Atheists in the Okanagan.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
annexi
Board Meister
Posts: 374
Joined: Jul 19th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by annexi »

The plausibility of God depends on ones definition of God.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Poindexter »

annexi wrote:The plausibility of God depends on ones definition of God.


I agree but would also add it depends heavily on our definition of ourselves. Man's desire to be special among all the animals of the world precipitates a deity in human form. If we accept that we are merely upright apes that evolved larger brains a god who's breath gave life to man alone doesn't seem quite as plausible.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Poindexter »

Speaking of plausibility, Christ does soft return to gauge interest. :)

TOPEKA, KS—Descending from on high to gather valuable data on His followers’ preferences, Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, was said to be conducting a soft return this week in hopes of gauging interest in His Second Coming.

Christ reportedly rolled out a test version of His return in select cities—including Topeka, KS, Fort Wayne, IN, and a handful of other locations throughout Christendom—as part of a controlled study to determine who among His flock might look favorably upon a miraculous reappearance and thousand-year reign of their Lord and Savior.

http://www.theonion.com/article/christ- ... rest-52884
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35869
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Glacier »

Image
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Funny, I don't see anyone complaining about your god at all.

One would never complain about or criticise the actions of a being they don't believe exists.
I've never complained about god, because as far as I can see....there's no evidence or reason to believe that he's real and has ever done anything.

Criticizing the actions of churches and organized religion is a different story.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by OREZ »

Yeah, so what?

People who believe in the God you don't believe in also criticize the actions of certain "churches" and religious organizations every day.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3043
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Hmmm »

It must be very sad and lonely to be hopeless with no real future in view. We came from nothing somehow from a single cell that just happen to defy all scientific and mathematical possibility, since the odds of it happening are recognized as past what could be possible and well into the can't happen area,but still it happened.

From that one Impossible cell came all life, including all the plants and food. I just don't seem to have a scientific of a mind to believe in such facts. Oh well.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:It must be very sad and lonely to be hopeless with no real future in view. We came from nothing somehow from a single cell that just happen to defy all scientific and mathematical possibility, since the odds of it happening are recognized as past what could be possible and well into the can't happen area,but still it happened.

From that one Impossible cell came all life, including all the plants and food. I just don't seem to have a scientific of a mind to believe in such facts. Oh well.


Sad, lonely and hopeless ???
Why would atheists be sad, lonely and hopeless ?
Because we're not wasting our lives betting on something better after we're dead ?

I had a very religious friend say that this life is hard, it is full of pan and tests so that he can go to a better place in the next life.
Now...THAT is sad, lonely and hopeless.

Just because we very newborn humans can not fathom yet how life began does not mean that scientific theories are impossible...science is a relatively new thing here on earth..and look how far they've already come.

Why must one know the answer ? Why can't you just enjoy this one amazing life you are given and the people you are given a short time to love? Why does there have to be something more than that ?

Nothing but fear of death.....but death is a natural process that every living thing faces.
It's nothing to fear and certainly no reason to feel empty or sad.
it is however, reason to be content and amazed with this world...here and now.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3043
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^^^ You have to trust in humans to improve things before we destroy ourselves for one thing. I have no such trust. If you trust man to fix it, you're hopeless and you know it. War, terrorism, poverty, injustice are just some other huge things that mankind need to fix. Once you're old and wise enough, you'll know humans can't, won't or whaterever fix these things. The only thing after that is hopelessness if there is no God.

Not to mention lying on your death bed or comforting a friend who lost a loved one. Oh well the circle of life you say. That'll work. Not. Sorry, but no belief in God will eventually lead to hopelessness in my opinion.

As for religious people being oppressed and just waiting for the afterlife, I totally agree, religions leave people hopeless too. But my belief in a creator who cares and who will fix things has nothing to do with religions. I pretty much hate the subject of them all together.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:^^^^^^ You have to trust in humans to improve things before we destroy ourselves for one thing. I have no such trust. If you trust man to fix it, you're hopeless and you know it. War, terrorism, poverty, injustice are just some other huge things that mankind need to fix. Once you're old and wise enough, you'll know humans can't, won't or whaterever fix these things. The only thing after that is hopelessness if there is no God.

Not to mention lying on your death bed or comforting a friend who lost a loved one. Oh well the circle of life you say. That'll work. Not. Sorry, but no belief in God will eventually lead to hopelessness in my opinion.

As for religious people being oppressed and just waiting for the afterlife, I totally agree, religions leave people hopeless too. But my belief in a creator who cares and who will fix things has nothing to do with religions. I pretty much hate the subject of them all together.


Pretty sad outlook of the world.

I'm old and wise enough to have seen more than my fair share of real life...and death, thanks.
And yes, as hard as it is to watch a loved one die...and yes, I have had to do it....my non belief in god did not make me hopeless at all.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3043
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Hmmm »

Farmmaa wrote:
Pretty sad outlook of the world.

I'm old and wise enough to have seen more than my fair share of real life...and death, thanks.
And yes, as hard as it is to watch a loved one die...and yes, I have had to do it....my non belief in god did not make me hopeless at all.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound insulting, but your answer, to me sounds like you just don't really care about anyone but yourself. You just stated that it didn't make YOU hopeless at all. What hope did you give your dying friend? It's not about YOU at that moment is it? If you really cared about the environment, you know mankind isn't going to fix it, you would be hopeless. If you deeply cared about a dying friend, you can't comfort them accept by saying, you lived a good life and that's all. In other words, you can give them no hope or real comfort. Hopeless in other words. If you truly cared about the great injustice masses of people are suffering through and you relied on humans to solve it, you have to know, that we won't. You'd would also be hopeless.

