The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
alanjh595
Banned

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by alanjh595 »

The Straken wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 2:39 pm Morality, our mental ability to tell right from wrong in our behaviors and the behaviors of others, is a product of evolution. Morality has been passed on through the course of evolution because it helps us to live in large social groups by enhancing our ability to get along and interact with others.
The differences between right and wrong are different between countries. What is morally acceptable in Arab nations is not cool in African.

What is acceptable when living on the East side of Vancouver on Hastings St, is not okay in Merritt.
Bring back the LIKE button.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

alanjh595 wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 3:23 pm The differences between right and wrong are different between countries. What is morally acceptable in Arab nations is not cool in African.

What is acceptable when living on the East side of Vancouver on Hastings St, is not okay in Merritt.
So morality is relative and subjective?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

WESTman wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 3:49 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 3:23 pm The differences between right and wrong are different between countries. What is morally acceptable in Arab nations is not cool in African.

So morality is relative and subjective?
Don't you think so? AND it has nothing to do with god. It is societal based.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

One can be moral without God, but it does not make philosophical sense.

It is certainly true that religion can inspire evil (eg. 9/11), but without a religious foundation a society cannot stand justify good behaviour in the face changing standards. You can know something is wrong but can't quite come up with a good philosophical argument as for why.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

alanjh595 wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 3:23 pm
The differences between right and wrong are different between countries. What is morally acceptable in Arab nations is not cool in African.

Side note: Were you aware there are very large Arab nations in Africa? It’s good to have a larger view of the world. South Sudan to name one.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

To also note: the Bible states that God gave all people a conscience. This would also explain why people overall have a deep sense of right and wrong. A two year old knows what’s fair and isn’t fair. Give his brother a treat and not him and he’ll yell, not fair. As a general example.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 7:00 pm To also note: the Bible states that God gave all people a conscience. This would also explain why people overall have a deep sense of right and wrong. A two year old knows what’s fair and isn’t fair. Give his brother a treat and not him and he’ll yell, not fair. As a general example.
Altruism has nothing to do with your Bible stories, this has to do with Evolution
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

capleton wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 2:40 am

Altruism has nothing to do with your Bible stories, this has to do with Evolution
Regardless of your beliefs I’m simply stating a fact. The Bible does say that God gave all people a conscience. That’s all I’m staying.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 12:58 pm

Regardless of your beliefs I’m simply stating a fact. The Bible does say that God gave all people a conscience. That’s all I’m staying.
The things the Bible says are claims, not fact.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 12:58 pm

That ONLY applies to those of the Christian faith. The Christion fait only applies to 31% of the entire world's population. That is another FACT.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

capleton wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 3:05 pm

I’m sure you’re smarter than that. I didn’t say it’s a fact God gave all people a conscience because the Bible said so. I said it’s fact that it says in the Bible god did that. Don’t be so quick to be disagreeable. Or take more than 2 seconds to read something.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 5:47 pm
capleton wrote: Sep 17th, 2022, 3:05 pm

I’m sure you’re smarter than that. I didn’t say it’s a fact God gave all people a conscience because the Bible said so. I said it’s fact that it says in the Bible god did that. Don’t be so quick to be disagreeable. Or take more than 2 seconds to read something.
Ah so you are saying a fictional character said this in a fictional book. Okay, therefore?
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

Some you are missing the fundamental question, it's not which religion is correct. The question is how do you ground objectivity, morals/ethics, logic etc. in a materialist/atheist worldview.
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: Sep 16th, 2022, 7:00 pm A two year old knows what’s fair and isn’t fair.
Hey - did your church push the "$2.00 thing" like crazy?

I asked this question on Youtube:
How do the (certain church) compare to other churches, about vaccinations? Do you think the governing body were more pro-vaccine?
Here was the answer:
Ever replied: "yes they pushed it down everyone’s throats. All of a sudden we were told to “trust the governments” 🤮"
So, if a church - ANY CHURCH - pushes the vaccine as much as Big Pharma Bonnie, that church is a bad organization.
That's one church that is proving (or trying to prove) there is no God.

:smt045
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

WESTman wrote: Sep 18th, 2022, 3:01 pm Some you are missing the fundamental question, it's not which religion is correct. The question is how do you ground objectivity, morals/ethics, logic etc. in a materialist/atheist worldview.
Define, for me, the materialist/atheist worldview. I think it's important to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

As an atheist, I can tell you that my position on god is that I have no reason to believe he exists. As such, I don't believe in a god. That's it. This doesn't say anything, at all, about where I get my morals from or if I have them at all. It doesn't define what is or isn't moral.

I've found that the only ones attempting to continue that discussion are the people of faith. To me, it's a question that doesn't really need an answer. I couldn't do it justice anyhow. Religious people sitting around discussing morality just never overlaps in the lives of atheists. There is little to be gained from an atheist other than judgement from people of faith.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”