Religion and society

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zzontar
Guru

Re: Religion and society

Post by zzontar »

maryjane48 wrote:the map adresses domestic violence .

Seriously, all it says is "least religious countries" and "most peaceful countries." How would you derive it has anything to do with domestic violence?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:I might be wrong but I don't believe the U.S.A. was painted in red.

You're right, I should have had my glasses on... squinting doesn't always cut it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

According to Justin Trudeau, having more religions moving to Canada is what makes society strong, moral, and peaceful.

"Multiculturalism is our strength."
~ T2

P.S. That map on the previous page is a lie made up by atheists to promote their propaganda. Here is the actual map.

China is by far the least religious country on earth. Swedish and the Czech Republic round out the top 3.
leasstr.png

leastreligioiusasdf.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

can ya'll please source your links/images/memes? cuz, like this is 2016, right? internet etiquette and whatnut
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

MrSandman wrote:can ya'll please source your links/images/memes? cuz, like this is 2016, right? internet etiquette and whatnut

Sure thing. Here you go: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... countries/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Glacier wrote:According to Justin Trudeau, having more religions moving to Canada is what makes society strong, moral, and peaceful.

"Multiculturalism is our strength."
~ T2

Multiculturalism does not mean multi religion. That said, I suspect T2 would adjust his statement to say that adding religion makes society moral and peaceful, despite all evidence to the contrary. That man will say anything, then smile, expecting people to believe in him.

Glacier wrote:P.S. That map on the previous page is a lie made up by atheists to promote their propaganda. Here is the actual map.

I have no idea who made the map or whether they believe or don't believe in gods. I suspect the map was actually created by an anti-theist but I'd be guessing, just like you are, only I'm honest about the fact that I'm guessing. All that said, your map looks a lot more accurate since it included China.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/11/thin ... ain-op-ed/

An excerpt from the article.
Take homicide. According to the United Nations’ 2011 Global Study on Homicide, of the 10 nations with the highest homicide rates, all are very religious, and many — such as Colombia, Mexico, El Salvador and Brazil — are among the most theistic nations in the world. Of the nations with the lowest homicide rates, nearly all are very secular, with seven ranking among the least theistic nations, such as Sweden, Japan, Norway and the Netherlands.

Now consider the flip side: peacefulness. According to the nonprofit organization Vision of Humanity, which publishes an annual Global Peace Index, each of the 10 safest and most peaceful nations in the world is also among the most secular, least God-believing in the world. Most of the least safe and peaceful nations, conversely, are extremely religious.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Take a walk through Toyko or Osaka past midnight, while totally drunk and have your pockets filled with Cash.
You'll be safe.

Take a walk through super Catholic Mexico City In the same state. You'll be raped, robbed and murdered.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:Multiculturalism does not mean multi religion. That said, I suspect T2 would adjust his statement to say that adding religion makes society moral and peaceful, despite all evidence to the contrary. That man will say anything, then smile, expecting people to believe in him.

Evidence points both ways. It really depends on what assumptions you start with and what evidence you exclude. Everyone pretty much falls into one of three camps on religion and society.
    1) All religions lead up the same mountain toward enlightenment. They all preach love and tolerance to the benefit of society. This is the hippie philosophy quite common among multiculturalism like Trudeau.
    2) All religions are a drag on society that lead down the mountain into devolution and away from truth. This is common among Reddit atheists.
    3) Only one religion is true, or closer to the truth than the others. The further you get away from that religion, the faster you go down the mountain toward debauchery. This is common among fundamentalist followers of one faith or another.
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Glacier wrote:Evidence points both ways. It really depends on what assumptions you start with and what evidence you exclude. Everyone pretty much falls into one of three camps on religion and society.
    1) All religions lead up the same mountain toward enlightenment. They all preach love and tolerance to the benefit of society. This is the hippie philosophy quite common among multiculturalism like Trudeau.
    2) All religions are a drag on society that lead down the mountain into devolution and away from truth. This is common among Reddit atheists.
    3) Only one religion is true, or closer to the truth than the others. The further you get away from that religion, the faster you go down the mountain toward debauchery. This is common among fundamentalist followers of one faith or another.

And yet, I'd suggest that your three categories are very extreme and that you wouldn't find many people that fit into any of them.

I'd find myself somewhere bettween your 1 and your 2 but both miss the mark by a large margin.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

People use categories to try to make sense of situations and behaviours.

But it seems to me these categories themselves are causes of situations and behaviours. They lead to greater (or different) problems between people, more often than they lead to understanding. They're about assumptions, not solutions. They push people to band together against others, instead of moving us collectively away from groupthink and toward peace.

To my mind, rather than creating categories and labels and applying them (which is, after all, something we do for our own convenience) it's always best to try to see people as the individuals they are. Because if we truly seek truth, and not merely to affirm our own biases, it seems necessary to stop pretending we can know others by the labels and categories we ourselves have bestowed upon them for our own convenience. (That's my deep thought for the day. :biggrin: )
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Spin off in the direction of, “spirituality and society?”
The word religion in itself leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. A young child once asked me, “why are there so many different churches/religions.” And, I think, therein lies the answer. Religion vs spirituality is an organized code of belief and behaviours. Whereas, spirituality is a quest for personal morality and growth.
Take a look at past wars, conflicts, etc., what percentage evolved as a result of religion? Many, I would guess. Consider the conflicts today………………….still same old story.
Religion, early on provided society with its first organized governance of the people. Control, and more control through death, taxes, fear, poverty and intimidation. Not much has changed.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

two_shoes1mit wrote:Take a look at past wars, conflicts, etc., what percentage evolved as a result of religion? Many, I would guess. Consider the conflicts today………………….still same old story.

If you truly believe that with no religion, none of those wars would have happened, then you can blame religion. Then you probably also believe that the US invaded Iraq because God told Bush to do so, which is basically how the other ones started... not that the invaders had an interest in what loot the country had to offer.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

WOW! Talk about 2 + 2 = 32,834. Way to extrapolate and digress so far out to left field that is beyond comprehension of even the most devoted of the conspiracy theorists.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

w84u2 wrote:WOW! Talk about 2 + 2 = 32,834. Way to extrapolate and digress so far out to left field that is beyond comprehension of even the most devoted of the conspiracy theorists.

Just because things are beyond your comprehension doesn't mean no one else will get it. I'm pretty sure most people realize that with no religion there would just be other excuses to war, it doesn't necessarily mean you will realize it though.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”