Christopher Hitchens on religion.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Christopher Hitchens on religion.

Post by 1nick »

A remarkable mind of the times. A true loss.
capleton
Banned

Re: Christopher Hitchens on religion.

Post by capleton »

A quote of his that I agree with.

I am absolutely convinced that the main source of hatred in the world is religion. I think it should be treated with ridicule, hatred, and contempt, and I claim that right". - Christopher Hitchens
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Sounds like this guy’s been studying...darn ya.

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I don’t mind all religious people. I know a few who will never bring the subject up unless prompted, and when I did prompt some I know I was grateful to hear their acknowledgement of the limitations of the Bible as a collection of stories passed down by oral tradition, and parables being used as a text for life. People with lesser intellectual capacity will almost always try and interpret those writings literally which, for people capable of critical thought, is more than just problematic.

For some people religion can be a good thing for their own lives. I’ve always believed if what you are doing is not harming anyone else then it is no one else’s business. Unfortunately, when we get religious fanatics pushing agendas of anti-science and anti-truth, and/or hatred towards groups different from them who they can’t understand due to their closed-minded bias then we have a real problem. In society’s efforts to curb the spread of hate and “fake news”, perhaps some of these religious types need to be considered for observation. Never mind the mosques. Maybe we should close all churches.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

1nick wrote:A remarkable mind of the times. A true loss.

Bang on. Like his points or not, I have never heard a better speaker on any subject. I only really started following him shortly before his death.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Yes, as all of us de, even Chris Hitchens... its all by design and according to the law of thermodynamics as all things age.

You only get so long to figure things out, then its the next generations turn. It doesn't look like Chris ever figured out the difference between religion that killed Jesus, and the religion of love that saves people and helps people.

False religion, nationalism, and greed kills and causes wars and hatred, true love brings people together, and gives them the ability to work together in peace.
Equality and Love is the Lords Basic, NOT self righteousness and pride.
Creation and Design is the Lords PLAN, NOT chaos and luck
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

I think the mods stated that we shouldn't post videos without following the hyp0erlink with our own comments.

Words can be studied, videos have to be transcribed.

Sentences can be responded to, videos are basically for entertainment value with a few words added in.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Entertaining and educational. No gobbledygook or blathering. Just the facts.

Being succinct and not trying to bamboozle people was one of Christopher’s (not Chris’) strengths.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

1nick wrote:Entertaining and educational. No gobbledygook or blathering. Just the facts.

Being succinct and not trying to bamboozle people was one of Christopher’s (not Chris’) strengths.

I agree, thank you for posting that link. I have never thought of it that way before, but that certainly gives my opinions on the topic a great more credence.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Posters, do post something Chris said.... maybe two or three sentences or a whole paragraph, rather than posting his videos and PICS...

Do remember he is no longer HERE and has died.... so as his followers or supporters or admirers, post in your own words why departed Chris spoke for you.

If he spoke against Jesus, tell us what He said about Jesus....
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Davidjayjordan wrote:Posters, do post something Chris said.... maybe two or three sentences or a whole paragraph, rather than posting his videos and PICS...

Do remember he is no longer HERE and has died.... so as his followers or supporters or admirers, post in your own words why departed Chris spoke for you.

Hold on. Why ?
This thread is appropriately titled and to keep it on topic, we are meant to share/discuss Christopher Hitchens on the topic of Religion. I don't this thread is only meant to be about how he spoke to us.
If the fact that he's dead was somehow a factor in this, then the same could be applied to every single comment from the bible. Is it all null/void just because the author is dead? Hardly. It's a vapid argument to make and you won't even see those of us who are against the teachings of the bible use that kinda worthless argument.

I suspect that most atheists who enjoy Hitchens work would agree with almost everything he has to say since he based his points on fact, rather than wishful thinking/faith.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Davidjayjordan wrote:Posters, do post something Chris said.... maybe two or three sentences or a whole paragraph, rather than posting his videos and PICS...

Let's not forget that the christian version of what they define as their god, is also dead and has not reappeared in over 2,000 years. He can not defend or deny what all the others have said.......in 2,000 years. It's all just a bunch of gobbly gook that living persons have created and added their personal embellishments to.
(and NO, I will not capitalize on something that I believe is a farce).
Bring back the LIKE button.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

^this

Hitch vs 5 Christians. Those odds don’t seem fair, they need more christians...

Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Still no ones knows any words or sentences that Chris said or wrote.... if he is so great, what great words of truth did he say ?

This is suppose to be a discussion board not a man worshipping board. If Chris said something of value, then post it and try to defend what he said.

Personally as a full time independent missionary for fifty years, I an say Jesus words are true and useable and worth trusting. Jesus meant what he said and what He lived.

I and others can attest to this, but Chris is gone and deceased, so cant defend his words, but one or some fo you must be able to repost something he said, and defend what he said in your life experiences etc.. Right Right !

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”