Why do Christians feel the need to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
richardclank
Fledgling

Why do Christians feel the need to convert people?

Post by richardclank »

Have you ever had a Christian basically harass you with questions like, "why don't you go to church?" "Why don't you love Jesus, he saved you you know?"

I find it really annoying and distracting especially in a workplace.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Re: Why do Christians feel the need to convert people?

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

At work no. If you feel you are being harassed report the person to HR or a supervisor. The rules are pretty clear.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

It’s not just Christians, what about JW’s and Mormons.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, in the work place there is no place for even covert conversations about ones religion. It all adds up to harassment.

Happened to me when I lived in Midway, BC.

Invitations to the church.
Do you know Jesus?

In fact, I have an extensive background in religion and christianity, I just didn't need harassment at work about why and what as to what I was doing in that moment.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

iirc jesus isn’t coming back until everyone in all corners of the earth know about him. (sounds a little narcissistic)
So christians are busy telling everyone about their dude.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Because misery loves company.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

Not much worse than evangelical types and their stories of their loving god and the ways he will torment you for eternity because he loves you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Might find an answer on a previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54149&p=1762113#p1762113
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It depends on your personality type. Some people view the world as "you have your religion and I have mine" and others view the world as "it's my job to correct everyone who is wrong until they realize that I'm right." Both types apply to Christians, atheists, Muslims, etc.

someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Attachments
image.jpeg
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I enjoy harrassing people. Im not even christian.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

It says somewhere in the bible to baptize the four corners of the earth in the name of the son and holy ghost or some rubbish like that.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While it's true that Christians often try to convert non-believers to their own way of thinking, they're not the only group that does so. Many atheists often spend a great deal of time trying to convert believers into becoming non-believers like themselves. And other religious groups, such as Islam, also believe that their particular world view is the only valid world view.

The point is that ALL of the different world views are just that, a point of view that a particular person holds about humanity and our place in the Universe. And we all have our own particular point of view that we believe to be the correct one.

Maybe the reason we try to convert others to share our view is because there's "safety in numbers". The more people who think the same way we do, the more comfortable we are that our viewpoint is the correct one.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Merry wrote:While it's true that Christians often try to convert non-believers to their own way of thinking, they're not the only group that does so. Many atheists often spend a great deal of time trying to convert believers into becoming non-believers like themselves. And other religious groups, such as Islam, also believe that their particular world view is the only valid world view.

The point is that ALL of the different world views are just that, a point of view that a particular person holds about humanity and our place in the Universe. And we all have our own particular point of view that we believe to be the correct one.

Maybe the reason we try to convert others to share our view is because there's "safety in numbers". The more people who think the same way we do, the more comfortable we are that our viewpoint is the correct one.

Atheists just respond to the ridiculous claims of Christians about their unverified stories of talking snakes and donkeys and flying corpses of Jewish carpenters flying into the sky, we don't convert anyone. We just use reason and apparently that is upsetting to Christians.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

capleton wrote:Atheists just respond to the ridiculous claims of Christians about their unverified stories of talking snakes and donkeys and flying corpses of Jewish carpenters flying into the sky, we don't convert anyone. We just use reason and apparently that is upsetting to Christians.

That may be so for you (that you simply respond) but it's certainly not true for a lot of atheists I've met over the years. Many are absolutely obsessed with convincing everyone they meet that their particular world view is the correct one. And I suspect it's for the reason I outline above (safety in numbers).

If atheists are so convinced that Christians are all "nutters" why do they waste so much time trying to discredit them?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”