Would Jesus vote for Trump?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Would Jesus vote for Trump?

Post by Omnitheo »

Add to that, if Jesus were posting on these forums, people like AJ would be attacking him and calling him a communist.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Well if he ever even existed he would have to register and show his I.D. to be eligible to vote....might be a problem. Also as a convicted felon and imprisoned he might not have the right to vote. Given that the only written accounts of his supposed existence were written centuries after his death even his existence on earth is suspect to say the least.

So...convicted felon..suspicious circumstances surrounding his existence...incredulous reports of his rising after death...sounds like Trump should give him a cabinet position whether he votes for him or not.
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Well if he ever even existed he would have to register and show his I.D. to be eligible to vote....might be a problem. Also as a convicted felon and imprisoned he might not have the right to vote. Given that the only written accounts of his supposed existence were written centuries after his death even his existence on earth is suspect to say the least.

Centuries? You might want to look up what the scholars and scientists say about that before going full moon conspiracy theorist nutjob.
https://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/crossroa ... spels.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel

He wasn't a criminal until his 30s, so he would have had time to vote in his 20s.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

- Jewish Antiquities

Jewish Historian Flavius Josephus (37 – 100 AD)
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Well if he ever even existed. Given that the only written accounts of his supposed existence were written centuries after his death even his existence on earth is suspect to say the least.

In 156 AD 123 years after Christ was Crucified, Britain became Christian under British King Lucius.

“In the year of our Lord 156, Lucius, King of the Britons, sent his ambassadors, Elfan and Medwy, to Eleutherius, who was the twelfth Pope of the Apostolic See, imploring, according to his admonition, that he might be made a Christian, to which request he acceded; for giving thanks to God because that nation, which from the first inhabiting thereof by Brutus had been heathens, so ardently desired to embrace the faith of Christ, he with the advice of the elders of the Roman city, was pleased to cause the ambassadors to be baptized; and on their embracing the Catholic faith, Elfan was ordained a Bishop, and Medwy a Doctor. Through their eloquence, and the knowledge which they had in the Holy Scriptures, they returned preachers to Lucius in Britain; by whose holy preaching, Lucius, and the nobles of all Britain, received baptism; and according to the command of St Eleutherius, the Pope, he constituted an ecclesiastical order, ordained bishops, and taught the way of leading a good life.”
‘Liber Landavensis’, ‘Of the First State of the Church of Llandaff’
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Able
Fledgling

Post by Able »

Glacier wrote:
Bull Goose Looney wrote:Well if he ever even existed he would have to register and show his I.D. to be eligible to vote....might be a problem. Also as a convicted felon and imprisoned he might not have the right to vote. Given that the only written accounts of his supposed existence were written centuries after his death even his existence on earth is suspect to say the least.

Centuries? You might want to look up what the scholars and scientists say about that before going full moon conspiracy theorist nutjob.
https://www.bc.edu/schools/stm/crossroa ... spels.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel

He wasn't a criminal until his 30s, so he would have had time to vote in his 20s.

Oh My!! "conspiracy".."Nutjob"...boy that cuts to the bone..I may get the vapours! What an enlightened response! It smacks of insecurity.There is no evidence that there ever was such a person. There are no extemporaneous reports regarding this mans existence, all there is are rumors, hearsay, gossip , speculation,and conjecture...nothing that would be admissible in a court of law in more enlightened times.

I am struck by how quickly you sunk to the depth of name calling..not very christian of you really but when you are on unstable ground it is something of a refuge I guess. In the middle ages clergy used to sell benefices to enrich themselves. Benefices are a kind of "get out of hell free" card for sinners...now that was a moneymaker!!!!! I suggest you avail yourself of this practice..they call it tithing now and your unchristian response will be magically washed away. No need to self flagellate over this.
You, of course, have every right to your beliefs as I do to mine. You also have every right to your own opinion..but not your own facts.My opinion is that there is no credible evidence supporting the existence of this person.

As Christopher Hitchens once said,"that which can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence".
Sometimes you eat the bear.....sometimes the bear eats you.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

As Christopher Hitchens once said,"that which can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence".[/quote]

After u die. Do u think anyone will write your story ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bull Goose Looney wrote:Oh My!! "conspiracy".."Nutjob"...boy that cuts to the bone..

It shouldn't. It's right there in your name. Looney. Nutjob should be a compliment. Now that said, I was not calling you a looney. Not at all. You said something conspiracy theorists say, but you seem like a sensible person, so were probably just ill-informed. If you were a real conspiracy theorist, you would just double down when presented with facts, which seems to be what happens when I engage averagejoe. Sorry Joe, you are a nice guy and you aren't wrong about everything, but this eurocentric view of the bible is not held by any sane scholars.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

averagejoe wrote:
Bull Goose Looney wrote:Well if he ever even existed. Given that the only written accounts of his supposed existence were written centuries after his death even his existence on earth is suspect to say the least.

In 156 AD 123 years after Christ was Crucified, Britain became Christian under British King Lucius.

