Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by cliffy1 »

For the first time since the Vikings sailed, the Icelandic public are worshiping classical Norse gods like Odin, Thor, and Frigg at a public temple built in their honor. "The worship of Odin, Thor, Freya and the other gods of the old Norse pantheon became an officially recognized religion exactly 973 years after Iceland’s official conversion to Christianity."

An Icelandic association called Asatruarfelagid, which promotes faith in the Norse gods and is headed by high-priest Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, raised sufficient funds and received permission from the government to construct the first such temple in 1,000 years. Observers wonder how the rise of neo-pagan traditions will affect the reception of Christianity.

Professor Luke Timothy Johnson of Emory University says early Christians frequently misinterpreted virtuous gods as demons:

More - http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/iceland-to-officially-worship-norse-gods-again?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1462640255
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Gixxer »

I started watching the show Vikings. The story line between the vikings and christians is really interesting.
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by cliffy1 »

Gixxer wrote:I started watching the show Vikings. The story line between the vikings and christians is really interesting.

I saw a movie, made in Sweden, about that. There was a lot of blood, slavery and violence between the two. Like everywhere else, Christianity was spread by the sword when people wouldn't accept it by other means.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
Posts: 8868
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by zzontar »

... unlike the Vikings, who were into rock, paper scissors to get what they want, but who wants to bash Vikings when you can bash Christians?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by OREZ »

^^LOL!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Gixxer »

cliffy1 wrote:I saw a movie, made in Sweden, about that. There was a lot of blood, slavery and violence between the two. Like everywhere else, Christianity was spread by the sword when people wouldn't accept it by other means.


Yes its crazy to see how all religion was used to brainwash and install fear into the masses before they knew about science.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:... unlike the Vikings, who were into rock, paper scissors to get what they want, but who wants to bash Vikings when you can bash Christians?


Watch the series...it's actually incredibly well done and historically as accurate as possible.
Life is portrayed the way life was back then....and no matter what religion you were - it was a brutal, bloody and difficult time to live.
The show does NOT bash Christians, but neither does it portray them as peaceful, caring souls. They carried out more than their fair share of monstrous atrocities - against their enemies and their own.
It is a fair portrayal of the brutality of both cultures in their attempt to rule.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by JayByrd »

Gixxer wrote:Yes its crazy to see how all religion was used to brainwash and install fear into the masses before they knew about science.


Faith has often become twisted and evil in the hands of men.

Do you think someday, someone might use science to instill fear in people?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Gixxer »

JayByrd wrote:
Faith has often become twisted and evil in the hands of men.

Do you think someday, someone might use science to instill fear in people?


What do you mean someday? Its happening now. But science is real and supported with proof and facts, where religion is based on fairy tales from thousands of years ago.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by OREZ »

The title of this thread is somewhat misleading.

When you say that Iceland is "officially" worshipping Norse gods again it carries with it the inference that the worshipping of Norse gods is now the official state position.

(I realize that this is the slightly sensational, eye-catching title of the article in the link you posted) however;

Officially, the nation is religiously homogenous. Nearly all Icelandic religious followers are Christian, and vast majority of these are Lutheran. Church attendance, however, remains low.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by cliffy1 »

zzontar wrote:... unlike the Vikings, who were into rock, paper scissors to get what they want, but who wants to bash Vikings when you can bash Christians?

A little touchy are we? During that time everybody seemed to be rather violent. Like today, people were very resistant to change. Upsetting the status quo was met with severe backlash. The Vikings resisted violently and the Christians tried to change them violently. For every action is an equal and opposite reaction.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4172
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by JayByrd »

Gixxer wrote: What do you mean someday? Its happening now. But science is real and supported with proof and facts, where religion is based on fairy tales from thousands of years ago.


*shrug*

You brought it up.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 18th, 2016, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 34975
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:... unlike the Vikings, who were into rock, paper scissors to get what they want, but who wants to bash Vikings when you can bash Christians?

Oh ironies of ironies. Scandanavians gave up their Viking ways of raping and pillaging because they embraced Christianity. And here we have hatetheists reveling in the ice of Iceland plunging itself back a 1000 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by cliffy1 »

Glacier wrote:Oh ironies of ironies. Scandanavians gave up their Viking ways of raping and pillaging because they embraced Christianity. And here we have hatetheists reveling in the ice of Iceland plunging itself back a 1000 years.

And perhaps your view of Vikings is a little outdated. If you had bothered to read the article you would see that most of those attending services are Christians. It sounds like the Icelanders are a little more open minded than the North American variety. If you truly believe there is only one god, then perhaps all these other religions are worshiping the same god by a different name and image.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Iceland Is Officially Worshiping Norse Gods Again

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:Oh ironies of ironies. Scandanavians gave up their Viking ways of raping and pillaging because they embraced Christianity. And here we have hatetheists reveling in the ice of Iceland plunging itself back a 1000 years.


Oh, the irony indeed.
It took more than 500 years of invasions and Christian rule for most Scandinavians to 'embrace' Christianity.....and even at that, these remain some the least religious countries in the world. In fact, 8 out of 10 Swedes either consider themselves non religious or atheist.
And yet....they didn't continue raping and plundering without a Christian god.
( although 1000 years ago, Christians were also raping and plundering their way across the world ).

I don't think that exploring the history, customs and mythology of their past is going to set Scandinavia back 1,000 years in time....really.
It is nothing more than people researching and understanding their past and the ways of their ancestors - much like the indigenous peoples of North America are embracing their past traditions....traditions that were all stripped away simply because Christians didn't understand them.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”