Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Village

Plum Village (Vietnamese: Làng Mai, French: Village des pruniers) is a Buddhist meditation center of the Order of Interbeing in the Dordogne, southern France. It was founded by two Vietnamese monastics, Thích Nhất Hạnh (a Zen master and Buddhist monk) and Chân Không (a Buddhist nun), in 1982.

I have two French cousins and their adult children who have many times gone on retreats to the Plum Village.
A friend recently stayed months there.
It's a Buddhist retreat centre!

Yes, Buddhist are well aware of the similarities of Buddhist stories and the Jesus stories.
Most of the guests there are Europeans and North Americans familiar with both story lines.


Christians on Castanet - doing some freaking research instead of believing your pastors and fave internet brainwashing sites.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic don't you have better sources that Wikipedia? Like common. Your argument is very poor.....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic are you a Buddhist? I thought you were an atheist?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic, please explain this comment...that Jesus myth guy
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

I've read books on Buddhism, gone to Buddhist temples in various locales in Asia, took part in community (Buddhist) events in Japan, Korea, Thailand....all the time as an Atheist.

No, I'm not a Buddhist but some family and friends are.

My friend who stayed at the Plum Village travelled and lived in Yemen, Somalia, several other Islamic African countries.
She isn't a Buddhist or a Moslem. She's a person who wants to know how others live, see the world, perceive good, etc.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby averagejoe » 1 minute ago

Healthyskeptic don't you have better sources that Wikipedia? Like common. Your argument is very poor.....


Is the evidence to prove the existence of any god not completely lacking in that all of the non prophet related beliefs rely strictly on faith?
Last edited by Donald G on Apr 22nd, 2016, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Most Christians stick their head in the sand. Seems the easiest way to shore up their weak faith.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Donald G »

Regardless of the evidence that exists or does not exist in the mind of individual people I think that everyone has the right to their beliefs as long as their beliefs do not in any way interfere with the rights of others to do likewise. When all is said and done utopian truth does not exist and all people are governed by their beliefs.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Buddha is not recognized as a god but was reincarnated many times- as animals , people and gods.
Buddhism doesn't assume that gods don't suffer. They suffer samsara as well. source- book- Before He Was Buddha.


"Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me" - God Almighty
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:I've read books on Buddhism, gone to Buddhist temples in various locales in Asia, took part in community (Buddhist) events in Japan, Korea, Thailand....all the time as an Atheist.

No, I'm not a Buddhist but some family and friends are.

My friend who stayed at the Plum Village travelled and lived in Yemen, Somalia, several other Islamic African countries.
She isn't a Buddhist or a Moslem. She's a person who wants to know how others live, see the world, perceive good, etc.


Maybe you should go visit a Christian Church. Maybe that would help your research into religions of the world. Oh and your friend too. She sounds like a lost soul....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 39819
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Christians on Castanet - doing some freaking research instead of believing your pastors and fave internet brainwashing sites.

You are the one making claims without actually backing it them up. I'm calling B.S. on them because it sounds too good to be true. I'm willing to help you start your own research. Let's start with immaculate conception. You said that Buddha was [b]orn from a [sic] immaculate conception. Do you know what immaculate conception is? It is not based in the Bible, rather, it is a Catholic church teaching (that wasn't fully formalized until the 1800s) that states that Mary was conceived in her mother's womb without Original Sin being attached to her soul. That is it. Do Buddhists even believe in Original Sin? You are the expert here, so I'm all ears. If they don't then your claim is false.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Donald G wrote:Regardless of the evidence that exists or does not exist in the mind of individual people I think that everyone has the right to their beliefs as long as their beliefs do not in any way interfere with the rights of others to do likewise. When all is said and done utopian truth does not exist and all people are governed by their beliefs.


Really? In peoples minds? Your kidding right?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Most Christians stick their head in the sand. Seems the easiest way to shore up their weak faith.


Oh so your true colours do come out! Wow! A militant atheist.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17299
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

How many atheists are millenniums and live in their parents basements.....dumbing down of our population.

Maybe try quoting some actual history from real historians of the past to make your weak wikipedia point...
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Buddha is not recognized as a god but was reincarnated many times- as animals , people and gods.


So you cut down people who believe in a God, but not people who believe in a God who can become a hippo and then a Castanet poster. Interesting.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”