Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

Healthyskeptic wrote:I'm saying some people on either side can be *bleep*.



Oh, you got that 100% right! I'll even give ya an amen.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:What Christians need to try to realize is that mocking and ridiculing what we believe to be absolutely ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales and story books is NOT the same as ridiculing someone for believing them.


Believing that all the matter that makes up the universe either appeared from nowhere or existed forever with no beginning seems pretty far-fetched too, should atheists be ridiculed because of it?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Healthyskeptic
Fledgling
Posts: 216
Joined: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:05 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Healthyskeptic »

People have human rights, ideas do not.
I dislike the concept of blasphemy laws.

Something isn't respectable just because it's old, it's written down, or your grandparents find it comforting to believe in.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The job of a skeptic generally comes down to critical examination of doubtful claims.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Healthyskeptic wrote:People have human rights, ideas do not.
I dislike the concept of blasphemy laws.

Something isn't respectable just because it's old, it's written down, or your grandparents find it comforting to believe in.


I believe not long ago that when all the brightest minds agreed the Earth was flat, people respected that because of the above reasons
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

We have blasphemy laws?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Donald G »

Being an Athiest is no big deal. They are just as varied in their (non religious) beliefs as people who believe in any of the 2000 religious gods that humans invented since humans first evolved into *bleep* sapiens sapiens.

Every person in the world has a right to their own beliefs as long as they do not try to impose their beliefs on others by threats or use of force. There is no Utopian right or wrong to being an Athiest any more than there is a Utopian right to believing in a religious god of some sort.

I have never questioned my scientifically chosen beliefs in evolution as proven by genetics and honestly see no purpose in setting out to shore up those who are not sure what to believe either way. Criminal acts committed in the name of religion are just the same as criminal acts committed by athiests. Love or kindness given by an athiest is exactly the same as love or kindness given by a person with religious beliefs.
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14562
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by kgcayenne »


OREZ wrote:On this topic^^^ and since it's an atheist thread, I've got an honest question:

I've often wondered why some atheists (some, definitely not all) feel so compelled to seek out online discussions which people of faith are trying to have, only to try and harass and provoke the participants, often side-tracking the discussion altogether. I believe many atheists are simply not interested in having discussions about faith because they think it's a waste of time, many even going to some effort to avoid it but there is a small contingent who actively pursue it.

Why? Is it because Richard Dawkins told atheists to publicly mock and ridicule believers? Does that really seem like a reasonable thing to do? Anyway, it's the internet and it's easy and even comfortable for some to mock and ridicule any group they choose, unlike doing it in person which is what I think of when I hear "publicly mock and ridicule" How effective is it and what point does it make or is it just for entertainment? It would seem to do a great disservice to atheists who are not at all comfortable with this approach and I believe that they make up the vast majority.

I can't even imagine why I would want to seek out atheist blogs, You Tube channels and message boards to "mock and ridicule"


Farmmaa wrote:I can't imagine that I would ever want to seek out religious blogs, channels or message boards to 'mock and ridicule' anyone either.

I also do not see atheists here mocking and ridiculing anyone.

I don't follow Richard Dawkins, or anyone else for that matter, so I had no idea he said that and no idea why he would.

What Christians need to try to realize is that mocking and ridiculing what we believe to be absolutely ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales and story books is NOT the same as ridiculing someone for believing them.


I find this response rather interesting. The first statement says: "seek out religious blogs, channels or message boards to 'mock and ridicule' anyone either." and then the last statement, which is obviously in the Religion and Spirituality section of this forum, contains the descriptors of: "ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales "

What's interesting is that it doesn't take much to find out whether a poster is indeed finding their way into theistic discussions and subsequently engaging in language and descriptors that take on a tone of mockery or ridicule. The irony is that merely a couple of sentences later, in the very same post, such language is in fact used: "ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales" are not descriptors that are a part of respectful dialogue. Why not just say disagreeing with a concept is not the same as disliking the person? Why? Because someone wanted to get a 'dig' in, methinks, which is fairly obvious.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

kgcayenne wrote:I find this response rather interesting. The first statement says: "seek out religious blogs, channels or message boards to 'mock and ridicule' anyone either." and then the last statement, which is obviously in the Religion and Spirituality section of this forum, contains the descriptors of: "ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales "

What's interesting is that it doesn't take much to find out whether a poster is indeed finding their way into theistic discussions and subsequently engaging in language and descriptors that take on a tone of mockery or ridicule. The irony is that merely a couple of sentences later, in the very same post, such language is in fact used: "ridiculous and far fetched fairy tales" are not descriptors that are a part of respectful dialogue. Why not just say disagreeing with a concept is not the same as disliking the person? Why? Because someone wanted to get a 'dig' in, methinks, which is fairly obvious.


