What Did Jesus Look Like?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: What Did Jesus Look Like?

Post by Glacier »

Even Steven wrote:They were basically Arabs with a cooky religion. There's no way he was white lol.

They were definitely not Arabs. Arabs at the time were down on the Saudi peninsula.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

If Jesus were alive today he would be racially profiled, labelled subversive and likely placed on the no-fly list.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The Gospels in the Bible say that Jesus was a Jew who was born around 4 B.C. in Bethlehem and lived in Egypt as a child for a short time before moving to Nazareth. These writings make no mention of what Jesus looked like, aside from some references to the clothing that he and his disciples wore, wrote Joan Taylor, professor of Christian Origins and Second Temple Judaism at King's College London, in her book "What Did Jesus Look Like?" (T&T Clark, 2018).

"It's so curious how little is made of it, what he looked like," Taylor told Live Science.

Even so, both Moses (the prophet said to have led the Israelites) and David, who the Bible says killed Goliath, were described as being handsome figures in the Hebrew Bible.

Additionally, the earliest artistic depictions of Jesus date to at least two centuries after he died, and they provide little credible information about what Jesus may have looked like, Taylor wrote in her book.

To get an idea of Jesus' visage, Taylor turned to archaeology and texts that provide clues about the general appearance of Jews in Judea and Egypt at the time Jesus lived. She also looked at artistic images on coins and Egyptian mummy paintings.

According to Taylor's research, rather than towering over others in Judea, Jesus was about 5 foot 5 inches (1.7 meters) tall, or the average height seen in skeletal remains from males there at the time. People in Judea and Egypt tended to have brown eyes, black hair and olive-brown skin, based on surviving archaeological remains, historical texts and depictions of people seen in mummy portraits from Egypt, Taylor said in her book.

There was interaction between Judea and people from Europe (who could have lighter skin) as well as Sudan and Ethiopia (who could have darker skin). But because Jews in Judea and Egypt tended to marry among themselves at the time, Jesus' skin, eyes and hair probably looked like those of the majority of the people in Judea and Egypt, Taylor found. Surviving texts say that Jews in Egypt couldn't be physically distinguished from the rest of Egypt's population around Jesus' time.

Historical records also showed that people in Judea tended to keep their hair (and beards) reasonably short and well-combed, probably to keep out lice, a big problem at the time, Taylor said. Jesus likely did the same.

He could have used a knife to trim his hair and beard, Taylor said, noting that people in the ancient world tended to be more skilled with knives than people are today.

Jesus is portrayed in the gospels as a carpenter who did a lot of walking but at times didn't have much to eat. This active lifestyle, but lack of regular food, meant that he was probably thin, but somewhat muscular, Taylor said. "Jesus was a man who was physical in terms of the labor that he came from," Taylor said. "He shouldn't be presented as [in] any way someone who was living a soft life, and sometimes that's the kind of image we get."

Some aspects of Jesus' face, such as his mouth and cheeks, are anyone's guess, Taylor said. He may have had facial scars or skin damage from his work as a carpenter, but there's no way to tell, Taylor said.

She said she is skeptical of depictions of Jesus that show him as being very handsome. If Jesus were handsome, Taylor said, the gospel writers, or other early Christian writers, would have said so, as they did for Moses and David.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:No credible archeologists believes any of that. I'm pretty opened minded about alternative theories, but it just doens't seem credible to me. DNA testing shows that the whitest people were in Northern Europe. There's no way to know for sure what Jesus looked like, but I think it's pretty safe to say that western and northern Europeans are not the lost tribes of Israel.

Northern European people (Scandinavian) migrated from the Mouth of the Don River on the Black Sea according to Icelandic historian Snorri Sturluson (1200 AD). Interesting that he mentions the name of their 2 tribes that moved to Scandinavia. One being the Van Tribe and the other was The Tribe of Asher. Asher was one of the sons of Jacob/Israel...

Asher, one of the 12 tribes of Israel that in biblical times constituted the people of Israel. The tribe was named after the younger of two sons born to Jacob (also called Israel) and Zilpah, the maidservant of Jacob's first wife, Leah.

DNA chart showing Scandinavian migration from Asia.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote: There's no way to know for sure what Jesus looked like,

So you do not take letters from Roman Governors to the Roman Emperors as proof as to what Jesus looks like? They describe him as they had met him. So your saying eye witnesses don't count?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

averagejoe wrote:So you do not take letters from Roman Governors to the Roman Emperors as proof as to what Jesus looks like? They describe him as they had met him. So your saying eye witnesses don't count?

