Why do Christians feel the need to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Why do Christians feel the need to convert people?

Postby Glacier » Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

The fine line between religious laws and secular laws is not always clear. We can talk about the ban on Sunday shopping for example. My in-laws from the states, even the most right-wing ones, were horrified when they came to Canada and couldn't buy stuff on Sunday. Sunday laws were lifted in Canada a mere 10 years ago, and it was both secular and religious reasons for keeping them in place. You will invariably have laws in place that people don't always agree with, often both religious and secular reasons for supporting and opposing the laws.

Thankfully, we have a Constitution and 1000 years of English Common Law that emphasizes freedom, so any laws to do put restrictions on people need to pass the freedom sniff test.

P.S. What is the purpose of posting your opinion?
A: To convert people to your way of thinking.
B: To let others know that there are people out there with a different opinion (and thus you hope that some will embrace your way of thinking).
C: You've never really given it much thought as to way you feel the need to post your opinion (and thus don't realize yet that you would like to convert people to your way of thinking).
D: All of the above.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12745 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:02 pm

Glacier wrote:P.S. What is the purpose of posting your opinion?
A: To convert people to your way of thinking.
B: To let others know that there are people out there with a different opinion (and thus you hope that some will embrace your way of thinking).
C: You've never really given it much thought as to way you feel the need to post your opinion (and thus don't realize yet that you would like to convert people to your way of thinking).
D: All of the above.

Not sure if this is aimed at me Glac. But if so, I'd just add another option:

E: Provide a different perspective and possibly challenge people to question their way of thinking.

That is the only reason I engage in conversations here. To help my understand how and why other think the way they do, and to offer my perspective that often is in conflict with theirs. I rarely join a conversation just to agree. :)
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:04 pm

my5cents wrote:
youjustcomplain wrote:Right. Even though it's not universal that Christians show content ......….

Should that be "contempt" ?

Gah, I was in a rush. Yes, I was trying to write "contempt".
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Glacier » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:11 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:Not sure if this is aimed at me Glac. But if so, I'd just add another option:

E: Provide a different perspective and possibly challenge people to question their way of thinking.

That is the only reason I engage in conversations here. To help my understand how and why other think the way they do, and to offer my perspective that often is in conflict with theirs. I rarely join a conversation just to agree. :)

Cool, but by doing so, you are doing what I describe in B, which as far as I can tell, is to get people change their way of thinking. If you want people to challenge their way of thinking, then you think that maybe they should change their way of thinking if it's wrong. As any JW knows (and as you and I also know), the vast majority will not change their way of thinking, but a small percentage will, and that's the reason you or I make posts that challenge another post (and also why a JW knocks on your door).
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12745 posts

Postby Merry » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:34 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:I have always viewed religion as a crutch. However im getting old. 34. Starting to see the world different . Ill be an old washed up waste in a few short years. Nothing good happens after 35.
So i am trying to embrace religion. The hardest part is picking one. There are so many. Each one swears it is the truth . Oh jeez this is gonna be tuff

If nothing good happens after 35, I'd better go jump in the lake. LOL

But seriously, the best years of my life were from 35 to 50. Honest. Because by then I was much more comfortable in my own skin than I was before that, had reached a point in my career where my pay was a lot better, and still had enough youthful energy to be able to do whatever I wanted.

Trust me, the best is yet to come.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8667 posts

Postby Merry » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:40 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:The problem with that though is the difference between an Atheist and a Christian (or any other faith group). Really, by definition, a Atheist doesn't belong to a faith group.

Atheisim and Religon are simply different ways of viewing the world we live in. Both are founded on faith, one on a faith in science (which despite it's wonders, does not provide the answer for everything), and the other on faith in a supreme being (which also does not provide the answer for everything).

The theory of evolution is just that, a theory, not a scientific fact. And even science can't answer many of the mysteries of the universe. So much of what atheists believe to be true is based on their faith that there really isn't any kind of supreme being behind all that we see and know about this world of ours. And they may well be right; but they can't prove it, any more than the religious based folks can prove what they believe to be true.

The bottom line is that if we all learned to "live and let live" a little more, and allowed each and every person to believe whatever it is they want to believe, the world would be a much better place for it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Merry
Guru

Postby Merry » Jul 3rd, 2018, 1:49 pm

youjustcomplain wrote: I don't like it when JW's show up at my door, but short of accepting their brochure and tossing it in the garbage, I'm somewhat polite to them. I suspect I'm a breath of fresh air compared to some of the *bleep* they run in to.

You're certainly nice than I am; I resent people showing up at my door trying to convert me to their way of thinking (whether they're JW's or salespeople - I don't care. I have my own beliefs which I don't go door to door forcing on others, and I expect others to do the same). That said, I don't hold ALL religious people to account for the annoying behaviour of a few zealots.

I judge every individual I meet based on their personal behaviour, not according to the group they happen to belong to.

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 3rd, 2018, 2:40 pm

Merry wrote:
youjustcomplain wrote:The problem with that though is the difference between an Atheist and a Christian (or any other faith group). Really, by definition, a Atheist doesn't belong to a faith group.

Atheisim and Religon are simply different ways of viewing the world we live in. Both are founded on faith, one on a faith in science (which despite it's wonders, does not provide the answer for everything), and the other on faith in a supreme being (which also does not provide the answer for everything).

The theory of evolution is just that, a theory, not a scientific fact. And even science can't answer many of the mysteries of the universe. So much of what atheists believe to be true is based on their faith that there really isn't any kind of supreme being behind all that we see and know about this world of ours. And they may well be right; but they can't prove it, any more than the religious based folks can prove what they believe to be true.

So I'd argue that though religion is faith based, that Atheism is quite the opposite; not faith based.
Bare in mind, you may disagree with my definition of atheism, but to me, atheism is the absence of belief in a god.

Atheism has nothing to do with any scientific theories though whether you're an atheist or otherwise, we all believe in the same basics that we can observe and test, such as gravity. Doesn't matter if you believe in god(s) or not, everyone knows that if you toss an apple into the air, it will fall to the ground once it overcomes the downward forces of gravity. I think the differences here are that people of faith may tend to look for the reason in things and attribute the unexplainable to a god, whereas the Atheist may not even ask for a reason; it's just out of scope.

I've never found myself wondering the purpose of life. I've never wondered why I'm here or what my purpose is. I simply don't believe there is a reason for it. Which is to say, I don't "believe" there is no purpose as that would require belief. I don't know and chose not to bother looking for an answer that can't be known, so I just don't believe.

I don't presume to speak for all or any atheists outside of myself. But I love the conversations. :)

Muzza likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby youjustcomplain » Jul 3rd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Glacier wrote:

Cool, but by doing so, you are doing what I describe in B, which as far as I can tell, is to get people change their way of thinking. If you want people to challenge their way of thinking, then you think that maybe they should change their way of thinking if it's wrong. As any JW knows (and as you and I also know), the vast majority will not change their way of thinking, but a small percentage will, and that's the reason you or I make posts that challenge another post (and also why a JW knocks on your door).[/quote]

Fair point. But really, I'm not trying to convince people to change their ways. If they become more convinced they have it right, great. If they change, great. If they ignore me, #sad, but changing minds isn't my goal. Challenging people to ask themselves why they think one way is what drives me.

I think this approach has changed for me since having kids as I'm not trying to tell them how to think, only to question all that they're told. If nothing else, I want my kids to have very open minds. Just watch as I fail at that. LOL
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby 1nick » Nov 21st, 2018, 7:54 am

Have you heard the word of god?

No thnx...
https://www.opindia.com/2018/11/zealot- ... ese-tribe/
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1034 posts

Postby 1nick » Nov 23rd, 2018, 1:50 pm

The arrogance of these people.
Who cares if you forgive this group of people.
Your son broke the law and jeopardized their lives with his attempt to shove his belief system on them.
What a *bleep*.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46300459
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy

1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1034 posts

Postby two_shoes1mit » Dec 16th, 2018, 2:50 am

1nick wrote:The arrogance of these people.
Who cares if you forgive this group of people.
Your son broke the law and jeopardized their lives with his attempt to shove his belief system on them.
What a *bleep*.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46300459

Quite a story. I agree; the arrogance of the actions and then statements after death disgust me. I am surprised that he managed several trips/ contact with these people and the authorities had not arrested him. But, he was on a mission, he attempted to champion his beliefs in an illegal manner and lost.
I was raised in a very aggressive religious culture. Even at an early age, I always felt............these are not my people. And now, I know I don't believe in a god/ or gods, but don't know if I'm an atheist either. What am I?
two_shoes1mit
Fledgling

Liked in: 192 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 16th, 2018, 6:44 am

two_shoes1mit wrote: What am I?

Agnostic maybe?
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13273 posts

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality