Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Postby Glacier » Sep 12th, 2019, 5:50 pm

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12715 posts

Re: Did Jesus Die on a Stake or a Cross?

Postby capleton » Sep 12th, 2019, 7:45 pm

I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.
capleton
Fledgling

Liked in: 145 posts

Postby Btfsplck » Sep 13th, 2019, 7:44 am

I'll take Neither for 1000 Alex.

2 people like this post.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Liked in: 278 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 13th, 2019, 7:49 am

capleton wrote:I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.

Some of them wrote books we know today as the New Testament, but that's another topic.

As for this topic, I didn't realize that JWs think it was a stake. I agree that it's kind of a "who cares", though JWs would disagree. Maybe they think he was a vampire so it needed to be a stake.

Other religious groups have slightly different views. Muslims believe Jesus faked crucifixion, so he didn't actually die, and just went straight to heaven later on instead. Most Christian and secular scholars believe Jesus died on a cross, though they would obviously disagree on whether or not he rose from the dead.

The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby youjustcomplain » Sep 13th, 2019, 9:49 am

Glacier wrote:The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.

Maybe. Can't speak for conspiracy theorist atheists, but it would be odd for anyone, atheist or otherwise, to "believe" he never existed.

I might not believe his existence is as told in the bible, but to choose to believe he never existed is a strange place to be.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 569 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

youjustcomplain wrote:
Glacier wrote:The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.

Maybe. Can't speak for conspiracy theorist atheists, but it would be odd for anyone, atheist or otherwise, to "believe" he never existed.

I might not believe his existence is as told in the bible, but to choose to believe he never existed is a strange place to be.

Check out the Zeitgeist movies.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 13th, 2019, 10:48 am

What ever happened to the gods that predate jesus?

The Greeks believed for over 1000 years in their gods, 8 - 9,000 years before christ. The human race is a very fickle creature, their beliefs and have changed many times in the past.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby Ranger66 » Sep 13th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Maybe in a thousand years Chris Angel will be the new son of God.
To cool to live, to smart to die
Ranger66
Übergod

Liked in: 461 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 13th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Ranger66 wrote:Maybe in a thousand years Chris Angel will be the new son of God.

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] :up: :up: :up:

Why not, he can already walk on water.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby capleton » Sep 14th, 2019, 11:10 am

alanjh595 wrote:What ever happened to the gods that predate jesus?

The Greeks believed for over 1000 years in their gods, 8 - 9,000 years before christ. The human race is a very fickle creature, their beliefs and have changed many times in the past.

Hellenic pagans still exist I guess https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/ ... eligion.uk
capleton
Fledgling

Postby capleton » Sep 14th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Glacier wrote:
capleton wrote:I think only the Jehovah Witnesses's believe he died on a stake but who cares? The more important question is whether or not a rotten corpse magically flew up to "heaven" or not. I'm thinking he didn't at all and I also wonder why none of the so called 500 witnesses described in the NT did not leave a single written record about it.

Some of them wrote books we know today as the New Testament, but that's another topic.

As for this topic, I didn't realize that JWs think it was a stake. I agree that it's kind of a "who cares", though JWs would disagree. Maybe they think he was a vampire so it needed to be a stake.

Other religious groups have slightly different views. Muslims believe Jesus faked crucifixion, so he didn't actually die, and just went straight to heaven later on instead. Most Christian and secular scholars believe Jesus died on a cross, though they would obviously disagree on whether or not he rose from the dead.

The conspiracy theorist type of atheist believes Jesus never existed.

The stuff in the NT is a claim, not evidence.

Sure Jesus may have existed but I don't believe the supernatural nonsense in the Gospel like being born from a virgin or walking on water or his rotting corpse rising to heaven. God magic is not a rational explanation for anything.
capleton
Fledgling

Return to Religion & Spirituality