Christopher Hitchens on religion.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Re: Christopher Hitchens on religion.

Postby capleton » Jul 9th, 2019, 11:25 am

Perhaps doctors have revived people but that is because of medical science, not any god.
capleton
Board Meister

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 9th, 2019, 11:35 am

If someone is revived by a doctor only means that the patient was "near death". When the doctors no longer continue life saving intervention, they are the ones that decide, (based upon their medical experiences), that this person has no chance of recovery, and stop trying to revive this, now dead body.

Some things you can change, others that you can't, wisdom comes from knowing the difference.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4850 posts

Postby cutter7 » Jul 17th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Who is Christopher Hitchens and why would I care about his opinion?

Yes, I know he was an outspoken atheist but if you want to follow his beliefs without proof are you not just a disciple of another belief/disbelief cult?
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 228 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 17th, 2019, 12:31 pm

cutter7 wrote:Who is Christopher Hitchens and why would I care about his opinion?

Yes, I know he was an outspoken atheist but if you want to follow his beliefs without proof are you not just a disciple of another belief/disbelief cult?

In order for him to have any credibility, he must have studied the book of stories that others rely upon as their source of information.
He is just exposing the faults of their beliefs. He does not "preach" his Atheist beliefs like the others do. There is no Atheist church that asks for money to support their cause (unless you consider the pubs).
He, like so many others, has come to realize that their gawd is dead and there is no use for him anymore. Once the elder generation that had belief, has died, the next generation will not be contributing $$$$ to that religion.
We are talking about millennials here after all, they don't give 2 shakes of a lambs tail about anyone, other than themselves.
I can just picture a room full of millennials, starting to show withdrawal symptoms after 1-2 hours of not being on their phones and out of touch during Sunday services. They would be shaking so bad that couldn't light a candle in memory of their family elders that are also dead.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Sparki55 » Jul 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I can just picture a room full of millennials, starting to show withdrawal symptoms after 1-2 hours of not being on their phones and out of touch during Sunday services. They would be shaking so bad that couldn't light a candle in memory of their family elders that are also dead.

:135:
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 897 posts

Postby cutter7 » Jul 17th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Hitchens is the same as a preacher in my opinion.
A preacher dedicates his life telling people what they believe trying to gather a following.
Hitchens has a following.

So why do I care what Hitchens opinion is?

He's wasted too much of his life preaching that God doesn't exist .
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 17th, 2019, 1:41 pm

cutter7 wrote:Hitchens is the same as a preacher in my opinion.
A preacher dedicates his life telling people what they believe trying to gather a following.
Hitchens has a following.

So why do I care what Hitchens opinion is?

He's wasted too much of his life preaching that God doesn't exist .

Yet, it's okay for church preachers to spend their entire life preaching to others in an effort to convince them that their gawd does exist. All the while with nothing more than one book of fairy tales and an outstretched hand asking for money.

Because you don't care to hear the other side, you refuse to open your own mind, and it's ability to accept rational thinking. Those that do the same are single minded and refuse to listen to both sides.

Hitchens is just showing the flaws that are evident with those that feel that they are right, and everyone else is wrong.

That's why there are so many different religions that believe they are right, and all others are wrong.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby cutter7 » Jul 17th, 2019, 2:30 pm

We haven't discussed the other side or my opinion on the matter,. You assume that it's different and you are incorrect.

Since I can think and see for myself I choose to form my own opinion.

Hey! Maybe I will start holding forums and talking about my beliefs and people will think ol' c7 is the resident exper
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 17th, 2019, 3:00 pm

cutter7 wrote:We haven't discussed the other side or my opinion on the matter,. You assume that it's different and you are incorrect.

Since I can think and see for myself I choose to form my own opinion.

Hey! Maybe I will start holding forums and talking about my beliefs and people will think ol' c7 is the resident exper

You are right, I am sorry that I read between your lines and misinterpreted them.

I too choose to form my own opinions, I don't express them until others try to ram theirs in my face by whatever means available.
I will never be the first to bring up my personal beliefs, they are reserved for those that want to express theirs, unsolicited and without provocation.
Anyone that openly expresses their religious beliefs when they are not asked to, is provocation enough, especially when they were not asked for (unsolicited).
If I want someone's opinion, I will tell them. Until they are told, keep it to themselves.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby 1nick » Jul 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I didn’t buy the god thing as a kid.
Hitchens eloquently and simply put into words what many cannot. (Myself included)
I’m sure many have broken the chains of their dogma foisted on them by their parents/society by many great thinkers, Hitchens included. I hoist a scotch to him for being a voice of reason.
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1034 posts

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality