Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35268
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by Glacier »

Image
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by cliffy1 »

And all that depends only on your say so that the bible is a true story, which it isn't. It is only truth because you choose to believe it. To the vast majority of humanity it has no validity. The truth, in this case, is totally dependent on your willingness to accept unverifiable stories and other peoples' opinions as fact.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by pepsilover »

You claim the 'vast majority'. Here are some figures that might surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_by_country


Top Ten Countries by Largest Number of Christians

1 United States 246,780,000 70.6%
2 Brazil 175,700,000 91.4%
3 Mexico 113,500,000 93%
4 Nigeria 92,281,000 52.8%
5 Philippines 86,500,000 85.8%
6 Russia 67,640,000 73.6%
7 Congo, Democratic Republic of 68,558,000 95.6%
8 Ethiopia 54,978,000 64.5%
9 Italy 54,070,000 91.5%
10 Germany 50,000,000 62%


<MORE AT LINK>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:

It perfect sense for the millions of people who do not believe that Christ is god - and therefore is not part of the trinity.
God in three personages...not Jesus.

Still others believe that there is no trinity...that god, Christ and the Holy spirit are three separate entities.

And then there are the millions more who don't believe any of it.

So yes, despite your attempt to be rude, I do know what I'm talking about, thanks.


Seems to me it's a given that it would not make sense to anybody who doesn't believe at all. Silly me, I thought you actually had a point to make on the topic, which you took issue with.

So you don't want to discuss the doctrine of the Trinity. Shocker!
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by cliffy1 »

pepsilover wrote:You claim the 'vast majority'. Here are some figures that might surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_by_country


Top Ten Countries by Largest Number of Christians

1 United States 246,780,000 70.6%
2 Brazil 175,700,000 91.4%
3 Mexico 113,500,000 93%
4 Nigeria 92,281,000 52.8%
5 Philippines 86,500,000 85.8%
6 Russia 67,640,000 73.6%
7 Congo, Democratic Republic of 68,558,000 95.6%
8 Ethiopia 54,978,000 64.5%
9 Italy 54,070,000 91.5%
10 Germany 50,000,000 62%


<MORE AT LINK>

Sorry dude, but there are 7 billion people on the planet and only about 2 billion claim to be Christian. Of those claiming to be Christian, a very small number actually practice the teachings of Jesus. The rest just practice what their pastor tells them to. Most have no idea what Jesus taught. It is silly to quote numbers from Christian countries an ignore Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu countries. India and China are home to over half of the world's population. Over a billion Muslims and growing faster than Christians. But if you like cherry picking numbers, who am I to refuse you that right? Carry on.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by pepsilover »

cliffy1 wrote:Sorry dude, but there are 7 billion people on the planet and only about 2 billion claim to be Christian. Of those claiming to be Christian, a very small number actually practice the teachings of Jesus. The rest just practice what their pastor tells them to. Most have no idea what Jesus taught. It is silly to quote numbers from Christian countries an ignore Muslim, Buddhist and Hindu countries. India and China are home to over half of the world's population. Over a billion Muslims and growing faster than Christians. But if you like cherry picking numbers, who am I to refuse you that right? Carry on.


So in your eyes there are 2 billion deluded people on the planet who believe in a mythological book. That's quite the claim since you have no proof whatsoever. Do you believe all religions are bogus or just Christianity? So if 2 billion are Christians and 2 billion (approx.) are muslims, that leaves 3 billion people who are either of other religions, atheist or agnostic. Sounds like a minority to me 'dude'.

Interesting what you say about the Muslim countries, trust me I am not ignoring the growing number of muslims, don't think anybody else is either. But interestingly enough the percentage of Christians in some of those countries listed is significant (what you call cherry-picking, I call research, try it sometime if you want a legitimate debate instead of just spouting off).

So is there a point you want to make here other than you dislike Christians? If so, please post it.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by Farmmaa »

pepsilover wrote:
So is there a point you want to make here other than you dislike Christians? If so, please post it.


Wow, the persecution complex is strong in this one.

I've never seen or heard anyone here state that they don't like Christians...even though you continually bring it up.

I do suspect though that many dislike people who display a holier than thou attitude, no matter what their religious beliefs.

You can't seem to grasp the concept that people can dislike religion...any or all religions...without it being a personal dislike or disdain for the people who choose to follow those religions.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:

Wow, the persecution complex is strong in this one.

I've never seen or heard anyone here state that they don't like Christians...even though you continually bring it up.

I do suspect though that many dislike people who display a holier than thou attitude, no matter what their religious beliefs.

You can't seem to grasp the concept that people can dislike religion...any or all religions...without it being a personal dislike or disdain for the people who choose to follow those religions.


LOL re persecution complex. Whatever you say Farmaa. Funny how you are answering the "dude's" post since my statement wasn't made to you.

You interject with a rant about how wrong I am, I ask what you are talking about, then you say that some people don't believe in the Trinity (yeah, so?? what does that have to do with anything), so I ask you if you are not wanting to discuss the doctrine of the Trinity and you come back with me having a persecution complex.