The list goes on. So if you're perfectly happy, wise and content with these things, then my conclusion remains as previously stated. At least you're not alone, there are many selfish, self centred people among us who have no real feelings toward there fellow man. The rest of the atheists who do actually have deep concern for others, know they're hopeless. At least they're honest

Maybe you're not honest and that's the real issue. Can you take a moment and seriously think through the things I said and ask yourself, what your hope is for a better future, or how can you truly comfort a dying friend? I'm interested in how hope plays into it. Again I'm not trying to be insulting, but honest. No God to me, means no hope.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
is winter over
Fledgling
Posts: 117
Joined: Oct 28th, 2011, 7:57 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by is winter over »

Hmmm wrote:I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound insulting, but your answer, to me sounds like you just don't really care about anyone but yourself. You just stated that it didn't make YOU hopeless at all. What hope did you give your dying friend? It's not about YOU at that moment is it? If you really cared about the environment, you know mankind isn't going to fix it, you would be hopeless. If you deeply cared about a dying friend, you can't comfort them accept by saying, you lived a good life and that's all. In other words, you can give them no hope or real comfort. Hopeless in other words. If you truly cared about the great injustice masses of people are suffering through and you relied on humans to solve it, you have to know, that we won't. You'd would also be hopeless.

The list goes on. So if you're perfectly happy, wise and content with these things, then my conclusion remains as previously stated. At least you're not alone, there are many selfish, self centred people among us who have no real feelings toward there fellow man. The rest of the atheists who do actually have deep concern for others, know they're hopeless. At least they're honest

Maybe you're not honest and that's the real issue. Can you take a moment and seriously think through the things I said and ask yourself, what your hope is for a better future, or how can you truly comfort a dying friend? I'm interested in how hope plays into it. Again I'm not trying to be insulting, but honest. No God to me, means no hope.



I do not lead a sad, lonely, self centered life. I am a happy, caring and sharing person, because I understand this is the one life I have and I want to make the most of this time and leave this world a better place for those who will come after my passing. I do have hope and that hope is in an understanding that my actions and my actions alone can in a small seemingly insignificant way make changes for the better, which will have an impact in this world and on others, now and in the future. It’s not god that atheist hate, as we don’t believe god exists, its how believing in a god and the thought that this god will make things right, distorts thinking about reality and the world we all actually live and interact in. Your god is a lie that prevents you from understanding and dealing with reality, you have hope and faith and pray that some invisible being will make things right, instead of doing your part in this world, even in some very small way, to make things better. The world and society has changed and I would say for the better, you might not agree as it conflicts with your dogmatic beliefs, too me your way of thinking is sad and is lonely as it isolates you from reality and from all those that share and make of this world.
My father recently passed and I gave him comfort in his dying days by telling him how his being, his teaching and just simply being part of my life had a impact on who I am and who I want to be, and how grateful I am for him being there for me and part of my life. I told him how I would keep his memory alive as his presence shaped my life and the lives of others, and would continue to do so even after his passing. Too me its far more comforting too hear the reality of what my presence and being has accomplished, then the hopes of some magical wonderland.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Poindexter »

My fathers is quite sick and it's pretty clear he wont be with us much longer. We're both athiests and he likes my theory of the ever after. Basically, not existing prior to birth is one thing we know and all have in common, yet we're here. Who's to say it wont happen again?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by Farmmaa »

Hmmm wrote:I'm sorry and I don't mean to sound insulting, but your answer, to me sounds like you just don't really care about anyone but yourself. You just stated that it didn't make YOU hopeless at all. What hope did you give your dying friend? It's not about YOU at that moment is it? If you really cared about the environment, you know mankind isn't going to fix it, you would be hopeless. If you deeply cared about a dying friend, you can't comfort them accept by saying, you lived a good life and that's all. In other words, you can give them no hope or real comfort. Hopeless in other words. If you truly cared about the great injustice masses of people are suffering through and you relied on humans to solve it, you have to know, that we won't. You'd would also be hopeless.

The list goes on. So if you're perfectly happy, wise and content with these things, then my conclusion remains as previously stated. At least you're not alone, there are many selfish, self centred people among us who have no real feelings toward there fellow man. The rest of the atheists who do actually have deep concern for others, know they're hopeless. At least they're honest

Maybe you're not honest and that's the real issue. Can you take a moment and seriously think through the things I said and ask yourself, what your hope is for a better future, or how can you truly comfort a dying friend? I'm interested in how hope plays into it. Again I'm not trying to be insulting, but honest. No God to me, means no hope.


Not trying to be insulting ?
Who exactly do you think you are ??
I am seriously insulted at your insults and your arrogance.

I'm self centered and selfish because I don't believe in god and heaven and can not give dying friends and family members false hope that they are going to a better place ??????
You know nothing about me or my experiences in life....but let's set the record straight here, shall we ?

I just spent two years taking care of my dying parent....day and night. I was there as soon as I got off work until they fell asleep at night. I helped them eat and drink, washed them, and put their bib on like a young child.
I watched them deteriorate every day....in pain, depressed, helpless, needy, half the time not even aware...but I was still there.
I then had to sit beside them for five days and watch them die. It took five days for them to starve to death.

Exactly what hope and comfort should be offered to someone who can't talk, is in and out of consciousness, weighs 75 pounds and is dying slowly and painfully ???
There was no hope...so I offered all I could...I was there. I showed compassion, empathy and love...which is a hell of a lot better than false hope and empty promises. I never left them alone for a minute for five days straight.

So how dare you. Seriously...how dare you.

I can tell you one thing with 100% certainty....after watching such horrible suffering, drawn out for such an extended period of time....and trust me...the end is NOT peaceful....I put away any doubt I ever may have had as to whether there may be a god of some kind.
No god would ever allow that kind of horrendous suffering.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17298
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Atheists in the Okanagan.

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:Image


How true!!!! :smt045
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”