Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Glacier »

Anyone who says that the Bible condones raping your slaves has never read the Bible.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Not surprising though. I can only think of one atheist I've ever talked to who had read the Bible with any kind of sincere intention of actually understanding it. He also shared other philosophical and historical references which were of interest to me.

Amazing what a difference it makes for the conversation though, both of us shed some light on certain interpretations of scripture for the other and it was truly civilized even though ultimately we didn't agree. I think that's how adults used to converse, once upon a time.

The Bible is a long, complicated book. It takes a lot of effort to study it in context and try and understand it in a cultural and historical context. I understand most atheists do not have time for this and wouldn't be interested even if they had the time.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

OREZ wrote:
Amazing what a difference it makes for the conversation though, both of us shed some light on certain interpretations of scripture for the other and it was truly civilized even though ultimately we didn't agree. I think that's how adults used to converse, once upon a time.

I concur and you know what the Bible says. Iron sharpens iron. (It's when iron meets up with tin foil that it really doesn't go anywhere - lol).
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 12th, 2016, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:Christian God- go ahead, own slaves, rape the captive women you own, beat your children, sacrife animals to Me....blah, blah

Jains- do no harm to others.

Christian response - wow, what a kookie religion!

If it said Christians must kill mammoths you'd still be harping about that. Sacrifices, slaves... really? You don't think Christians think that's a bad idea, hence you've never seen that in your life? On the other hand, if we were all Jains and the Muslims wanted to wipe us out, they could do so using vegetables as weapons.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

If your Holy Book has rules as to how much you can beat your slave, that's a pretty good indication that it's not a Holy Book.
http://biblehub.com/exodus/21-26.htm
http://biblehub.com/exodus/21-20.htm

So, remember, Christian bible illiterates- if you damage the eye or teeth of a male or female slave he or she gets to go free. if you beat your slave severely but it takes 2 days or longer for him or her to die, you have done nothing wrong.

Yeah, that's some nice timeless advice from your All Knowing God!!
Last edited by Healthyskeptic on Apr 12th, 2016, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

So obviously not looking for other atheists in the Okanagan when quoting scripture - having an identity crisis? Just curious.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling

Post by Healthyskeptic »

No, my main hobby is pointing out Christianity's bible illiterate believers and hypocrites.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Healthyskeptic wrote:No, my main hobby is pointing out Christianity's bible illiterate believers and hypocrites.

So it's your hobby to try and interfere with other beliefs. Where are human values there?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:So it's your hobby to try and interfere with other beliefs. Where are human values there?

What does one have to do with the other?

Is there a bit of hypocrisy in your question? You're in a thread titled Atheists in the okanagan, and your interfering and challenging it with your beliefs.
Last edited by Gixxer on Apr 13th, 2016, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

These are hilarious, silly bible thumpers getting pwned

Last edited by Gixxer on Apr 13th, 2016, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

IMO most Atheists do not care what others believe or do not believe unless "the system" includes mandating religious practices into the expectations it has for its citizens. Requiring that every citizen adopt and be judges by Sharia law would be a classic example in today's world.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:If your Holy Book has rules as to how much you can beat your slave, that's a pretty good indication that it's not a Holy Book.
http://biblehub.com/exodus/21-26.htm
http://biblehub.com/exodus/21-20.htm

So, remember, Christian bible illiterates- if you damage the eye or teeth of a male or female slave he or she gets to go free. if you beat your slave severely but it takes 2 days or longer for him or her to die, you have done nothing wrong.

Yeah, that's some nice timeless advice from your All Knowing God!!

Just as the vast majority of Christians are smart enough to ignore passages like that, the vast majority of atheists also realize that Christians don't go about doing these things. Of course there will always be idiots who think they do. People like Healthyskeptic would knock Christians if they did these things, and also knock them if they don't. Too funny.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby zzontar » 4 minutes ago

Just as the vast majority of Christians are smart enough to ignore passages like that, the vast majority of atheists also realize that Christians don't go about doing these things. Of course there will always be idiots who think they do.

It seems to me that there is a great deal of American Slavery Law that would disagree with you.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Healthyskeptic wrote:No, my main hobby is pointing out Christianity's bible illiterate believers and hypocrites.

:135:
That's your main hobby, is it? Okay... Have at 'er then...
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Donald G wrote:It seems to me that there is a great deal of American Slavery Law that would disagree with you.

I didn't realize people still had slaves. Any proof?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”