Is Atheism a religion?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Is Atheism a religion?

Postby youjustcomplain » Mar 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

I did a quick search and didn't spot this topic. Sorry if it already exists. :)

Is Atheism a religion?
YES / NO

If you care to respond, please start with your answer, then a reason for your opinion.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 569 posts

Re: Is Atheism a religion?

Postby youjustcomplain » Mar 11th, 2019, 11:19 am

No

I would have to say that based on my definition of atheism, it is not a religion.
Atheism: The lack of belief in a god or gods.

My view is that atheism is the lack of belief in god, just like silence is the lack of sound.

2 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 11th, 2019, 11:56 am

I did a quick fact check and found....
12% of Canada were "convinced atheists".

I find that very interesting in that 88% of Canadians believe in God. I wonder how the question was worded in the survey.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 11th, 2019, 11:59 am

I also found this;

Surveys and public opinion polls
In 2011, a survey conducted by Ipsos-Reid showed that 47% of the Canadian population believed religion does more harm in the world than good, while 64% believed that religion provides more questions than answers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Canada
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby Glacier » Mar 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

re·li·gion
/rəˈlijən/
noun
noun: religion

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; sect, cult, religious group, faith community, church, denomination, body, following, persuasion, affiliation
"the right to freedom of religion"
* a particular system of faith and worship.
plural noun: religions
"the world's great religions"
* a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion"
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12715 posts

Postby my5cents » Mar 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I did a quick fact check and found....
12% of Canada were "convinced atheists".

I find that very interesting in that 88% of Canadians believe in God. I wonder how the question was worded in the survey.

That's sorta like linking that when people come to the door, the door bell rings. Thus the doorbell ringing causes people to come to the door.

Atheists are just one segment of irreligion in Canada.

We live in the region of Canada that has the second highest percentage of people that don't believe in a supreme being, the Yukon the most.

The 2011 Canadian Census concludes that Canadian population is made up of 23.9% of irreligious people. BC, 44.1%.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1749 posts

Postby Glacier » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:14 pm

It's really hard to compare French and English Canada.

The provinces with the highest percentage of "no religion" are the Yukon, BC, and Alberta. In the case of BC and the Yukon, it's over 50%.

Meanwhile, something like 90% of people in Newfoundland identify as Christian.

There's a lot for Catholic influence and more traditional religious institutions east of Manitoba, which is why Quebec can have a very small percentage of population with no religion despite being one of the least religious provinces, arguably the most secular province of all.

Lots of people in eastern and central Canada are both catholic (or Jewish, Anglican, etc.) and nonbelievers.

Out west we are not so traditional so religion is more associated with what you believe as opposed to a family tradition.

A lot of people are apatheists in that they don't care or haven't given it much thought. Convinced atheists are those who have given it more thought, and concluded that religion is bunk.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12715 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Mar 11th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Atheism is as much a religion as not-stamp-collecting is a hobby.

4 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4899 posts

Postby capleton » Mar 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm

No but there are some atheistic religions out there like Buddhism and some sects of Hinduism.

Glacier likes this post.
capleton
Fledgling

Liked in: 145 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Mar 12th, 2019, 11:03 am

capleton wrote:No but there are some atheistic religions out there like Buddhism and some sects of Hinduism.

Semantics aside, for all purposes the term Atheism in modern context essentially means "areligious" and any demographic data referring to atheists is looking at the percentage of the population which do not believe in a religion, christian or buddhist or otherwise.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4899 posts

Postby capleton » Mar 12th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Omnitheo wrote:
capleton wrote:No but there are some atheistic religions out there like Buddhism and some sects of Hinduism.

Semantics aside, for all purposes the term Atheism in modern context essentially means "areligious" and any demographic data referring to atheists is looking at the percentage of the population which do not believe in a religion, christian or buddhist or otherwise.

Atheism just means that you believe no god exists, not necessarily that you are irreligious but yeah I guess in the West in means that you have no religion. Other in believing that no god exists, atheists can believe in all kinds of things.
capleton
Fledgling

Postby capleton » Mar 13th, 2019, 8:25 am

Semantics aside, for all purposes the term Atheism in modern context essentially means "areligious" and any demographic data referring to atheists is looking at the percentage of the population which do not believe in a religion, christian or buddhist or otherwise.[/quote]

Atheism just means that you believe no god exist, Buddhism falls in that category
capleton
Fledgling

Postby JLives » Mar 13th, 2019, 8:37 am

capleton wrote:
Atheism just means that you believe no god exist, Buddhism falls in that category

Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

5 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6531 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Mar 13th, 2019, 9:32 am

JLives wrote:Atheism isn't a belief, it's a lack of belief.

Bang on. This appears to just be semantics, but it really is a big difference. To state that Atheism is a belief that no god exists misrepresents the situation. You've hit it perfectly JLives. It's a lack of belief in a god, not the belief that there is no god.

One requires belief. the other does not.

3 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby my5cents » Mar 13th, 2019, 10:03 am

youjustcomplain wrote:Bang on. This appears to just be semantics, but it really is a big difference. To state that Atheism is a belief that no god exists misrepresents the situation. You've hit it perfectly JLives. It's a lack of belief in a god, not the belief that there is no god.

One requires belief. the other does not.

My head hurts, what ?

I thought the opposite. An agnostic, I thought, was a lack of belief and an atheist was a belief there is no God.

From http://www.dictionary.com....

Atheist vs. agnostic

There is a key distinction. An atheist doesn’t believe in a god or divine being. The word originates with the Greek atheos, which is built from the roots a- “without” + theos “a god”.

However, an agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or religious doctrine. Agnostics assert that it’s impossible for human beings to know anything about how the universe was created and if divine beings exist.

Agnosticism was coined by biologist T.H. Huxley and comes from the Greek agnostos, which means “unknown or unknowable.”
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Glacier likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1749 posts

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality