Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

His journey from Pastor with tens of thousands of 'followers' in cross country evangelical events to Atheist.
https://www.amazon.ca/Farewell-God-Reas ... 0771085087
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Donald G »

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!
Postby Healthyskeptic » 24 minutes ago


I take it that you mean that "RA" the Sun God has risen today ??
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Charles Templeton was once a Christian. In fact he was the second most popular preacher to Billy Graham.

Then he woke up and realized he was not a believer... Only a salesman.
He left Christianity because he was brave enough to ask himself these types of questions.
He celebrated intellectual honesty as an author and a broadcaster.



Why didn't those simple people thousands of years ago have been given an explanation of how evolution worked? And when 3 year olds ask how babies are made, why aren't they told about X and Y chromosomes and such?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Donald G »

Evolution was considered math back then, as in "go forth and multiply".
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17295
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by averagejoe »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Charles Templeton was once a Christian. In fact he was the second most popular preacher to Billy Graham.

Then he woke up and realized he was not a believer... Only a salesman.
He left Christianity because he was brave enough to ask himself these types of questions.
He celebrated intellectual honesty as an author and a broadcaster.



And your point is?????? Lots of people go from atheist to Christianity too. Works both ways.

So lets go back to your Jesus is a myth comment you are now avoiding......
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Farmmaa »

It's truly appalling how some can go on and on about how Christians are persecuted and picked on and then those same posters can rant and throw out ridiculous insults, generalizations and lies about non believers for several pages non stop.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

It is true that you can not provide proof of something's non existence....which is why I actually don't know anyone who has ever bothered to try to 'prove' that god isn't real.
The burden of proof is not on the doubter, but rather on the one making the claims in the first place that something does exist.

Historical history being buried and covered up in the past 30 years by secular history ? Seriously ?

Your proof of biblical history is based on stories, tales, word of mouth, passed down from one generation to the next.
There is no 'proof' that your stone is anything but a stone with a religious tale attached to it. There is no proof that the Arc of the Covenant is real, that it is exists or that it had anything whatsoever to do with the man they called Jesus Christ.
Stories passed down for thousands of years that Jesus went to England with his uncle prove what exactly ?

What proof exists that this Jew that they called Jesus was the literal son of a god ?
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Interesting read. How atheist activist can turn Christian.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/lee-s ... ian-72771/

<snip>

April 6, 2012|10:49 am

Christian author and apologist Lee Strobel had no reason to believe in God for most of his life as a skeptic and self-proclaimed atheist, he writes in his best-selling book, The Case for Christ, published 14 years ago.

That's why when The Christian Post asked him on Thursday about his reaction to our exclusive story about atheist activist Patrick Greene and his transformation to become a Christian, Strobel was able to give trusted insight. Once an atheist, he has become one of the leading defenders of Christianity through books, lectures, and as co-founder of The Institute at Cherry Hills in Colorado.

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/lee-s ... gPRoC2u.99

<snip>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:It's truly appalling how some can go on and on about how Christians are persecuted and picked on and then those same posters can rant and throw out ridiculous insults, generalizations and lies about non believers for several pages non stop.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.



That sounds like you are feeling 'persecuted'. :smt045

Hypocrisy? That's funny, that's not how I see it. I see it more a case of you can dish it but not take it. And the whining begins. Many of you count on Christians hiding their faith under a bushel as you pummel them with your views and criticisms.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Farmmaa »

pepsilover wrote:
That sounds like you are feeling 'persecuted'. :smt045

Hypocrisy? That's funny, that's not how I see it. I see it more a case of you can dish it but not take it. And the whining begins. Many of you count on Christians hiding their faith under a bushel as you pummel them with your views and criticisms.


Absolutely not. I'm not sure how one could feel persecuted for a non belief.
I just think that's it's ridiculous that you are fine with lashing out at the 'atheists', insulting them, making up insane generalizations and accusations...all the while talking about how mean they are to poor Christians like you.

