atheists do not believe that any biblical/religious stories are true, accurate portrayals of history.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by Poindexter »

I suppose there is an arguement for knowing more about something we have an opinion on. Besides, I hear the Bible is an action packed fiction novel with plent of twists and turns.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by I Think »

god being a fantasy figure seems to give Christians license to fantasize about things like the thoughts of atheists.

BTW there are two fantasy beings that Christians seem to worship the most, their god and santa clause.
of the two only santa is a happy god.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by cliffy1 »

Yes, well, I am not an atheist, despite what Christians say, but I did spend 50 years studying the bible, comparative religions and the history of religions and their books. The overwhelming evidence is that the entire bible is a forgery based on the texts of much older religions. No amount of proof, however, will ever convince a true believer that they believe in myths, allegories and metaphors.The same is true of atheists. Agnostics seem to be the only ones with an open mind on the subject.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by I Think »

Cliffy claims;
they believe in myths, allegories and metaphors.The same is true of atheists

s
So what myths do atheists beleve?
Speaking only for myself, if you can demonstrate to my satisfaction that a god or gods exist, you will have moi as convert.
I do tend towards a closed mind, because after 60 yrs, it is unlikely that you or anyone else will have new, convincing proof.
We're lost but we're making good time.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by OREZ »

Poindexter wrote:I suppose there is an arguement for knowing more about something we have an opinion on.


Sure is, but that certainly never stopped anyone in the Castanet religion and spirituality forum.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by cliffy1 »

I Think wrote:s
So what myths do atheists beleve?
Speaking only for myself, if you can demonstrate to my satisfaction that a god or gods exist, you will have moi as convert.
I do tend towards a closed mind, because after 60 yrs, it is unlikely that you or anyone else will have new, convincing proof.

Bad sentence structure. I meant that no amount of evidence will change your mind. What I did was change the definition of god. The Universe created itself. We live on a tiny spec of dust in an infinite sea of tiny specs of dust. Essentially we are the Who that Horton hears. Does something as unfathomable as the Universe care what we think or believe? No. Does it judge us? No. Does it punish us? No. It just is. It is beyond our finite minds to comprehend.

Now, if you want to get into quantum physics and mechanics, well, we could take this to a whole new level. Let's just say that we are made of the same stuff that the Universe is made of and we are capable of the same creative consciousness. We created ourselves. How we did that and in what context we witness and we experience life is a little complicated to get into here. What I'm saying is that we are our own gods and goddesses and there ain't no other personal gods out there to judge and punish us and therefore we don't have to kiss that fictitious god of religions' behind.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17124
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:The fundamentalist atheists, the ones that follow Dawkins and Harris, think about the Bible more often than Jews and Christians. The overarching assumption is that it was all made up centuries after it was supposed to take place.

thats because most of it was made up after it did take place . genesis was at least 14 billion years ago with no involvment of any made up god . your argument is like walt disney arguing mickey mouse was real
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by JayByrd »

I Think wrote:god being a fantasy figure seems to give Christians license to fantasize about things like the thoughts of atheists.


And atheists (athers?) take the same license to imagine what people of faith think. And that license was granted by the one God atheists do believe in: themselves.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by I Think »

Jaybird writes;
atheists (athers?) take the same license to imagine what people of faith think.


I do not bother to imagine what Christians think, I listen to what they tell me. I note that they do not offer me the same courtesy.

(athers)?????
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by JayByrd »

I Think wrote:Jaybird writes;


I do not bother to imagine what Christians think, I listen to what they tell me. I note that they do not offer me the same courtesy.

(athers)?????


Then I guess you're not an ather, as I am not a Christian.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10439
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Why do Atheists Claim that Daniel is a Forgery?

Post by I Think »

Jaybird, athier or atheister would have been easier, ather went right beneath me.

Been called a heathen, unbeliever, infidel, godless etc., but ather is a first is it a new word?
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”