“In the year of our Lord 156, Lucius, King of the Britons, sent his ambassadors, Elfan and Medwy, to Eleutherius, who was the twelfth Pope of the Apostolic See, imploring, according to his admonition, that he might be made a Christian, to which request he acceded; for giving thanks to God because that nation, which from the first inhabiting thereof by Brutus had been heathens, so ardently desired to embrace the faith of Christ, he with the advice of the elders of the Roman city, was pleased to cause the ambassadors to be baptized; and on their embracing the Catholic faith, Elfan was ordained a Bishop, and Medwy a Doctor. Through their eloquence, and the knowledge which they had in the Holy Scriptures, they returned preachers to Lucius in Britain; by whose holy preaching, Lucius, and the nobles of all Britain, received baptism; and according to the command of St Eleutherius, the Pope, he constituted an ecclesiastical order, ordained bishops, and taught the way of leading a good life.”
‘Liber Landavensis’, ‘Of the First State of the Church of Llandaff’

Except there likely is no Lucius.

There is no contemporary evidence for a king of this name, and modern scholars believe that his appearance in the Liber Pontificalis is the result of a scribal error. However, for centuries the story of this "first Christian king" was widely believed, especially in Britain, where it was considered an accurate account of Christianity among the early Britons. During the English Reformation, the Lucius story was used in polemics by both Catholics and Protestants; Catholics considered it evidence of papal supremacy from a very early date, while Protestants used it to bolster claims of the primacy of a British national church founded by the crown.

The first mention of Lucius and his letter to Eleutherius is in the Catalogus Felicianus, a version of the Liber Pontificalis created in the 6th century.Why the story appears there has been a matter of debate. In 1868 Arthur West Haddan and William Stubbs suggested that it might have been pious fiction invented to support the efforts of missionaries in Britain in the time of Saint Patrick and Palladius.In 1904 Adolf von Harnack proposed that there had been a scribal error in Liber Pontificalis with ‘Britanio' Britannia being written as an erroneous expansion for 'Britio' Birtha or Britium in what is now Turkey. The full name was 'Britio Edessenorum,' the citadel of Edessa, present day Şanlıurfa in Turkey. The name of the King of Edessa was Lucius Aelius Abgar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_of_Britain
Follow link for citations
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

You need to stop running to wikipedia. How many times have I told you.

You need to actually do some research to back your claims. Here's mine.

Lleuver Mawr ap Coilus, Saint, King of the Silures
Welsh: Lleiffer ap Coel, Saint, King of the Silures
Also Known As: "Lleiffer", "Lleurug Mawr", "Lucius", "Llewfer", "Lleuver", "King of the Britons", "the Great", "Lucius The Great", "the Great Blessed", "the Blessed"
Birthdate: before circa 136
Birthplace: Llanilid, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales, United Kingdom
Death: circa 181
St Mary Le Lode, Gloucestershire, England
Immediate Family:

Son of Coel (Coelus) King of Britain and Ystdrawl verch-Cynvelyn Gadeon, Catuvellauni Tribe
Husband of Gwladys "the Elder" verch Eurgen
Father of Cadwaladr . ap Lucius, of Colchester; Eurgen verch Lleuver Mawr and Gwladys of Britain (Silures tribe)
Brother of Saint Emerita verch Coel; NN . ap Coilus, Grandfather of Aoife . of Gall-Gaidheal; NN . verch Coilus and Athildis verch Coilus (Fictitious Person)
Occupation: konge, Britisk konge (Silures tribe), King in Britian, King, Good King, aka Lleirwg (Lleuver Lleiffer Llewfer) of BRITAIN; (first Christian) King of BRITONS (SILURIA), Kung, King of Britain, Britisk konge, King of Bretagne, "Lucius the Great".

https://www.geni.com/people/St-Lucius-L ... 0396294595

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I would like to point out the Wikipedia link posted by Omnitheo is also in the above link. Just sayin'
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles......

(A.D. 167 . This year Eleutherius succeeded to the popedom, and
held it fifteen years; and in the same year Lucius, king of the
Britons, sent and begged baptism of him
. And he soon sent it
him, and they continued in the true faith until the time of
Diocletian.))

http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/1-448.html

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:Sorry Joe, you are a nice guy and you aren't wrong about everything, but this eurocentric view of the bible is not held by any sane scholars.

I'll take ancient Scholars and writings over today's Scholars any time...

I was under the assumption that Europe was the center of Western Christian Civilization. But according to you it, it isn't.

My bad.... :D

What people spread the Christian faith around the world. I guess I was looking in all the wrong places hey Glac?

So that ancient stuff I was posting was fake history? :smt045

Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I'll take ancient Scholars and writings over today's Scholars any time...

I prefer more credible scholars as well Joe, it's why I only listen to scholars from Trump University.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

averagejoe wrote:I'll take ancient Scholars and writings over today's Scholars any time...

I was under the assumption that Europe was the center of Western Christian Civilization. But according to you it, it isn't.

My bad.... :D

What people spread the Christian faith around the world. I guess I was looking in all the wrong places hey Glac?

So that ancient stuff I was posting was fake history? :smt045

For the most part most of it is legend at best. The Christian faith started in the Middle East. It spread west because of free movement within the Roman Empire. It also spread east and south. Also, it's very common in south and central America. If we look at today's data, Christianity is in decline in the west and in the rise in Africa. Pretty soon we'll be seeing African missionaries coming to Canada to indoctrinate spread the good news.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”