I Am A Scientist Lol!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

I Am A Scientist Lol!

Postby Hmmm » Jun 19th, 2019, 2:40 am

Proven science does agree with the Bible IMO however, that doesn't mean those who are scientists agree with it. What is a scientist and how should they go about doing their work? How does it relate to faith? Do they strive to publish just to keep grant money flowing in? Are some here crazy mad scientist fakers?

Discuss.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1117 posts

Re: I Am A Scientist Lol!

Postby LANDM » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

Yes.

The ultimate one-liner! I’m setting out some DJJ repellent. :D
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby capleton » Jun 19th, 2019, 12:31 pm

So the talking donkey of Balaam and the talking snake, the global flood agree with science? I don't think so. In fact the bronze age myths in the bible are probably the furthest thing from science, a grade 5er knows more science then the bible.

Science does not deal with faith in any way.
capleton
Fledgling

Liked in: 145 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 19th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Ooooookaaaaaaayyyy, so that covers the contribution from those who cherry-pick pieces of the Bible as needed because they've never actually read it. You're not alone, the religionists do it too, they cherry-pick what they need to promote their agenda; you're all the same. You're different sides of the same coin.

It amazes me that very few people discuss how Bible totally smokes science when it comes to the timing of revealing things like a spherical earth, how to handle corpses, appropriate hygiene for disease prevention, etc, etc.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 19th, 2019, 3:30 pm

kgcayenne wrote:It amazes me that very few people discuss how Bible totally smokes science when it comes to the timing of revealing things like a spherical earth, how to handle corpses, appropriate hygiene for disease prevention, etc, etc.

How does it smoke science if science also states the earth is round, etc. It just confirms what we already know from science.

To show the bible says the earth is round you have to decifer a riddle and change a translation from old text from circular to spherical. Its a stretch and takes huge faith to point to these couple lines and say yeah, bible says it's round. Would if been easier to just state flat out the earth is round. Why all the open to interpretation? That's what science aims to avoid, no interpretations. Science tires to test it's theories with multiple areas lf evidence and not cling to 1 or 2 verses to "prove" faith.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 893 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 19th, 2019, 4:15 pm

kgcayenne wrote:Ooooookaaaaaaayyyy, so that covers the contribution from those who cherry-pick pieces of the Bible as needed because they've never actually read it. You're not alone, the religionists do it too, they cherry-pick what they need to promote their agenda; you're all the same. You're different sides of the same coin.

It amazes me that very few people discuss how Bible totally smokes science when it comes to the timing of revealing things like a spherical earth, how to handle corpses, appropriate hygiene for disease prevention, etc, etc.

Earth was known to be round before bible was written. Humans, and human ancestors have been handling corpses for hundreds of thousands of years before the bible was written, and different cultures around the world found different ways of preventing disease, that didn’t involve praying or self Flagellating to appeal to god to stop the plague. This is likely why very few people discuss how ‘the bible totally smokes science". Because most know better.

Sparki55 likes this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4899 posts

Postby Hmmm » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:01 am

When many peoples thought all kinds of crazy things like a flat earth, it standing on elephants and giant turtles and so forth, the Bible was accurate. When many surrounding nations of Israel used dung for wounds and medicine the mosaic law forbid it and commanded it to be buried outside the camp. When doctors regularly went from treating a person who died and went to living people and pregnant people, the mosaic law forbid it.

In every case when the Bible touches on a scientific matter it is accurate. Shell fish are known to carry serious diseases and need to be tested or harvested certain times of the year. That technology didn't exist back in Bible days so the law forbid eating it. Same with issues with pork. But again in all cases the Bible is accurate on these matters. It would be one thing to have the Bible say the earth is flat when we now know it isn't or inaccurately describe there water cycles, but it doesn't.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

kgcayenne likes this post.
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1117 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:15 am

capleton wrote:So the talking donkey of Balaam and the talking snake, the global flood agree with science? I don't think so. In fact the bronze age myths in the bible are probably the furthest thing from science, a grade 5er knows more science then the bible.

Science does not deal with faith in any way.

Sorry Capleton, there is evidence around the globe for a global flood.

Not to mention almost every culture around the World has a massive flood story, including Pacific North west native tribes, all up and down the coast. I was astonished to read another "global flood" story while in the Bella Coola area a few weeks ago. But it's more than one tribe. I suspect the Biblical story is simply the most famously recorded one.

Who knows if the structure reported at the sides of Mt. Ararat in Turkey is truly the massive original ark, or just one of many, or just a weird co incidence that many ancient stories support that at least ONE ship survived to this time.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15582 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:21 am

Queen K wrote:Sorry Capleton, there is evidence around the globe for a global flood.