Provide a source of Romans.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:but I think it's pretty safe to say that western and northern Europeans are not the lost tribes of Israel.

Then where did the Lost Tribes of Israel go to?

Who was Jesus sent to be with:

Matthew 15:24
“I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Jesus command to his Disciples:

Matthew 10:5
These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Matthew 10:6
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:So you do not take letters from Roman Governors to the Roman Emperors as proof as to what Jesus looks like? They describe him as they had met him. So your saying eye witnesses don't count?

Glacier wrote:Provide a source of Romans.

The letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar

This is a reprinting of a letter from Pontius Pilate to Tiberius Caesar describing the physical appearance of Jesus. Copies are in the Congressional Library in Washington, D.C.

TO TIBERIUS CAESAR:

A young man appeared in Galilee preaching with humble unction, a new law in the Name of the God that had sent Him. At first I was apprehensive that His design was to stir up the people against the Romans, but my fears were soon dispelled. Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews. One day I observed in the midst of a group of people a young man who was leaning against a tree, calmly addressing the multitude. I was told it was Jesus. This I could easily have suspected so great was the difference between Him and those who were listening to Him. His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect. He appeared to be about 30 years of age. Never have I seen a sweeter or more serene countenance. What a contrast between Him and His bearers with their black beards and tawny complexions! Unwilling to interrupt Him by my presence, I continued my walk but signified to my secretary to join the group and listen. Later, my secretary reported that never had he seen in the works of all the philosophers anything that compared to the teachings of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was neither seditious nor rebellious, so we extended to Him our protection. He was at liberty to act, to speak, to assemble and to address the people. This unlimited freedom provoked the Jews -- not the poor but the rich and powerful.

Later, I wrote to Jesus requesting an interview with Him at the Praetorium. He came. When the Nazarene made His appearance I was having my morning walk and as I faced Him my feet seemed fastened with an iron hand to the marble pavement and I trembled in every limb as a guilty culprit, though he was calm. For some time I stood admiring this extraordinary Man. There was nothing in Him that was repelling, nor in His character, yet I felt awed in His presence. I told Him that there was a magnetic simplicity about Him and His personality that elevated Him far above the philosophers and teachers of His day.

Now, Noble Sovereign, these are the facts concerning Jesus of Nazareth and I have taken the time to write you in detail concerning these matters. I say that such a man who could convert water into wine, change death into life, disease into health; calm the stormy seas, is not guilty of any criminal offense and as others have said, we must agree -- truly this is the Son of God.

Your most obedient servant,
Pontius Pilate

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

"The Archko Volume"

Another description of Jesus is found in "The Archko Volume" which contains official court documents from the days of Jesus. This information substantiates that He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. In a chapter entitled "Gamaliel's Interview" it states concerning Jesus (Yeshua) appearance:

"I asked him to describe this person to me, so that I might know him if I should meet him. He said: 'If you ever meet him [Yeshua] you will know him. While he is nothing but a man, there is something about him that distinguishes him from every other man. He is the picture of his mother, only he has not her smooth, round face. His hair is a little more golden than hers, though it is as much from sunburn as anything else. He is tall, and his shoulders are a little drooped; his visage is thin and of a swarthy complexion, though this is from exposure. His eyes are large and a soft blue, and rather dull and heavy....' This Jew [Nazarite] is convinced that he is the Messiah of the world. ...this was the same person that was born of the virgin in Bethlehem some twenty-six years before..."

- The Archko Volume, translated by Drs. McIntosh and Twyman of the Antiquarian Lodge, Genoa, Italy, from manuscripts in Constantinople and the records of the Senatorial Docket taken from the Vatican of Rome (1896) 92-93

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Description of King David with red hair....

The Bible’s first description of David focuses on his physical beauty, “a redhead with beautiful eyes (Blue or green eyes?) and good looks,” and later on, when describing the boy from King Saul’s court, the Bible mentions his beauty once more.

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Since when were gingers beautiful.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The last time I saw "Jesus" he looked like a Mexican pool boy.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Bsuds wrote:The last time I saw "Jesus" he looked like a Mexican pool boy.

I used to know a caribbean "Jesus" as well, he was a big dude worked out a lot.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:The last time I saw "Jesus" he looked like a Mexican pool boy.

Nikolas Jesus Cruz looks like an American to me. That's right, Jesus is American...

cruz.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glac now your being silly... :138:

LOL Jesus just can't be white! :130:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”