Bible truths

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Bible truths

Postby capleton » Nov 27th, 2018, 9:27 am

youjustcomplain wrote:
capleton wrote: Books like the Bible makes a bunch of claims, if people insist that a event took place in reality or a certain character existed then they have to show actual evidence, that is how the philosophical burden of proof works.


Yes, the bible makes claims. Millions of people believe this stuff. There is absolutely no burden of proof required though. They believe based on faith and they don't owe us atheists any reason for their belief.

They certainly don't have to show actual evidence. Lets face it, any evidence they could show would be dismissed as not being valid evidence. Right? Evidence that supports the miracles of the bible would not be founded in science and thus, would be dismissed. It's the impasse we're always at.
They believe, we don't.
They feel their reasons are justifiable, we don't.

It's unfair for us to expect people of faith to use the same standards we use that has us not believing. If they played by our rules, they wouldn't use faith and their God would stop existing to them. This isn't what they want, so we shouldn't expect them to change their ways, anymore than they should expect us to change ours. :)

My only wish is that people of faith would stop borrowing science to attempt to justify their beliefs. They should just leave it at "because I believe".


Christians are the ones who are making claims and trying to convert people so of coarse they have the burden of proof. I even read in Christian magazines that they admit to having the burden of proof. If atheists were out trying to convert people then we would have the burden of proof but it's the other way around.
capleton
Fledgling
 
Posts: 349
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 145 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby youjustcomplain » Nov 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

capleton wrote:Christians are the ones who are making claims and trying to convert people so of coarse they have the burden of proof. I even read in Christian magazines that they admit to having the burden of proof. If atheists were out trying to convert people then we would have the burden of proof but it's the other way around.


If they're attempting to prove gods existence, then I agree; the burden of proof lays on the one making the claims.

Who is trying to convert people though? I know christians send people around the world to spread the word of god. There is no burden on them to prove gods existence though. They rely on faith. Really, all they need to do is spread hope under the guise of Christianity and people will follow. Not the two of us mind you. :)
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 915
Likes: 254 posts
Liked in: 569 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 27th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Keep in mind, that these advocates are preaching to impoverished peoples that don't have internet access or anything else for comparision.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 9873
Likes: 3857 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby youjustcomplain » Nov 28th, 2018, 1:56 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Keep in mind, that these advocates are preaching to impoverished peoples that don't have internet access or anything else for comparision.


Definitely worthy of mention indeed. I'd say that education is the killer of poverty and of religion. It's a shame that in many countries, education isn't a priority which allows poverty, oppression and religion to take hold.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 915
Likes: 254 posts
Liked in: 569 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby Glacier » Nov 28th, 2018, 3:46 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:Definitely worthy of mention indeed. I'd say that education is the killer of poverty and of religion. It's a shame that in many countries, education isn't a priority which allows poverty, oppression and religion to take hold.

Interesting... https://nationalpost.com/news/religion/ ... n-pollster
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29910
Likes: 5049 posts
Liked in: 12715 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Poverty and oppression are caused by lack of education. Lack of education creates a vacuum for religion to fill the void.

Just consider the impoverished countries that are devoid of clean drinking water, where they have to walk miles every day to gather jugs of dirty water to drink. Now a couple of missionaries show up and sink a well in the middle of town that provides a plentiful supply of clean drinking water.
The locals would be happy and hope for new miracles. All the while, the missionaries are preaching their version of the words of their god.
Would you not worship that god in anticipation of receiving more miracles?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 9873
Likes: 3857 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby Glacier » Nov 29th, 2018, 9:58 am

alanjh595 wrote:Poverty and oppression are caused by lack of education. Lack of education creates a vacuum for religion to fill the void.

Just consider the impoverished countries that are devoid of clean drinking water, where they have to walk miles every day to gather jugs of dirty water to drink. Now a couple of missionaries show up and sink a well in the middle of town that provides a plentiful supply of clean drinking water.
The locals would be happy and hope for new miracles. All the while, the missionaries are preaching their version of the words of their god.
Would you not worship that god in anticipation of receiving more miracles?

There's no evidence for this. Religions come and go with or without education or poverty. Religiosity in the west was on the rise for 100s of years up until the 1960s even though education was on the rise at the same time (and poverty in decline). Education has continued to rise and poverty continues to fall while religion has been in decline. Going forward religion is starting to grow again, especially in the Europe with all the Islamic immigration (eg. the Gen Z in the UK is the most religious and socially conservative generation since the "Greatest Generation" despite being the most educated and rich generation ever).

In eastern Europe religiosity tanked when the communists took over, but rose again when the communists left. This had nothing to do with education or poverty.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 29th, 2018, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29910
Likes: 5049 posts
Liked in: 12715 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby youjustcomplain » Nov 29th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Glacier wrote:There's no evidence for this. Religions come and go with or without education or poverty. Religiosity in the west was on the rise for 100s of years up until the 1960s even though education was on the rise at the same time (and poverty in decline). Education has continued to rise and poverty continues to fall why religion has been in decline. Going forward religion is starting to grow again, especially in the Europe with all the Islamic immigration (eg. the Gen Z in the UK is the most religious and socially conservative generation since the "Greatest Generation" despite being the most educated and rich generation ever).

In eastern Europe religiosity tanked when the communists took over, but rose again when the communists left. This had nothing to do with education or poverty.


No evidence? I disagree.
I agree that there is no clear consensus on the topic from what I've seen. That being, one report will indicate one finding and another report will indicate something different.

How any of these studies could be accurate is mind boggling. Some state that the average christian has 9.3 years of schooling. How would anyone know how many years of education anyone has, let alone which religion they belong to?

I agree more with Alanjh595's comment. Christians go to a third world, poorly educated, country and help out a community. In turn, the poor, uneducated people, who want more of the kind treatment take up Christianity in hopes for more of gods favor. (don't get me wrong, Christians do good. But it comes at a cost)
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 915
Likes: 254 posts
Liked in: 569 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby capleton » Dec 15th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Glacier wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Poverty and oppression are caused by lack of education. Lack of education creates a vacuum for religion to fill the void.

Just consider the impoverished countries that are devoid of clean drinking water, where they have to walk miles every day to gather jugs of dirty water to drink. Now a couple of missionaries show up and sink a well in the middle of town that provides a plentiful supply of clean drinking water.
The locals would be happy and hope for new miracles. All the while, the missionaries are preaching their version of the words of their god.
Would you not worship that god in anticipation of receiving more miracles?

There's no evidence for this. Religions come and go with or without education or poverty. Religiosity in the west was on the rise for 100s of years up until the 1960s even though education was on the rise at the same time (and poverty in decline). Education has continued to rise and poverty continues to fall while religion has been in decline. Going forward religion is starting to grow again, especially in the Europe with all the Islamic immigration (eg. the Gen Z in the UK is the most religious and socially conservative generation since the "Greatest Generation" despite being the most educated and rich generation ever).

In eastern Europe religiosity tanked when the communists took over, but rose again when the communists left. This had nothing to do with education or poverty.


Actually Christianity in Europe is declining,especially in the Nordic countries and more people in Britain believe in ghosts then in god.
capleton
Fledgling
 
Posts: 349
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 145 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby Glacier » Dec 16th, 2018, 3:52 pm

capleton wrote:
Actually Christianity in Europe is declining,especially in the Nordic countries and more people in Britain believe in ghosts then in god.

It was declining, but with more migrants coming it's reversing.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29910
Likes: 5049 posts
Liked in: 12715 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Bible truths

Postby 1nick » Dec 16th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Yes, Islam is growing in Europe.
All the more reason for no religion to hold sway over public policy or garner any special privilege over the rest of society.

I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3948
Likes: 319 posts
Liked in: 1028 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Bible truths

Postby capleton » Dec 19th, 2018, 10:13 am

Glacier wrote:
capleton wrote:
Actually Christianity in Europe is declining,especially in the Nordic countries and more people in Britain believe in ghosts then in god.

It was declining, but with more migrants coming it's reversing.


No it still is declining, thank god

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... y-religion
capleton
Fledgling
 
Posts: 349
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 145 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests