The Exodus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote:
capleton wrote:... and I don't have to show how the stories are not a myth...
Nope. You don't have to.
But, you made a claim. You claimed that everything in the bible was a myth. And now you're saying you don't have to defend that statement.

Do you happen to see the hypocrisy?

If someone attempts to defend the bible, (which I do not), you demand the show you evidence. But you claim it is completely false then go on to say you don't need to defend your statement.

I just feel that if you're going to demand evidence from believers when they make claims, you should also be willing to defend your position when you take one.
.
As for your other questions. I have never read any books on the history of that area of the world. I probably should though. Would be a good read. I don't really feel I need to reaffirm my position on the validity of the bible though as I already don't believe it's based on true story.
I don 't really feel compelled to reply to this because you completely failed to address anything I said. The Bible is myth because it fails at reality and is against every scientific discipline that is known as I explained above, they are fantastical stories that makes absurd claims. You mays as well ask me to show how the Greek stories aren't myths.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36321
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

Where's the evidence for the Exodus again? I didn't see any. Mays as well say that talking snakes and donkeys are part of reality.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36321
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Glacier »

There's no evidence for 99.9% of what happened in the past. "No evidence" is a pretty lame argument. Do better.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21553 Read this before post again.
Last edited by ferri on Feb 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
User avatar
sobrohusfat
Guru
Posts: 5891
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:42 am

Re: The Exodus

Post by sobrohusfat »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 27th, 2022, 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

Glacier wrote: Feb 26th, 2022, 10:27 pm There's no evidence for 99.9% of what happened in the past. "No evidence" is a pretty lame argument. Do better.
One way we know that the Exodus didn't happen is the complete lack of any type of archaeological evidence and no records of it whatsoever. Do you know how much material evidence 500 000 people would have left? A lot. There no other sources for it either so it's just a claim from a book. We have ways to establish whether something is actual history and the Exodus fails at being any kind of history.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36321
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Glacier »

capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 3:38 pm
One way we know that the Exodus didn't happen is the complete lack of any type of archaeological evidence and no records of it whatsoever. Do you know how much material evidence 500 000 people would have left? A lot. There no other sources for it either so it's just a claim from a book. We have ways to establish whether something is actual history and the Exodus fails at being any kind of history.
Nomads in tents don't leave a trace. We have no evidence of the 100s of thousands of First Nations from 1000 years ago let alone 3000 years ago. The only evidence is carvings in stone.

I'm not even claiming that The Exodus story happened as literally interpreted. I am just saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4348
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: The Exodus

Post by 1nick »

Hitchen’s Razor.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1656
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

Glacier wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 9:49 am I'm not even claiming that The Exodus story happened as literally interpreted. I am just saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
thank you. Well said.

Just because there may be no known evidence, that only supports a hypothesis that the exodus didn't happen. You can't know something based on a lack of evidence against it.

Currently we have no evidence of extra terrestrial life. We really can't say that we know there isn't/wasn't ever any.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

Glacier wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 9:49 am
capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 3:38 pm
One way we know that the Exodus didn't happen is the complete lack of any type of archaeological evidence and no records of it whatsoever. Do you know how much material evidence 500 000 people would have left? A lot. There no other sources for it either so it's just a claim from a book. We have ways to establish whether something is actual history and the Exodus fails at being any kind of history.
Nomads in tents don't leave a trace. We have no evidence of the 100s of thousands of First Nations from 1000 years ago let alone 3000 years ago. The only evidence is carvings in stone.

I'm not even claiming that The Exodus story happened as literally interpreted. I am just saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I see you don't know much about archaeology. That many people would have left fire pits, garbage pits and burial sites and we just don't see that in the Sinai area and I see you ignored where I said there is no sources for it whatsoever besides one book. What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. The Iliad says that the gods live on top of Mt Olympus, am I supposed to believe that just because it is written down? Nah you need actual evidence and you don't have any.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 4:31 pm
Glacier wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 9:49 am I'm not even claiming that The Exodus story happened as literally interpreted. I am just saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
thank you. Well said.

Just because there may be no known evidence, that only supports a hypothesis that the exodus didn't happen. You can't know something based on a lack of evidence against it.

Currently we have no evidence of extra terrestrial life. We really can't say that we know there isn't/wasn't ever any.
You need more then just a claim from a book. Oh so I should believe that Hogwarts exists because it just written somewhere?
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1656
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 3:38 pm One way we know that the Exodus didn't happen is the complete lack of any type of archaeological evidence and no records of it whatsoever. Do you know how much material evidence 500 000 people would have left? A lot. There no other sources for it either so it's just a claim from a book. We have ways to establish whether something is actual history and the Exodus fails at being any kind of history.
capleton wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 6:54 pm You need more then just a claim from a book. Oh so I should believe that Hogwarts exists because it just written somewhere?
Nice try. Like you, I also don't believe anything from the bible, but we can't know something isn't true just because we don't have evidence for it.

You expect people to provide evidence to support their claims. But you make claims of your own without evidence. I'm sure you feel that the lack of evidence is sufficient evidence to know something didn't happen, but that's not how it works.

You can't point to a lack of ancient fire pits as a way to know that no firepits existed. You can use the lack of ancient fire pits as evidence to support your hypothesis that there was no firepit there, but even still you won't know.

Bottom line, we agree that the exodus didn't happen, at least not in the way the bible writes about. There just isn't sufficient evidence to support it. However neither of us can know it.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17298
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by averagejoe »

Image

Image

These Pillars were placed there by King Solomon honoring his Israelite forefathers....
Last edited by averagejoe on Mar 16th, 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17298
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by averagejoe »

DECLARATION OF ARBROATH 1320 ~ 2020

1st four lines of the Scottish Declaration of Independence

Most Holy Father and Lord, we know and from the chronicles and books of the ancients we find that among other famous nations our own, the Scots, has been graced with widespread renown.

They journeyed from Greater Scythia by way of the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Pillars of Hercules, and dwelt for a long course of time in Spain among the most savage tribes, but nowhere could they be subdued by any race, however barbarous.

Thence they came, twelve hundred years after the people of Israel crossed the Red Sea, to their home in the west where they still live today.

The Britons they first drove out, the Picts they utterly destroyed, and, even though very often assailed by the Norwegians, the Danes and the English, they took possession of that home with many victories and untold efforts; and, as the historians of old time bear witness, they have held it free of all bondage

https://declaration.scot/
Last edited by averagejoe on Mar 16th, 2022, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”