Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »



Lecture by Dr. Richard Carrier on Jesus the Myth.
Dr. Carrier -history and philosophy majors from Columbia and Berkeley.
Last edited by Healthyskeptic on Apr 22nd, 2016, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:

Lecture by Dr. Richard Carrier on Jesus the Myth.


Another skeptic?

Come on....expand your mind!

Put up some kind of historical history proving your point?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

"Historical History". No, please I'm much more into fairy tales like Christians.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by zzontar »

Something tells me you don't go on to your friends and family about their Buddhism "fairy tales" seeing as you avoid it here. Why is that?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Lets start with something easy......about the Christian religion.

Jacob's Stone, 3,500 year old Stone that was carried by the Israelites in the desert along with the Ark of the Covenant and now sits under the British Coronation chair.....

Image


the Queens Crown and the Stone of Jacob....

Image

Queen Elizabeth's Scottish coronation, in Edinburgh, three weeks after the glamorous London ceremony of 2 June 1953. The honours of Scotland were presented to her, including the Stone of Destiny

The Stone has 88 names it is refereed too.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

averagejoe wrote:Another skeptic?

Come on....expand your mind!

Put up some kind of historical history proving your point?


Rather hard for somebody to prove a negative. Can you imagine spending your whole existence trying to prove something DIDN'T exist? How hollow and sad.

I just get the impression that atheists these days are feeling really 'left out'. They see other minority groups speaking out and they are jealous. They are tired of being 'in the closet' and hiding their unbelief, but they don't quite know HOW to speak up on their unbelief because well................it's a Unbelief. So they go on the attack instead of doing something constructive like joining a nature or environmental group (that is if they believe in nature which I understand many of them do).

They don't have God and they don't even know really WHAT their point is, but dagnabbit they are going to just bash Christianity because they don't know how to prove a negative. Sad beyond sad.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:"Historical History". No, please I'm much more into fairy tales like Christians.


Lets bring on the fairy tales then.....

You bring your cultural marxism fairy tales and we'll use history....

I have lots of history to work with along with great historical figures of the past.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

pepsilover, what I have found out over the years and since the early 80's is that the history books are being changed from actual history proving Christianity to be right. To secular history (cultural marxism).

The only way to get to the truth of ancient times and prove Christ is not a myth is thru ancient history. Which if you read some of my postings you will see this on these threads.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

From the BBC....

The legends of Joseph of Arimathea

But there's much more to Joseph of Arimathea than is found in the gospels. A whole host of other stories have grown up around him...

He was the first person to bring Christianity to Britain, having been sent with other disciples by St Philip
He built Britain's first church (some say this was actually the first church in the world)
He was Mary's uncle, and thus Jesus' great-uncle
He was a merchant who visited England to buy Cornish tin
He took Jesus with him to England when Jesus was a teenager (local legends say that among the places they visited were St Just in Roseland and St Michael's Mount)
He brought to England two vials containing the blood and sweat of Jesus (or two vials containing the sweat of Jesus)
He brought the Holy Grail to England and hid it in a well at Glastonbury, now called the Chalice Well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thepassion/article ... thea.shtml

View my Thread: Re: Did Jesus visit Glastonbury England?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55732&hilit=glastonbury
Last edited by averagejoe on Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:

Lecture by Dr. Richard Carrier on Jesus the Myth.
Dr. Carrier -history and philosophy majors from Columbia and Berkeley.


Love to go toe to toe with this brainwashed atheist....

What the heck did he learn when he was getting his degree in history? Basket weaving?

And a major at that??? Wow!

Oh ya Columbia and Berkeley, bastions of cultural marxism...
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

averagejoe wrote:pepsilover, what I have found out over the years and since the early 80's is that the history books are being changed from actual history proving Christianity to be right. To secular history (cultural marxism).

The only way to get to the truth of ancient times and prove Christ is not a myth is thru ancient history. Which if you read some of my postings you will see this on these threads.


I have found this too. Proof is out there and more is coming every day. I have also found though when some verifiable proof is presented, the scores of unbelievers all of a sudden say "Oh,well yes, of COURSE Jesus EXISTED, he just was a man though, not a prophet, not God". I've been down the road of 'proving' to these people and frankly they are not interested in any of that because basically they are hateful people who hate Christians for whatever their reason and they have no desire at all to learn or believe any proof, that's just their 'schtick'. So I leave it up to people such as yourself who has more patience than I.

I have found the most radical atheists to be 'burned or spurned' Christians. Something happened to them either in the church or via their Christian parents, and they blame God. Of course they don't actually BELIEVE in God, so I haven't quite figured out yet how they blame Him. But they try.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:pepsilover, what I have found out over the years and since the early 80's is that the history books are being changed from actual history proving Christianity to be right. To secular history (cultural marxism).

The only way to get to the truth of ancient times and prove Christ is not a myth is thru ancient history. Which if you read some of my postings you will see this on these threads.



pepsilover wrote:I have found this too. Proof is out there and more is coming every day. I have also found though when some verifiable proof is presented, the scores of unbelievers all of a sudden say "Oh,well yes, of COURSE Jesus EXISTED, he just was a man though, not a prophet, not God". I've been down the road of 'proving' to these people and frankly they are not interested in any of that because basically they are hateful people who hate Christians for whatever their reason and they have no desire at all to learn or believe any proof, that's just their 'schtick'. So I leave it up to people such as yourself who has more patience than I.

I have found the most radical atheists to be 'burned or spurned' Christians. Something happened to them either in the church or via their Christian parents, and they blame God. Of course they don't actually BELIEVE in God, so I haven't quite figured out yet how they blame Him. But they try.


You are so right on! You got it figured out. Actually they started in the 1950's changing the course of history. From Christian based history to secular history.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby averagejoe » 7 minutes ago

You are so right on! You got it figured out. Actually they started in the 1950's changing the course of history. From Christian based history to secular history.


IMO teaching secular history is a big step in the right direction. The next logical step is teaching that most of the Prophets associated to most of the religions lived on earth but man not only took what they said as the gospel truth, but turned it into a religion with a unique god as the head.

Humans have created a many headed religious hydra on earth. The headless hydra neck represents Atheists.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Interesting Christian fact....I saw this on the Amazing Race a few episodes ago.

The country of Georgia is named after St. George....

Why Are Georgia and Georgia Both Named Georgia?

In their native tongue, Georgians refer to themselves as the Kartveli and to their country as Sakartvelo. But the Kartveli have for many centuries been associated with George, the Roman soldier and Christian martyr. (They adopted Christianity under Roman rule in the 330s.) The Arabs, Ottomans, and Persians—who ruled over the country at various times until the Russians took control in 1801—chose to name Sakartvelo after its beloved patron saint, whose image dotted the art and architecture of the region.

Read more....

www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politic ... orgia.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Charles Templeton was once a Christian. In fact he was the second most popular preacher to Billy Graham.

Then he woke up and realized he was not a believer... Only a salesman.
He left Christianity because he was brave enough to ask himself these types of questions.
He celebrated intellectual honesty as an author and a broadcaster.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”