Why do you believe?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1672
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by pentona »

Hmmm wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 9:03 pm
pentona wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm I believe (and I am a christian, though I don't regularly attend church) that there are many many planets out there in our Milky Way Galaxy and millions of other ones that have life on them. I wonder what other religious people believe? It would seem crazy not to think that with billions of galaxies, that each contain millions of planets, that we would be the only tiny planet that sustains life as we know it. Any comments?
I appreciate your point and perhaps one day more planets would be inhabited. If one believes in the Bible being the word of God than it would indicate that no other life is out there. For a good reason in fact. Having to do with Gods purpose. But for sure it’s possible one day that can change.
I appreciate your opinion as well but I find it odd that God would create the universe with billions of galaxies and trillions of stars and planets and ONLY populate ONE, to this date? Just because life outside Earth is not mentioned in the bible does not mean that it doesn't exist, whatsoever.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

pentona wrote: Nov 29th, 2022, 8:47 am
Hmmm wrote: Nov 28th, 2022, 9:03 pm

I appreciate your point and perhaps one day more planets would be inhabited. If one believes in the Bible being the word of God than it would indicate that no other life is out there. For a good reason in fact. Having to do with Gods purpose. But for sure it’s possible one day that can change.
I appreciate your opinion as well but I find it odd that God would create the universe with billions of galaxies and trillions of stars and planets and ONLY populate ONE, to this date? Just because life outside Earth is not mentioned in the bible does not mean that it doesn't exist, whatsoever.
It has nothing to do that life outside earth isn’t mentioned. It has to do with why god created mankind and why there is currently wickedness. When his purpose is fulfilled which I think will be soon, than who knows. New scrolls are said to be opened and new purposes told about maybe. So to be clear the answer has to do with why he allows wickedness for a time, not that it’s simply not mentioned about life elsewhere. If you understood that issue you would probably agree that it makes no sense to have life elsewhere at this time. Want some direction where to find accurate answers in the Bible feel free to PM.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
DataCruncher
Übergod
Posts: 1625
Joined: Jul 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by DataCruncher »

"why he allows wickedness for a time"

Because if there weren't, we'd have difficulties discovering and understanding kindness, sympathy, .....
and essentially having nothing to compare to would in itself give us less to learn from.

If God had to be here at every waking second to issue orders, I wouldn't blame him for feeling the need to start over.
However I don't believe that's the case, because, we have free will.

IMO,
We're here to experience life, on this planet. How we choose to interact is based on acquired knowledge, then to make and determine our own destinies.

And it's really difficult for all of us to stay focused on, and to achieve - in a world which has been permeated with greed, wars and deliberate misguidance, just to name a few.
It's not up to God to fix it. It's up to us, and it is chaotic, by full intention.

Is the pen mightier than the sword?
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^^^^That’s your opinion and ideas. You’re welcome to them of course. I’m referring to what’s actually written in the Bible. So it’s not my opinion. I’ve been a teacher of the Bible for over 30 years. Not that it makes me an expert but just as a reference. I do know what’s actually recorded in it
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
DataCruncher
Übergod
Posts: 1625
Joined: Jul 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by DataCruncher »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 29th, 2022, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^ not trying to argue with you in the least. I’m just pointing out where I get my information from. And maybe you thought the Bible actually teaches what you mentioned about God and free will and so forth. Most people, even Christian’s think they’re quoting or mentioning a Bible truth when in fact it isn’t found in it at all. Pm if you do want to know where to look in the Bible for your answers.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
DataCruncher
Übergod
Posts: 1625
Joined: Jul 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by DataCruncher »

Thank you,
but no thank you.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

DataCruncher wrote: Nov 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm Thank you,
but no thank you.
That’s ok. Just offering.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
DataCruncher
Übergod
Posts: 1625
Joined: Jul 24th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by DataCruncher »

