The Atheists' Conundrum

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby pepsilover » Today, 9:47 am

What I mean is that atheists are like He-Man, they consider themselves the "Masters of Their Universe", which speaks to HUGE ego. But alas, 'never gonna be as big as Jesus'. Not even the 'big rock stars'.

Since they don't believe in any kind of higher power, they make all their own rules, and believe that they decide their destiny in ALL things (unless it's a BAD thing, then they like to blame the non-existent God it seems). Only somebody with an out of control ego would believe that they CONTROL everything in their world. No fate, no '*bleep* happens', no 'weird coincidence', NAH none of that 'cause 'YOU GOT THE POWER'. Yeah. EGO. Easing God Out.

If I'm wrong, tell me what you believe, if not totally in yourself.


Where did you ever get such far fetched beliefs about Atheists ??

Atheists are nothing but normal people who do not happen to believe that a god of the type that you describe exists. I am afraid that they are otherwise the same as everyone else in every other respect. You are confusing a belief in god with all that is moral in the world.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by pepsilover »

What is far fetched about it? It makes perfect sense that when one believes in nothing bigger or more powerful than them, they only have themselves to believe in, and they only account to themselves ultimately. What is it about this that you don't get?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by cliffy1 »

pepsilover wrote:What is far fetched about it? It makes perfect sense that when one believes in nothing bigger or more powerful than them, they only have themselves to believe in, and they only account to themselves ultimately. What is it about this that you don't get?

Not true. There may be something greater than them but it is undefinable, un-namable and infinitely greater than human understanding. Only the ego would be so presumptuous as to think it could.

undefinable.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by pepsilover »

You say it's "not true" but then you go on to move the goalposts, saying that there IS something bigger, but you can't name it or define it.
So according to what I stated it IS true. If there is nothing to believe in, one is left to believe in him or herself, nothing else. I agree that is incredibly egocentric.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20214
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by JLives »

pepsilover wrote:You say it's "not true" but then you go on to move the goalposts, saying that there IS something bigger, but you can't name it or define it.
So according to what I stated it IS true. If there is nothing to believe in, one is left to believe in him or herself, nothing else. I agree that is incredibly egocentric.


It's the universe. I have always loved this:

Image
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by pepsilover »

I am glad that you believe in something. It's important. I will respond in more depth in a bit as I have to go vote NO on the West Kelowna (the district formerly known as Westbank:) city hall.

Thank you for sharing what you believe.

OK I'm back. I liked most of what was written up until the last paragraph, I didn't feel it was necessary to tell people what NOT to believe. Just bad taste if it is a eulogy of sorts, and would be very offensive to those who do believe and are at the memorial.

Is there some reason that BOTH a belief in God and what you wrote can't be correct? Much of what was written reminded me of 'To everything there is a season under Heaven' and the words to that. I don't know, but it seems to me that the science isn't necessarily contradictory to scripture. Who do you believe created the universe? Or what ?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by cliffy1 »

pepsilover wrote:You say it's "not true" but then you go on to move the goalposts, saying that there IS something bigger, but you can't name it or define it.
So according to what I stated it IS true. If there is nothing to believe in, one is left to believe in him or herself, nothing else. I agree that is incredibly egocentric.

Have you ever heard of Karma or natural law? How about "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"? How about the Law of Attraction? Life is about learning how to be a good, authentic person, to become what you were born to be. This does not require the belief in a god out there who judges and punishes you when you screw up. The indigenous people refer to the un-namable everything as the Great Mystery. Others call it The All That Is. There is a creative energy that permeates the Universe and everything in it. Do you really think that this infinitesimal species living on a tiny spec of dust in an infinite sea of tiny specs of dust can comprehend the infinite?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20214
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by JLives »

pepsilover wrote:I am glad that you believe in something. It's important. I will respond in more depth in a bit as I have to go vote NO on the West Kelowna (the district formerly known as Westbank:) city hall.

Thank you for sharing what you believe.

OK I'm back. I liked most of what was written up until the last paragraph, I didn't feel it was necessary to tell people what NOT to believe. Just bad taste if it is a eulogy of sorts, and would be very offensive to those who do believe and are at the memorial.

Is there some reason that BOTH a belief in God and what you wrote can't be correct? Much of what was written reminded me of 'To everything there is a season under Heaven' and the words to that. I don't know, but it seems to me that the science isn't necessarily contradictory to scripture. Who do you believe created the universe? Or what ?


They both can't be correct because only one is a belief. I don't believe in anything, I accept things as true based on evidence. Everything in that eulogy is independently verifiable and it is also beautiful, to me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do accept what it says as well as have faith in a god. That's not me. I'm not capable of faith or belief, nor do I want to be.

I don't believe the universe was created. My answer to how it came to be is "I don't know." and I'm comfortable with that. My best guess is it's always been here in an endless cycle of expansion and contraction. I think the concept of nothing is man made and doesn't actually exist in the natural world. Where ever we expect to find nothing, we always find something.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by pepsilover »

cliffy1 wrote:Have you ever heard of Karma or natural law? How about "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"? How about the Law of Attraction? Life is about learning how to be a good, authentic person, to become what you were born to be. This does not require the belief in a god out there who judges and punishes you when you screw up. The indigenous people refer to the un-namable everything as the Great Mystery. Others call it The All That Is. There is a creative energy that permeates the Universe and everything in it. Do you really think that this infinitesimal species living on a tiny spec of dust in an infinite sea of tiny specs of dust can comprehend the infinite?


You know what Cliffy? When you stop talking down to me I might reply. Until then go pound sand.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Aug 8th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by pepsilover »

JLives could you expand on this? I don't quite understand what you mean here.

"
They both can't be correct because only one is a belief. I don't believe in anything, I accept things as true based on evidence."

Are you making a point of the difference between the words 'belief' and 'acceptance'? Just not quite following you here, but think I am. But if you don't believe in anything, you just said you basically believe in science based on evidence, right? It IS a bit confusing.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20214
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by JLives »

pepsilover wrote:JLives could you expand on this? I don't quite understand what you mean here.

"
They both can't be correct because only one is a belief. I don't believe in anything, I accept things as true based on evidence."

Are you making a point of the difference between the words 'belief' and 'acceptance'? Just not quite following you here, but think I am. But if you don't believe in anything, you just said you basically believe in science based on evidence, right? It IS a bit confusing.


I am using the term belief to refer to something that is not verifiable. You (general you) don't believe in science, science is the method we use to understand the facts and observations of the known natural universe.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17298
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by averagejoe »

I wonder how atheists sing "O Canada"

Maybe a local atheist could could enlighten us?

God is mentioned 5 times and Ruler supreme once.

Oh Canada
lyrics to oh Canada [ all 4 verses ]

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land, glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee;
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


O Canada! Where pines and maples grow,
Great prairies spread and Lordly rivers flow!
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea!
The land of hope for all who toil,
The true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!


O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies,
May Stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise.
To keep thee steadfast thro’ the years,
From East to Western sea.
Our own beloved native land,
Our true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!


Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our Dominion, in thy loving care.
Help us to find, O God, in thee,
A lasting rich reward.
As waiting for the better day,
We ever stand on guard.
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: The Atheists' Conundrum

Post by whatwhat »

^^^ I just try my hardest not to burst in to flames!

But in all seriousness, again with the generalization. I am sure some Atheists have an issue with it, just like some Muslims might have an issue with it. But I think the majority of people don't give a rat's a** about singing the word God in a song.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”