No, there isn't. There isn't enough water on earth to flood the entire land mass. Only small local floods happened but people exaggerated the stories as the years went by.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 893 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:22 am

Sparki55 wrote:
Queen K wrote:Sorry Capleton, there is evidence around the globe for a global flood.

No, there isn't. There isn't enough water on earth to flood the entire land mass. Only small local floods happened but people exaggerated the stories as the years went by.

We can go back and forth on this one, but I believe there is a great deal of geological evidence for massive flooding, as do others.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/natur ... flood1.htm

Nobody has to believe in Noah's story, or the bible, or the Christian version, which I agree, was greatly exaggerated over time.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby youjustcomplain » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:45 am

Queen K wrote:We can go back and forth on this one, but I believe there is a great deal of geological evidence for massive flooding, as do others.

Nobody has to believe in Noah's story, or the bible, or the Christian version, which I agree, was greatly exaggerated over time.

But that's just it. What you believe has nothing to do with science. Belief is belief. You should really question what you're saying when it starts with "I believe".
It also doesn't matter if others believe the same thing. Doesn't make it fact.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 569 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 20th, 2019, 7:55 am

youjustcomplain wrote:
Queen K wrote:We can go back and forth on this one, but I believe there is a great deal of geological evidence for massive flooding, as do others.

But that's just it. What you believe has nothing to do with science. Belief is belief. You should really question what you're saying when it starts with "I believe".
It also doesn't matter if others believe the same thing. Doesn't make it fact.

:135:

There is massive evidence around the World that is fact for water formed creations, massive flooding events in fact, happened. That won't be changed by your beliefs. And is not rooted in any bibical or other religious belief system. That won't be changed by your beliefs either.

Ever go to Dry Falls, WA? The entire area experienced flood, after flood, after flood. Ice Age dam release floods of an unimaginable scale. One of the most scenic drives in Washington State is not just Grand Coulee Damn related, but Missoula Flood, a geologic fact, related. From the town of Grand Coulee Dam to the small town of Moses Lake, there are massive geological formations created by flooding. One man worked tirelessly to prove it too, he is now enshrined in the history as the man who spend years of his life documenting facts. Nothing to do with Noah, the bible or Christianity either.

Did you click on the link and see the evidence for the chevorns? :135:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Jonrox » Jun 20th, 2019, 8:00 am

Massive flooding is not the same as a global flood.

There appears to be virtually no evidence that the entire planet flooded all at once... it seems to be impossible from everything I've read. There's simply not enough water on the planet for it to have occurred.

But there is evidence of massive flooding in different parts of the world and it seems like a lot of people want to believe it all happened simultaneously even though the evidence doesn't really support the theory.

Sparki55 likes this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2520 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 20th, 2019, 8:06 am

I'm thinking some of that massive flooding is linked to global flooding, but as a geologic lay person, I am speculate.

More and more evidence is being found for global flooding anyways.

Villages have been found beneath the waves on the Pacific coast.

Villages and human habitation has been found beneath the water's edge at the Black Sea.

The chevrons found as per the link.

Hundreds of cultures have flood stories, why are those less real than the Christian version of Noah's Ark? No seriously, why is one story more real and exalted over and above others?
Last edited by Queen K on Jun 20th, 2019, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Jun 20th, 2019, 8:22 am

Hmmm wrote:Proven science does agree with the Bible IMO however, that doesn't mean those who are scientists agree with it. What is a scientist and how should they go about doing their work? How does it relate to faith? Do they strive to publish just to keep grant money flowing in? Are some here crazy mad scientist fakers?

Discuss.

There are crazy mad scientists who once dreamed that man could fly. The science of flight was once thought to be "mad."
The science of many a Star Trek cliches? Unimaginable. Their flip phones, "Beam me up Scotty" are a joke compared to the computers we can now carry in our pockets today, right? All they did was: talk. Now I can watch youtube vids on how to repair the Star Ship Enterprise and take Klingon lessons. Face time on screens? Didn't we see that on the Starship Enterprise every week? Mad science I tell you!

The Jetsons? Also unimaginable. Didn't the Jetson's also introduce face time over screens, only to a younger audience? I can see you and you can see me while we talk? MAD! Who even dreamed of that?

Engineering is science. Putting entire water works systems in mulit story towers? Hydraulics?

Tesla was a scientist. Was he "mad" because of many of his inventions and plans for inventions?

Paleobotany is a science, grains of pollen are studied in ancient sediments to tell us about climate and plants and the relation thereof.

Plenty of examples of "mad" scienctists right?

Which ones were labeled as mad? Alexander Graham Bell? Madam Currie? Albert Einstein? Charles Darwin? I include Bill Gates. Computer science, is that not "mad"?

Just wondering how far this has to go for the nanotechnology scientists to be labeled as "Mad Scientists"?
Last edited by Queen K on Jun 20th, 2019, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality