The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15179
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by Ka-El »

The Straken wrote: May 4th, 2022, 11:52 am
Alien Head Dude wrote: May 4th, 2022, 11:31 am Evidence for conscious energy (souls?) has already been found, and our existing knowledge of energy already tells us this energy is immortal in that it does not end.
While energy may be immortal and constant it is quite possible that in an infinite time / space that energy could become so diluted as not to exist.
That's an interesting idea. I don't know how it fits with the ideas behind the First Law of Thermodynamics but I would sure like to hear how someone far more knowledgeable in the field of physics would respond. One thing that kind of throws off the idea of an infinite universe is the idea the universe is expanding. How can something that is infinite be expanding? Hmmm.
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1656
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by youjustcomplain »

Alien Head Dude wrote: May 5th, 2022, 6:19 am Yes, it definitely seems to me you’re hung up on some definition, description or explanation of God or Gods that precludes you from imagining other possibilities. Other people can and do see God as some form of energy or "force" that is infinite and exists everywhere (across an infinite number of universes even). If all you want to be is "right" then you shouldn't waste any more of your time considering the ideas of others.
I think you need to try opening your mind to the possibility that you have no idea what you're talking about.
My mind is wide open to all concepts. But just because someone can say a concept, it doesn't mean I need to believe it to be true. I'm happy to entertain any concept/idea/philosophy that advances thought. In fact, it's the sole reason I read the religion & spirituality boards.

But go on, make more cheap, subtle, attacks on me. I really don't care what someone on the internet has to say about someone else they know almost nothing about.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15179
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by Ka-El »

youjustcomplain wrote: My mind is wide open to all concepts. But just because someone can say a concept, it doesn't mean I need to believe it to be true. I'm happy to entertain any concept/idea/philosophy that advances thought. In fact, it's the sole reason I read the religion & spirituality boards.
I know you don't believe in your concept of what a God or God's have to be, and that other concepts of God (ie. energy or force) are not worth considering (your words) - despite the active consideration and exploration of these very ideas by mathematicians, physicists and scientists. I hope you can understand how I have trouble accepting your claim you are happy to entertain any concept or idea that advances thought.
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3771
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by captkirkcanada »

Alien Head Dude wrote: May 6th, 2022, 7:26 am
youjustcomplain wrote: My mind is wide open to all concepts. But just because someone can say a concept, it doesn't mean I need to believe it to be true. I'm happy to entertain any concept/idea/philosophy that advances thought. In fact, it's the sole reason I read the religion & spirituality boards.
I know you don't believe in your concept of what a God or God's have to be, and that other concepts of God (ie. energy or force) are not worth considering (your words) - despite the active consideration and exploration of these very ideas by mathematicians, physicists and scientists. I hope you can understand how I have trouble accepting your claim you are happy to entertain any concept or idea that advances thought.
yea it is amazing to me the many forms of a all powerful entity or god that humans have talked about since humans talked about it . for me i found Egyptian and Sumerian beliefs to be worth my time to research . i have read the christian bible 3 times from front to back lol so i feel i've researched that one enough.
i met people in harrison lake , mostly females that believed in fairies n stuff like that . the head lady told me with str8 face that the fairies were real so yea. i met people that think everyone has a force inside and we are all connected to everything. heck there is even people that think we are ruled by reptile looking aliens :135:
Justin keeps winning , the worldz bad guys keeps losing
The Straken
Board Meister
Posts: 533
Joined: Sep 1st, 2021, 11:31 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by The Straken »

captkirkcanada wrote: May 6th, 2022, 10:36 am mostly females that believed in fairies n stuff like that . the head lady told me with str8 face that the fairies were real

Since there is a probability that fairies may exist they could be right. Some people ( mostly females) may have evolved a type of sight that allows them to see a spectrum that others cannot see and that spectrum is the home of fairies. Totally impossible to the rest of us but perfectly real. Do i think this has happened, no but i have seen some strange things and I typically don't mock what i can't know.
trump is a blight on that once great country.
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1656
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by youjustcomplain »

Alien Head Dude wrote: May 6th, 2022, 7:26 am I know you don't believe in your concept of what a God or God's have to be, and that other concepts of God (ie. energy or force) are not worth considering (your words) - despite the active consideration and exploration of these very ideas by mathematicians, physicists and scientists. I hope you can understand how I have trouble accepting your claim you are happy to entertain any concept or idea that advances thought.
You're either misrepresenting me, or I'm not being clear, or both.

When I describe a god(s) that I don't believe in, I'm talking about all forms described to me by people of faith. People who believe in the god I don't believe in. I don't reject it. I don't believe there is no god in that form. I just don't carry a believe of existence around with me.

Could there be some energy or force out there that I'm unaware of, and science hasn't been able to demonstrate? Of course there could be. I don't care what groups of people are trying to work on this. It doesn't matter. Telling everyone what groups are working on a perceived problem is only used to show that the field of thought is worthy. It doesn't mean there is an end result waiting for us.
I could say that the hypothesis of an undemonstratable force/energy is actively being worked on by leading babies, slugs and hamburgers. That would make my statement sound weak. You say the exact same thing with the intended outcome that it will lead people to believe that there is something there worth researching.

There might be. there might not be.

That's how science works though. A hypothesis is formed and people attempt to make discoveries to find evidence to support their hypothesis, and others will look for ways to replicate it. Again, this on it's own, doesn't indicate there is something there.

Until there is evidence of something there, I choose to leave my thoughts open to it, but I'm not going to believe it's real, and I'm not going to call it "god". that word already has baggage.
The Straken
Board Meister
Posts: 533
Joined: Sep 1st, 2021, 11:31 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by The Straken »

I want there to be a God, a reason fo all this madness , a simple solution to complex issues. Something to blame. Proof is required and that is lacking but if there is no god what is out there?
trump is a blight on that once great country.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3064
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by Hmmm »

The Straken wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:40 am I want there to be a God, a reason fo all this madness , a simple solution to complex issues. Something to blame. Proof is required and that is lacking but if there is no god what is out there?
I do understand your thoughts. I can assure you there is abundant evidence that God exists and loves us. I see religions greatly misrepresenting him and also doing very bad things in his name. This is why people think what you think. When you have asked about such proofs you were probably shown hard to believe things that really made no sense and by people who themselves are part of a religion that commits great evil. I won’t present any evidence here in this forum full of attack trolls but I will say that he will make himself found to all who earnestly seek him. Pray to God and be honest explaining on how you don’t see evidence of him being real ask him to show himself to you and lead you to the evidence. If you’re truly honest and humble enough to do that with a pure motive he will make himself known to you. The evidence I speak of is real, logical, and abundant.

Take care. And If any of the attack trolls want to chime in please don’t. I know your opinions already and don’t wish to engage in a useless debate. Just answering what I thought was a legitimate comment from this person. Have a good day to all of you though.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2290
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by WESTman »

A question for all atheist's, do you believe in morality? If so what do you base it on?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8924
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:29 pm ...there is abundant evidence that God exists

I see religions greatly misrepresenting him and also doing very bad things in his name.

...he will make himself found to all who earnestly seek him. Pray to God and be honest...
You make it sound like finding the perfect religion will make a difference.

The fact is, even if some guy went absolutely crazy and perfect and gave away all his possessions and started caring
about all people more than he cares about himself - God wouldn't give much evidence he exists, so why would God care about some religious people who mainly stay with their own group and think other groups are bad?

There will be no evidence God exists.
The good guys are still going to be good - even in the JWs - and the jerks will be jerks.

..
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
User avatar
bb49
Guru
Posts: 8074
Joined: Jul 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by bb49 »

WESTman wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:16 pm A question for all atheist's, do you believe in morality? If so what do you base it on?
Morality or mortality?

My morals came from my parents, some of which no doubt came to them through influences from religion.
But as an atheist my morals no longer rely on a religion or the belief in a god. Yes, religion set the tone but from then on its been the influences of having a family that have given me a strong belief in right and wrong.

My belief in my own mortality came from having children. Suddenly you see yourself as mortal. These children will be grieving over me one day, just as I grieved when my parents died.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1656
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by youjustcomplain »

WESTman wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:16 pm A question for all atheist's, do you believe in morality? If so what do you base it on?
I google searched your first question to ensure I was answering it.
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
As an atheist, yes, I believe in that. But then, I'd believe in that whether I was an atheist or not. Belief in a god really has nothing to do with believing in right and wrong.

What do I base my belief of right and wrong on?
I really don't spend time thinking about it. I mean, who does? Is it normal for people to sit around thinking about the difference between right and wrong is or good and bad?

I really don't think atheists are at any disadvantage when it comes to knowing right from wrong compared to a theist or someone who's agnostic. I also don't see there needing to be a them vs us mentality when it comes to this topic. Theists are no closer to the truth on the subject than an atheist or an agnostic is. I see no reason to believe that the truth on this subject is linear and that one group of believers could be further along than any other. It feels more like we've all been thrown overboard from a ship in the middle of the ocean during a storm with no way to navigate direction, and one group is trying to tell the others that they know land is the way they're swimming. They might be right, or maybe they're just as confused as everyone else.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:29 pm
The Straken wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:40 am I want there to be a God, a reason fo all this madness , a simple solution to complex issues. Something to blame. Proof is required and that is lacking but if there is no god what is out there?
I do understand your thoughts. I can assure you there is abundant evidence that God exists and loves us. I see religions greatly misrepresenting him and also doing very bad things in his name. This is why people think what you think. When you have asked about such proofs you were probably shown hard to believe things that really made no sense and by people who themselves are part of a religion that commits great evil. I won’t present any evidence here in this forum full of attack trolls but I will say that he will make himself found to all who earnestly seek him. Pray to God and be honest explaining on how you don’t see evidence of him being real ask him to show himself to you and lead you to the evidence. If you’re truly honest and humble enough to do that with a pure motive he will make himself known to you. The evidence I speak of is real, logical, and abundant.

Take care. And If any of the attack trolls want to chime in please don’t. I know your opinions already and don’t wish to engage in a useless debate. Just answering what I thought was a legitimate comment from this person. Have a good day to all of you though.
What a bunch of rubbish, you don't have any evidence of god whatsoever. No Christian ever does. You just believe in nonsensical made fairy tales and magic made up by bronze aged goat herders who knew nothing about the world.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
Posts: 8924
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 6:21 am

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by Thinktank »

capleton wrote: May 13th, 2022, 8:42 pm ...you don't have any evidence of god whatsoever.
What he means is, a lot of people experience a coincidence in their life that is so amazing, such a once in a million thing,they conclude only God could have done it. But no one will ever record God's voice, speaking from the clouds and put it as evidence on youtube, if that's what you mean.

The big religions want to prove there is no God. Like when the JWs forced all the people that work printing and writing articles for that magazine - TO GET VACCINATED. They actually forced those people to get the vax, proving that almost all religions do not believe there is a God.
If you have to be persuaded reminded bullied pressured bribed incentivized, lied to, guilt tripped, coerced, socially shamed, censored, threatened, paid, punished and criminalized, to gain your compliance- the thing is no good
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 564
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by capleton »

Yet the Bible records him speaking through the sky to the prophets. None of this happens in reality I just think its odd that Hindu's have experiences of Shiva and Vishnu etc, Muslims have experiences from allah and pagans have experiences of Zeus, Odin etc, Christians have experiences from the Holy Spirit. I think this has to do neurobiology and culture rather then the truth of the supernatural.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”