Religious intolerance: a threat to world peace?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: Religious intolerance: a threat to world peace?

Post by sobrohusfat »

*Removed
Last edited by Frisk on Jun 18th, 2016, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Double in 2008 than in 2007 http://www.canada.com/life/Hate+crimes+ ... story.html

Will that help you make your point?
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Just for fun while we wait, here’s an interesting prediction that Buckminster Fuller made back in 1969.

Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth

Buckminster Fuller

Published by The Estate of R. Buckminster Fuller

<snip>

This "sovereign — meaning top — weapons enforced "national" claim upon humans born in various lands leads to ever more severely specialized servitude and highly personalized identity classification. As a consequence of the slavish "categoryitis" the scientifically illogical, and as we shall see, often meaningless questions "Where do you live?" "What are you?" "What religion?" "What race?" '"What nationality?" are all thought of today as logical questions. By the twenty-first century it either will have become evident to humanity that these questions are absurd and anti-evolutionary or men will no longer be living on Earth. If you don't comprehend why that is so, listen to me closely . . . (pg. 8).

<snip>
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Double in 2008 than in 2007 http://www.canada.com/life/Hate+crimes+ ... story.html

Will that help you make your point?

Oh, so... Canadian Queers are living with a constant fear of imminent death by Christian?

Maybe it's time they arm themselves.

...and then make a Christian bake a cake.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:Are you seriously trying to make a valid point by using such insulting, demeaning language ? :-X

The gayest man on the internet doesn't think the word is demeaning. http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/06/1 ... hts-islam/

P.S. Here is why the left can't tell the difference between a conservative Christian and an Islamic terrorist.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Not sure this is the right thread but I thought it was a good read.

Orlando, Mon Amour: Stand against Terror and Hate ... 06/13/2016

“Let’s get to the root of it: the homophobic mindset that led to this killing did not emerge out of a vacuum. Muslims for Progressive Values and others have been advocating for LGBTQI rights for many years against the homophobic teachings that are widespread in Muslim communities, and we as Muslims need to confront this insidious attitude. The fact is, there is no punishment for being homosexual in the Qur’an, nor did Prophet Muhammad persecute homosexuals.”

Some seemed to be struggling with whether they hated Gay people or Muslims more. (LGBT Muslims must then have had an especially rough day.) There can be no winner in the “hate-off” and we have to counter it with a principled commitment to equality.
But we cannot be tolerant of intolerance either, whoever’s intolerance that may be. Tolerance of intolerance does not produce tolerance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karima-bennoune/orlando-mon-amour-stand-a_b_10431490.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

The hate and intolerance displayed here pretty much makes the original question a rather mute one....or perhaps proof that it was actually a rhetorical question to begin with.

Shaking my head at humanity right now.
Last edited by Farmmaa on Jun 19th, 2016, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Dang! It even makes me feel guilty.

Intolerance is a personal failure to accept reality
Intolerance is a failure of intelligence
Intolerance is an error of judgment about Ultimate Truth
Intolerance is an error which breeds psychological disorder
Intolerance is an error which breeds social disorder
Intolerance is an error which breeds political disorder
Intolerance is a pragmatic failure: it doesn’t work

http://www.mkgandhi.org/ethical/intolerance.htm
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I have no tolerance for intolerance
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Ka-El wrote:I have no tolerance for intolerance

That is intolerant.
Like your avatar. Are you an alien? If I was an alien I wouldn't have any tolerance for humans.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Ka-El wrote:I have no tolerance for intolerance

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 19th, 2016, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post without the personal insults. Thanks.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
cpen

Post by cpen »

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Religion is the threat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Religion can also cause evil people to doing good things. Depends on the religious doctrine one is following.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

Glacier wrote:Religion can also cause evil people to doing good things. Depends on the religious doctrine one is following.

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true - Religion can cause good people to do evil things.
We leak as rivers
Nasturtium
Board Meister

Post by Nasturtium »

cpen wrote:"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Religion is the threat

Glacier wrote:Religion can also cause evil people to doing good things. Depends on the religious doctrine one is following.

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true - Religion can cause good people to do evil things, as "cpen" pointed out.

In this day and age, I don't believe religion is a bad thing, more like something you hold onto, a family keepsake.
Religion, in eccence, kept the peace, hate, prejudice, and love in one, now outdated, package, that sorely needs to meet the desires and passions of the human species should we choose to survive, together, on this very tiny planet, in this vast universe, Earth
We leak as rivers

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”