Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby cutter7 » Nov 15th, 2018, 1:21 pm

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2414
Likes: 207 posts
Liked in: 228 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby cutter7 » Nov 15th, 2018, 1:26 pm

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2414
Likes: 207 posts
Liked in: 228 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby Muzza » Nov 15th, 2018, 1:59 pm

The "Lady Hope Story", first published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted to Christianity on his sickbed. The claims were rejected by Darwin's children and have been dismissed as false by historians.
Muzza
Board Meister
 
Posts: 664
Likes: 812 posts
Liked in: 638 posts
Joined: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:01 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby averagejoe » Nov 15th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Muzza wrote:The "Lady Hope Story", first published in 1915, claimed that Darwin had reverted to Christianity on his sickbed. The claims were rejected by Darwin's children and have been dismissed as false by historians.


You forgot to use the porn run snopes as your research...
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14205
Likes: 4498 posts
Liked in: 3495 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby Muzza » Nov 15th, 2018, 2:48 pm

From wikepedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth ... _Lady_Hope

Everyone in Darwin's family denied the validity of the story.[18] In 1917, Darwin's son Francis wrote that "Lady Hope's account of my father's views on religion is quite untrue. I have publicly accused her of falsehood, but have not seen any reply. My father's agnostic point of view is given in my Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Vol. I., pp. 304–317. You are at liberty to publish the above statement. Indeed, I shall be glad if you will do so."[19] In 1922, Darwin's daughter, Henrietta Litchfield, said she did not believe Lady Hope had ever seen her father and that "he never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier. We think the story of his conversion was fabricated in the U.S.A."[20] Leonard, Darwin's last surviving child, dismissed Lady Hope's account as a "hallucination" (1930) and "purely fictitious" (1934).[21]


Lying about atheists and deathbed confessions is a pathetic attempt by theists to prop up their vacuous beliefs in god. They have tried it with Bertam Russel, Christopher Hitchens, David Hume, and others. In each case they were wrong. There was one scientist who did recant his atheist beliefs on his deathbed (can't remember his name), but he was suffering from very severe dementia at the time and who knows what he meant or if he even knew what he was saying.

1nick likes this post.
Muzza
Board Meister
 
Posts: 664
Likes: 812 posts
Liked in: 638 posts
Joined: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:01 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby cutter7 » Nov 15th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Antony flew was not on his death bed when he switched

https://www.bethinking.org/does-god-exi ... ntony-flew
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2414
Likes: 207 posts
Liked in: 228 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby Bsuds » Nov 15th, 2018, 5:23 pm

I really don't see the point one way or another and don't care if someone decides to change on their deathbed.

They are just covering all the bases just in case.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

averagejoe likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 44869
Likes: 10670 posts
Liked in: 13230 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby 1nick » Nov 15th, 2018, 5:59 pm

If you feel a need to convert on your deathbed, you’re best to choose wisely. That’s not the time to make enemies ;-)
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy

youjustcomplain likes this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3948
Likes: 319 posts
Liked in: 1028 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby Muzza » Nov 15th, 2018, 8:53 pm

cutter7 wrote:Antony flew was not on his death bed when he switched

https://www.bethinking.org/does-god-exi ... ntony-flew


Thank you. That is the guy I was talking about who was losing it when he decided he was a christian just before he died. I couldn't remember his name.
Muzza
Board Meister
 
Posts: 664
Likes: 812 posts
Liked in: 638 posts
Joined: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:01 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby cutter7 » Nov 16th, 2018, 8:08 am

thanks for the chuckle, when people educated on the subject change their minds their followers still refuse to change, either people are lying or the person went crazy lol
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2414
Likes: 207 posts
Liked in: 228 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby JLives » Nov 16th, 2018, 8:35 am

cutter7 wrote:thanks for the chuckle, when people educated on the subject change their minds their followers still refuse to change, either people are lying or the person went crazy lol


What are you getting at? Evolution is real whether or not any particular individual believes in a diety or doesn't. People aren't following Darwin, they are accepting the fact of evolution as being true based on evidence.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Btfsplck likes this post.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16329
Likes: 3823 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby averagejoe » Nov 16th, 2018, 12:34 pm

JLives wrote:they are accepting the fact of evolution as being true based on evidence.


It's a theory, not fact.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 14205
Likes: 4498 posts
Liked in: 3495 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby 1nick » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:47 pm

A theory based on facts and evidence.

What have you got?
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy
1nick
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3948
Likes: 319 posts
Liked in: 1028 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby JLives » Nov 16th, 2018, 1:57 pm

averagejoe wrote:It's a theory, not fact.


Come at me when you demonstrate an understanding of what that actually means.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Omnitheo likes this post.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16329
Likes: 3823 posts
Liked in: 6531 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Did Darwin become a Christian on his deathbed?

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 17th, 2018, 10:17 am

averagejoe wrote:
JLives wrote:they are accepting the fact of evolution as being true based on evidence.


It's a theory, not fact.


Gravity -theory
Germs - theory
Thermodynamics - theory

A theory is a supported, and testable body of evidence, supported by facts and observations and reproducible.

When you say something like “it’s a theory, not a fact” when a theory is actually a collection of facts, you just make yourself look foolish.

Ka-El likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5945
Likes: 9200 posts
Liked in: 4899 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests