"Faith" in the 21st Century?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: "Faith" in the 21st Century?

Post by Glacier »

capleton wrote:
Hmmm wrote:You seem to be completely confused as to what I believe.. Maybe just stick to what you believe and I'll explain myself if I feel like it. Thank you for your input though.
Show one thing in the the Bible is scientific and that any Bible prophecy has come to pass.
I haven't watched this video, but it's the first thing that came up when I googled "has prophecy been fulfilled bible."

You can vet it for me if you're bored on a Friday.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I hear that HBO ran a 6-part series on Q-Anon. Not surprising to me, some "Evangelical" et al pastors are finding that the conspiracy theory is beginning to grab hold of people in their flocks. As I said elsewhere in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Christians are grabbed by the Q-Anon conspiracies and nonsense. It requires faith, something a lot of people feel a need to express, it delineates between right and wrong on its own terms, and it is uniquely American. Why waste time on faiths that originate in the Near East and are 2,000 years old.
capleton
Board Meister

Post by capleton »

Glacier wrote: Feb 5th, 2021, 3:20 pm
capleton wrote:
Show one thing in the the Bible is scientific and that any Bible prophecy has come to pass.
I haven't watched this video, but it's the first thing that came up when I googled "has prophecy been fulfilled bible."

You can vet it for me if you're bored on a Friday.

Why don't you summarize it in your own words and we can analyze it if its rubbish or not.
youjustcomplain
Übergod

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 7:44 pm Why don't you summarize it in your own words and we can analyze it if its rubbish or not.
Well, I watched about 10 minutes of it. Not sure I can go much further really.

I don't like Aron Ra. I find him far too aggressive. I'm not sure why he expects everyone to think the way he does. He has a smugness about him that I dislike. Mike Winger is much more personable, but just as Aron Ra is trying to talk to his version of atheists, Mike is aiming his conversation to believers. Neither seems to be producing honesty, though I bet they both think they are.

I'll recap the first point Mike attempts to make:
Aron cites the bible where a snake talks, and says something like "Snakes don't talk".
Mike comes back saying that Aron is misrepresenting the bible cause the bible doesn't say snakes talk, it says that one snake talked.

Aron isn't saying that the bible says all snakes talk. He's saying that no snake talks, so that snake couldn't have talked either.

The exact same commentary continues with reference to a talking donkey. One donkey is written to have talked, but Aron says donkeys don't talk... etc.

Then Mike goes on to say:
Statement 1: "I think here is where skeptics (atheists) and Christians can agree: It requires a miracle of god for a donkey to talk."

1. Atheists don't believe in a god(s). I don't know any atheists would agree with his statement.

Statement 2: "It requires some sort of supernatural being to make a snake make words in some sense"

2. What? I suppose it's also proof of god that parrots can talk. I've never seen a donkey talk. I've never heard of anyone witnessing a donkey talk. Donkey's don't talk in english or hebrew. But it wouldn't require a god for a donkey to talk. It didn't require a god for humans to talk. We're not special, not are donkeys. We're just different from donkeys and as such, we don't share the same language.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”