We are all born Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: We are all born Atheists

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:It seems odd that if we're all born atheist yet most every culture around the world ended up believing in a god without knowledge that other cultures were doing the same. Doesn't seem like much of a default position.

It doesn't seem odd at all if you consider how and why gods came about. ( very few cultures believe in A god ).

It didn't matter where you lived on earth - you still would have encountered many things that you could not explain - natural disasters, disease, comets, thunder and lightening. Gods were invented to explain why these things happened.

What is very odd though is that every culture came up with different gods/spirits/entities and different tales to explain the same occurrences.
If our default position was an inborn knowledge of some sort of higher power - every religion, every culture and every civilization should have ended up with the same deity.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

zzontar wrote:
It seems odd that if we're all born atheist yet most every culture around the world ended up believing in a god without knowledge that other cultures were doing the same. Doesn't seem like much of a default position.

Every culture around the world has a language, cuisine, social hierarchy and a type of music and art that has been borrowed or stolen from other cultures, or developed in house due to isolation. No one is born with any of these skills regardless of whether we have an inherent propensity as humans to develope these in every cultural. Religion is no different.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Poindexter wrote:Every culture around the world has a language, cuisine, social hierarchy and a type of music and art that has been borrowed or stolen from other cultures, or developed in house due to isolation. No one is born with any of these skills regardless of whether we have an inherent propensity as humans to develope these in every cultural. Religion is no different.

With most beliefs, there will be those who choose not to subscribe to that belief. Atheism is not different. Some believe, some don't, but it is a conscious choice.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
is winter over
Fledgling

Post by is winter over »

fluffy wrote:With most beliefs, there will be those who choose not to subscribe to that belief. Atheism is not different. Some believe, some don't, but it is a conscious choice.

Or is it influenced by the environment you are brought up in? Do we actually get to have a choice?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

It seems odd that if we're all born atheist yet most every culture around the world ended up believing in a god without knowledge that other cultures were doing the same. Doesn't seem like much of a default position.

Farmmaa wrote:It doesn't seem odd at all if you consider how and why gods came about. ( very few cultures believe in A god ).

It didn't matter where you lived on earth - you still would have encountered many things that you could not explain - natural disasters, disease, comets, thunder and lightening. Gods were invented to explain why these things happened.

Coming up with something they can't explain to explain what they can't explain is equally odd.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Everywhere was pre scientific. They had No explanations for anything.
Wow, it's a mystery how they came up with thunder means Thunder God.
Sea storms means Sea God
Volcano means Volcano God.
Fire means Fire God.
Small Pox means Small Pox Goddess.
Nature means Forest God.
Wine means Fun Times God....
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:With most beliefs, there will be those who choose not to subscribe to that belief. Atheism is no different. Some believe, some don't, but it is a conscious choice.

is winter over wrote:Or is it influenced by the environment you are brought up in? Do we actually get to have a choice?

Most certainly we are effected by the environment we grow up in. The point I was trying to make is that the premise of this thread, that we are all born atheist, is incorrect. I contend that atheism is a conscious choice, not a default position. Find me an atheist who chooses to adopt that label for any reason other than not believing in god, a position that requires some forethought.
Heal the sick, feed the hungry, care for the weakest among us, and always pray in private.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Nomaster wrote:Everywhere was pre scientific. They had No explanations for anything.
Wow, it's a mystery how they came up with thunder means Thunder God.
Sea storms means Sea God
Volcano means Volcano God.
Fire means Fire God.
Small Pox means Small Pox Goddess.
Nature means Forest God.
Wine means Fun Times God....

It looks like they could at least grasp the fact that a higher being was responsible for all they had, which is very odd for anyone who's default position is atheist.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

A newborn is more like a blank slate than an atheist. Atheism is a belief. I don't think newborns come with pre-formed beliefs of the nature of our cosmos. Or maybe they do, and it is much wiser than anything we arrive at during the course of our lifetimes! No way to know really what or if a newborn believes.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Newborns start life with a fully functioning autonomic nervous systems and a highly sensitive recording system that begins memorizing and cataloging the sensory input from their five senses.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
It looks like they could at least grasp the fact that a higher being was responsible for all they had, which is very odd for anyone who's default position is atheist.

They grasped the 'facts' ?? Seriously ???
No facts were involved in inventing stories and tales of gods.
They were stories and tales. Nothing else.

We now have science to fill in the gaps that our ancestors didn't have access to.
We now know that earthquakes are caused by tectonic fault lines....not by angry gods.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:They grasped the 'facts' ?? Seriously ???
No facts were involved in inventing stories and tales of gods.
They were stories and tales. Nothing else.

We now have science to fill in the gaps that our ancestors didn't have access to.
We now know that earthquakes are caused by tectonic fault lines....not by angry gods.

Perhaps I should have said "concept." Funny how atheists can believe in ghosts, just not holy ghosts. I guess they don't all need scientific proof.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
Perhaps I should have said "concept." Funny how atheists can believe in ghosts, just not holy ghosts. I guess they don't all need scientific proof.

So, according to you - would this be a fact, or a concept ?
That atheists believe in ghosts.
Is this yet another prerequisite that no one bothered to tell me about, to get in to the 'atheist club' ?! :200:
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Farmmaa wrote:So, according to you - would this be a fact, or a concept ?
That atheists believe in ghosts.
Is this yet another prerequisite that no one bothered to tell me about, to get in to the 'atheist club' ?! :200:

http://www.atheistrev.com/2010/05/athei ... hosts.html

As strange as it may initially seem, there are atheists who believe in ghosts. Since atheism refers to one's lack of belief in gods, there is nothing about the definition of atheism that makes this problematic.

I guess your club is letting you down.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

zzontar wrote:
I guess your club is letting you down.

Not my club thanks.

And....FYI - atheism has absolutely nothing to do with how people fell or think about anything but gods.
It has zero to do with belief or lack of belief in ghosts, aliens, bigfoot or unicorns.
Gods, just gods.

That's all atheists have in common - they don't believe in gods.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”