Hmmm wrote: Nov 30th, 2022, 9:06 am
DataCruncher wrote: Nov 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm Thank you,
but no thank you.
That’s ok. Just offering.
:up:
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
Dead right
Fledgling
Posts: 256
Joined: Nov 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Dead right »

Hmmm wrote: Nov 29th, 2022, 1:33 pm I’m just pointing out where I get my information from.
The problem with the source is that it is not necessarily based on fact and is subject to interpretations. Free will is not a gift to be given you have or you do not, that simple.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

Dead right wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 9:34 am
Hmmm wrote: Nov 29th, 2022, 1:33 pm I’m just pointing out where I get my information from.
The problem with the source is that it is not necessarily based on fact and is subject to interpretations. Free will is not a gift to be given you have or you do not, that simple.
Free will is clearly spoken of as God giving to mankind. Most of the other things previously mentioned are not found in the Bible. Nothing to misinterpret as they simply are not there at all. So if one claims to be Christian than they may wish to actually learn what is in the Bible rather than just their own ideas or thoughts. Bible teachings can in fact be very clear. One needs to study properly though. You cannot say the Bible teaches this or that when some verses directly contradict it. This method of study can be demonstrated very easily though. A non believer would still agree that the conclusions are in fact what the Bible teaches. They don’t need to accept it but it would be clear what the accurate teaching is.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 34892
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by GordonH »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 6:15 pm
Dead right wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 9:34 am

The problem with the source is that it is not necessarily based on fact and is subject to interpretations. Free will is not a gift to be given you have or you do not, that simple.
Free will is clearly spoken of as God giving to mankind. Most of the other things previously mentioned are not found in the Bible. Nothing to misinterpret as they simply are not there at all. So if one claims to be Christian than they may wish to actually learn what is in the Bible rather than just their own ideas or thoughts. Bible teachings can in fact be very clear. One needs to study properly though. You cannot say the Bible teaches this or that when some verses directly contradict it. This method of study can be demonstrated very easily though. A non believer would still agree that the conclusions are in fact what the Bible teaches. They don’t need to accept it but it would be clear what the accurate teaching is.
I find it a shame that believers of the bible continue break into little bits. Chapters & verses didn’t come along until after it translated into english.
Of course this enables things to be taken out totally out context.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ you assume a lot. People often repeat things like you said. The problem is, it really isn’t at all like you imagine. It’s that way only in your imagination. I can demonstrate this in person one day if you wish, but I think you only want to do a drive by criticism that you think sounds good. But let me know if I’m wrong. I’ll buy the coffee.
Ps: Yes it is chapters and verses added later. You’re correct but the not being able to come to accurate conclusions is wrong. You 100% can. And that goes all the way back to ancient writings. Not in English.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 34892
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by GordonH »

Hmmm wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 7:46 pm ^^^ you assume a lot. People often repeat things like you said. The problem is, it really isn’t at all like you imagine. It’s that way only in your imagination. I can demonstrate this in person one day if you wish, but I think you only want to do a drive by criticism that you think sounds good. But let me know if I’m wrong. I’ll buy the coffee.
Ps: Yes it is chapters and verses added later. You’re correct but the not being able to come to accurate conclusions is wrong. You 100% can. And that goes all the way back to ancient writings. Not in English.
:spitcoffee: you crack me up, go listen to some of the stuff being spoken/taught in churches on any given Sunday.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3098
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Why do you believe?

Post by Hmmm »

That I agree 100% with you. I think they teach lies. Easily proven lies at that. Interesting too, that this situation regarding teaching lies is a prophecy in the Bible. Very clearly written and specific. Most people prefer the lies though or family pressure, tradition keep them from leaving. My point is about how to study the Bible and actually come to an accurate answer on what it teaches. It’s not hard to do btw. But first forget what you’ve been taught. The square pegs religion keeps tying to pound into round holes just doesn’t work and yes confuses people. The truth is clear and fits perfectly.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”