Who was Jesus of Nazareth?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Sol316
Fledgling

Who was Jesus of Nazareth?

Post by Sol316 »

Who was Jesus (Yeshua) of Nazareth? I think there are four or five possibilities:

1. Legend: a) never existed b) existed; but stories about a first-century man became embellished with retellings over the years, turning him into the God-man of the New Testament

2. Liar: a first-century man who was sane, but lied to others about being God's son.

3. Lunatic: a first-century man who was deluded/insane; he really thought he was God's son.

4. Lord: a first-century man but also God incarnate (1 Timothy 3:16)
capleton
Board Meister

Re: Who was Jesus of Nazareth?

Post by capleton »

4 seems highly unlikely, stories about god men were common in the ancient world and there are no sources for jesus anyway.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I would pick #1.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

1a, 2 (or 3)
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

1 or 2 or 3.

But I don't much care which one.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

---NO--- Never existed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

the truth wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 3:41 pm ---NO--- Never existed
I tend to think he was a real living normal (maybe crazed?) man that conned (or actually believed himself) gullible people into believing was was the Lord's son and they were the ones that made the 'legend' by writing the scriptures for future generational propagation/indoctrination.

Son of the Lord/Holy Spirit...Hell no!
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

YzzzR1 wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 3:48 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 3:41 pm ---NO--- Never existed
I tend to think he was a real living normal (maybe crazed?) man that conned (or actually believed himself) gullible people into believing was was the Lord's son and they were the ones that made the 'legend' by writing the scriptures for future generational propagation/indoctrination.

Son of the Lord/Holy Spirit...Hell no!
that i could believe
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sol316
Fledgling

Post by Sol316 »

From the 2005 book: Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas:
Bono: "So what you’re left with is: either Christ was who He said He was, the Messiah, or a complete nutcase. I mean, we’re talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we’ve been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had 'King of the Jews' on his head, and, as they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I’m not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me, that’s farfetched."

C.S. Lewis wrote: "I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
Sol316
Fledgling

Post by Sol316 »

capleton wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 2:35 pm 4 seems highly unlikely, stories about god men were common in the ancient world and there are no sources for jesus anyway.
Please explain: "there are no sources for jesus anyway."

What would you accept as a reliable source of information for the existence of a first-century man (AD/CE) named Jesus (Greek form of Yeshua) of Nazareth?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I am waiting for woke community to start :swear: ing and complaining about the calendar on B.C & A.D.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote: Oct 30th, 2022, 7:37 am I am waiting for woke community to start :swear: ing and complaining about the calendar on B.C & A.D.
give in time,
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

He was a man. A very good one, but a man nonetheless.

I have never given any thought to his being mentally unstable though.

More likely his disciples were the crazy ones.

Hell of a burden though.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

He was a brown Jew who liked to hang out with prostitutes and the Leon ave. crowd. Looks like his Mum was a bit of a scrubber too. And the right wing evangelicals of today would happily crusify him.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”