This message board is NOT only for the discussion between believers of certain faiths.
It is an OPEN discussion board for anyone who wants to participate in discussions on different religions, beliefs, cults, spiritual views and practices, atheism, ancient beliefs, etc.
It is NOT a Christian message board.
It is NOT a message board only for believers.

Meaning...atheists are just as welcome to share their views and beliefs here as anyone of any religion.

I have never gone to, visited or participated in a faith only based discussion board or blog and have no desire to.

I have every right to express the fact that I think religion is ridiculous and nothing but stories and myths.
It is my legal right .
I have no obligation to anyone to respect any religious views or beliefs.

That has nothing to do with whether or not I 'like' or dislike' any person of any faith, sect, cult or religious persuasion.

You, or anyone else, are also free to state that you think it's ridiculous not to believe...I really could care less .

Stating how I feel about religion is a right...it has nothing to do with trying to get a 'dig' in for crying out loud.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:I have every right to express the fact that I think religion is ridiculous and nothing but stories and myths.
It is my legal right .


As I stated before, believing that all the matter that makes up the universe either appeared from nowhere or existed forever with no beginning seems pretty far-fetched too, so what's ridiculous is that either side can say the other side is ridiculous.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

Farmmaa wrote:...I really could care less .

You really could care less or you really couldn't care less? It's actually a pretty important distinction. You know, if you want to express yourself accurately.
I have never gone to, visited or participated in a faith only based discussion board or blog and have no desire to.


By the way, you're participating in a "Religion and Spirituality" forum now. Is atheism your religion?
Last edited by OREZ on Apr 8th, 2016, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14562
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by kgcayenne »

From what I see, because Castanet is a forum made up of many topics, the lack of specificity where 'spirituality' is concerned means that delving into the theistic discussions contained within lies outside the definition of "faith only". However, to wade into a 'faith only' dominated forums. _____.net web site with comments discussed earlier would land an atheist in hot cyber water in a hurry. Here on forums.castanet.net this is not the case and therefore open game on theists of any and all kinds.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

OREZ wrote:
By the way, you're participating in a "Religion and Spirituality" forum now. Is atheism your religion?


I'm confused...did they change this to the Proper Grammar Forum in the past hour ????

If one chooses to dismiss opinions or criticize posters for grammar mistakes that were written at 10:00 Pm , after a 10 hour work day ....knock yourself out.

Is spirituality a religion ?

I find it rather ironic and hypocritical for posters to join in on a thread about atheism and then suggest that atheists shouldn't be participating here.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
As I stated before, believing that all the matter that makes up the universe either appeared from nowhere or existed forever with no beginning seems pretty far-fetched too, so what's ridiculous is that either side can say the other side is ridiculous.


I'm not sure what your point is.
The world won't work unless we all agree to adopt the exact same beliefs and views ?
People shouldn't have the right to have a different opinion than you ?
We shouldn't be permitted to express our opinions on matters of religious beliefs ?

There most certainly are plenty of places in the world where these views are not only accepted, but demanded and enforced. Thankfully Canada isn't one of them.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:I'm not sure what your point is.
The world won't work unless we all agree to adopt the exact same beliefs and views ?
People shouldn't have the right to have a different opinion than you ?
We shouldn't be permitted to express our opinions on matters of religious beliefs ?

There most certainly are plenty of places in the world where these views are not only accepted, but demanded and enforced. Thankfully Canada isn't one of them.


My point is that you can have different beliefs and views without having to call the other person's ridiculous.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

Farmmaa wrote:Is spirituality a religion ?

I don't think so. Can an atheist be spiritual? Again, just a question.

I find it rather ironic and hypocritical for posters to join in on a thread about atheism and then suggest that atheists shouldn't be participating here.


I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I was just pointing out that on countless other threads which are clearly meant for discussing religion or various interpretations of the Bible it's pretty much guaranteed to be constantly interrupted by people insisting a person is stupid for believing fairy tales and the thread will inevitably include other forms of mockery and ridicule and I wondered why that was so. Maybe there should be a section of this forum for atheism, I don't know. If there were I would probably stay out of it because I'm not particularly interested in atheism the same way if there were a baseball thread I wouldn't constantly show up there to tell people that I thought baseball was a boring game, not really very athletic, and there was far too much money involved in pro sports, etc. etc.

I don't consider myself religious at all, but I've read the Bible quite a bit and I'm somewhat interested in religions but I don't feel compelled to mock and ridicule people of other religious beliefs - or atheists for that matter. However, when I read the religion and spirituality section of this forum or go to any other place on the internet where religion is being discussed I find it absolutely always includes atheists who are there for no other reason but to ridicule. I just find that strange and so I wondered if an atheist could explain that.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 9th, 2016, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not use all colour in your post. Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”