I certainly have seen you and your disdain for Christians and anything to do with Christianity. It's unattractive and hateful, just thought you should know.

I take this to mean that you didn't enjoy the hymn. <files nails>
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 984
Joined: Jan 24th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Rosemary1 »

Food for thought from philosopher F. Nietzsche. Presumably similar critiques could be made about aspects of most other religions.

" When we hear the ancient bells growling on a Sunday morning we ask ourselves: Is it really possible! This, for a Jew, crucified two thousand years ago, who said he was God's son? The proof of such a claim is lacking. Certainly the Christian religion is an antiquity projected into our times from remote prehistory; and the fact that the claim is believed - whereas one is otherwise so strict in examining pretensions - is perhaps the most ancient piece of this heritage. A god who begets children with a mortal woman; a sage who bids men work no more, have no more courts, but look for the signs of the impending end of the world; a justice that accepts the innocent as a vicarious sacrifice; someone who orders his disciples to drink his blood; prayers for miraculous interventions; sins perpetrated against a god, atoned for by a god; fear of a beyond to which death is the portal; the form of the cross as a symbol in a time that no longer knows the function and ignominy of the cross -- how ghoulishly all this touches us, as if from the tomb of a primeval past! Can one believe that such things are still believed? " from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.405, R.J. Hollingdale
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by cliffy1 »

pepsilover wrote:So is there a point you want to make here other than you dislike Christians? If so, please post it.

Read the tag line under my posts. Religion, like politics create separation, misunderstandings and conflict. I have no use for either. If you like research, research the origins of Christianity, the history of the bible, the who, where, whys it was put together in the way it is, why the protestant bible has 13 books less than the original, etc. Then you might understand why I say it is mostly fiction; a retelling and embellishment of much older stories that predate it by thousands of years.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by Farmmaa »

pepsilover wrote:
LOL re persecution complex. Whatever you say Farmaa. Funny how you are answering the "dude's" post since my statement wasn't made to you.

You interject with a rant about how wrong I am, I ask what you are talking about, then you say that some people don't believe in the Trinity (yeah, so?? what does that have to do with anything), so I ask you if you are not wanting to discuss the doctrine of the Trinity and you come back with me having a persecution complex.

I certainly have seen you and your disdain for Christians and anything to do with Christianity. It's unattractive and hateful, just thought you should know.

I take this to mean that you didn't enjoy the hymn. <files nails>


Let's try this for about the tenth time, since you can't seem to grasp the facts and it's getting rather ridiculous and is starting to get rather close to personal attacks..
I have no disdain or dislike for any person based on their religion, race, gender or culture...so you can stop with the ridiculous and constant accusations already.
Seriously. Enough.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:
Let's try this for about the tenth time, since you can't seem to grasp the facts and it's getting rather ridiculous and is starting to get rather close to personal attacks..
I have no disdain or dislike for any person based on their religion, race, gender or culture...so you can stop with the ridiculous and constant accusations already.
Seriously. Enough.


Farmmaa, I can agree with you on one thing, it's not just close to personal attacks, it is. I started this thread with an innocuous post with a link, a hymn, for Easter. I also posted an innocuous post, a link to wiki regarding the number of Christians in certain countries. And look at the results. Jo has already been in this thread once to clean it up and I saw the comments prior to the cleanup. The post following mine was of the Pillsbury Dough boy and was mocking the fact Christ had risen. Was that your post?

I've read some of your posts regarding Christians and Christianity and sorry but your disdain is CLEAR. Reminds me a lot of some of the posts I have read from people who have disdain for gays if you want to know the truth. It's intolerance plain and simple and it's all too acceptable in today's society.
removed.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
Posts: 90111
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by oneh2obabe »

Discuss the topic, not each other.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by Farmmaa »

Learn the difference between my disdain for religion and a disdain for people involved in religion.

They are not one in the same.
I have no intolerance or dislike for religious people of any denomination due to their religious beliefs or affiliation.

I do not like or dislike anyone based solely on their appearance, skin color, gender or religion.
Half of my family and many of my friends are religious for crying out loud.

Comments about religion are NOT personal attacks.
Accusations of blatant bigotry...are.

Engaging in your argument on the Holy Trinity is pointless, therefore I chose not to respond.
You believe one thing and many others do not agree with that view. One person's take on something does not make it fact.
Most Christians I know do not think that Jesus is the Holy Ghost.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: Christ the Lord Has Risen Today!

Post by pepsilover »

Farmmaa wrote:
Engaging in your argument on the Holy Trinity is pointless, therefore I chose not to respond.


Actually that is exactly what you chose to respond to and why this discussion with you is even happening. I suggest you scroll back and see who challenged who on the Holy Trinity. It was not me, I had merely posted a one liner response to another poster, as an explanation.

So do you want to discuss the doctrine of the Holy Trinity or not? You brought yourself into this, so I thought you might want to.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”