In fact, the insults seem to be pretty one sided on these threads as of late.

Pot meet kettle.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34966
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:In fact, the insults seem to be pretty one sided on these threads as of late.

It's not an insult (or least it shouldn't be) to point out failure in reasoning or simply pointing out the fact that atheists accept a lot of things they're told by faith.

Pointing out that someone is naive for believing that Buddha was conceived by immaculate conception as one atheist tried to say is an not an insult (unless it's now considered an insult to criticize one's faith in conspiracy theories). Similarly, pointing out that a Christian on here is a known conspiracy theorist who has beaten to British-Israelism horse to death is not an insult, it's a reasoned attack on his reasoning.

At least with the Christian in question he doesn't just hide behind a rock and pull a Donald Trump when confronted about his faith. I would challenge to atheist to either admit he's wrong or provide evidence to back up his claims.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:
Absolutely not. I'm not sure how one could feel persecuted for a non belief.
I just think that's it's ridiculous that you are fine with lashing out at the 'atheists', insulting them, making up insane generalizations and accusations...all the while talking about how mean they are to poor Christians like you.

In fact, the insults seem to be pretty one sided on these threads as of late.

Pot meet kettle.


Where have I done that? It is the other poster who is making 'insane generalizations', in fact that poster seems intent on SPAMMING HIS AGENDA and changing the topic of the thread to push that agenda. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander there Farmmaa. I shall start posting references to atheists who converted to Christianity. Smart men. Much smarter than the atheist posters on this thread. Try Bill Gates. Try Lee Strobel (Yale Law School and worked for Chicago Tribune for 14 years). I'm sorry if that is 'insulting' to you - WAIT - no I'm not. If you find that insulting then your mind is closed and intolerant and I can't do anything about that.

Do not confuse the actual PERSECUTION of Christians (ie mass murders by ISIS and such) as 'persecution' in these forums on a difference of opinion. I don't feel persecuted, I feel that a certain atheist has moved into this forum and is spamming his agenda. it's not your thread. and you will not tell others to deal with it.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Triple 6
Moderator
Posts: 20968
Joined: Jan 14th, 2005, 2:30 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Triple 6 »

and the personal attacks can STOP now. Carry on and I'll just delete posts.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Healthyskeptic »

Is a pregnancy the result of a Dream Holy Elephant normal or is that an Immaculate Conception?

Are most people conceived this way?

Queen Maya had a dream in which a Special Holy White Elephant peirced her side with its tusk. She awoke, had holy men interprete the dream and she was told she had conceived a child. A world Saviour ( if he followed a religious path) or a great King ( if he followed in his father's worldly path.)

Immaculate conception story - check.

Holy Men scouring the skies for signs of a Holy Event about to happen- check.

Holy Men visiting the Babe and Mother- check.

Jesus is a SYNCRETIZED holy figure.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34966
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Glacier »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Is a pregnancy the result of a Dream Holy Elephant normal or is that an Immaculate Conception?

It's not Immaculate Conception that's for sure.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Charles Wesley wrote this hymn (the one I started the thread about) back in 1739.

http://www.hymnary.org/text/christ_the_ ... day_wesley

Author: Charles Wesley
Charles Wesley, the son of Samuel Wesley, was born at Epworth, Dec. 18, 1707. He was educated at Westminster School and afterwards at Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated M.A. In 1735, he took Orders and immediately proceeded with his brother John to Georgia, both being employed as missionaries of the S.P.G. He returned to England in 1736. For many years he engaged with his brother in preaching the Gospel. He died March 29, 1788. To Charles Wesley has been justly assigned the appellation of the "Bard of Methodism." His prominence in hymn writing may be judged from the fact that in the "Wesleyan Hymn Book," 623 of the 770 hymns were written by him; and he published more than thirty poetical works, written either by himself alone,…

<more at link>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”