Faith On Decline

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
captkirkcanada
Banned

Faith On Decline

Post by captkirkcanada »

https://biv.com/article/2022/12/survey- ... ted-states

Thank god . The more ppl that dont believe in made up stuff the better in my opinion
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
ChocolateNecessary91
Fledgling

Re: Faith On Decline

Post by ChocolateNecessary91 »

I find no shortage of people without faith who believe in made up stuff.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

ChocolateNecessary91 wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 11:12 am I find no shortage of people without faith who believe in made up stuff.
:up: People believing in God should be the least of our concern
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Saw this the other day...
Speaker 1 - Okay, new rule: if you regularly consume the blood and flesh of a demigod in a room full of chanting elders, you're not allowed to call other religions primitive and evil.

Speaker 2 - This is oddly specific and leaves some very interesting questions unanswered.

Speaker 3 - Catholicism sure does sound weird when you put it that way.
and
Christians condemning other spiritual practices deemed strange/primitive/witchcraft will never not be funny to me, especially Catholics.

On Sunday you'll eat human flesh and drink human blood to purify yourself and renew the covenant... so maybe you're not in the best position to call anyone out.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 9:31 am https://biv.com/article/2022/12/survey- ... ted-states

Thank god . The more ppl that dont believe in made up stuff the better in my opinion
So you see great harm in the Indigenous returning to their faith after enduring the rigours of residential schools and cultural genocide. That's just so disgusting, and downright evil.
"The western far Left is habitually the most stupid, naive people you can imagine. They come up with these really goofy constructs and it's all about feeling good about yourself."
From the river to the sea, Israel must be psychopath Hamas free.
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

steven lloyd wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 11:25 am
ChocolateNecessary91 wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 11:12 am I find no shortage of people without faith who believe in made up stuff.
:up: People believing in God should be the least of our concern
More people have died and more wars have been fought in the name of religion, than all others through history.
Religion is on the decline and religious zealots are being found to be immoral.
How can one have faith in any religion when you can't have faith in their leaders?
MY OPINIONS MEAN NOTHING, SAME AS YOURS
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Kodidad wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 9:15 pm More people have died and more wars have been fought in the name of religion, than all others through history.
Religion is on the decline and religious zealots are being found to be immoral.
How can one have faith in any religion when you can't have faith in their leaders?
I won't argue that, but when I refer to a belief in God, or a higher power or some unexplainable universal force (more in line with theories of quantum physics) I am not referring to religion. Spiritual beliefs and religious beliefs are not mutually inclusive and religious leaders no better or worse than our political leaders. Whether political or religious it is these zealots and their followers (eg. anti-vaxxers, freedumb convoy supporters,Trumpers, etc.) who present the threat, and the thing they have in common is their willingness to spread and be duped by misinformation.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well saiid Steven. The terms “religion” and “spirituality” are too often used interchangeably and that is not accurate. From my point of view religion usually involves following an established set of rules or guidelines, often coming in the form of a sacred text of some description. I see spirituality as more of a personal exploration, or search for truth if you will. The former means submitting to the will of others, the latter an exercise in individual freedom. That people find comfort in religion is their own business, but history is replete with examples of so-called “leaders” using religion as a tool to manipulate others for purposes that are clearly not in keeping with the tenets of whatever religion is involved.
"The cleverest ruse of the Devil is to persuade you he does not exist."
- Charles Baudelaire, 1864
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

fluffy wrote: Dec 6th, 2022, 6:48 am From my point of view religion usually involves following an established set of rules or guidelines, often coming in the form of a sacred text of some description. I see spirituality as more of a personal exploration, or search for truth if you will. The former means submitting to the will of others, the latter an exercise in individual freedom.
:smt045 Very well said and right on the money as far as
describing the difference between the two terms.
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

I'm on board with you both. :130:
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

Kodidad wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 9:15 pm Religion is on the decline and religious zealots are being found to be immoral.
What is moral and immoral in a reality with no god? Where is the foundation for those value judgements?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Great points , and yea i do agree that when the masses see the leaders not really leading , ppl tend to go hmmm. :up:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

WESTman wrote: Dec 6th, 2022, 10:08 am
What is moral and immoral in a reality with no god? Where is the foundation for those value judgements?
I think morality is based on laws of the land, the common good, the values of the majority. What is moral for some is not so for others. Morals change. Sins that are deemed to be immoral in some countries, are not in others. Improper wearing of a "hijab" get a visit from the "morality police" yet here, it doesn't matter. Multiple wives are fine, yet here it's bigomy. In places, abortion is immoral, being gay is immoral. Depends on where you are and the community values. Does that "immoral" act offend the community, or is it accepted as a norm?
Morality is a complex issue which may have little impact by your belief in god whoever he/she may be. Maybe we, as humanity, are outgrowing that foundation and see its decline, as faith in institutions decline.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

There is actually no wonder why. Most people have a bad experience with a church and its parishioners. Or saw the unbelievable hypocrisy. Or decided to stop waking up in the morning and beating themselves up because someone told them they are a sinner and have to meet unreasonable standards. I went - and I have my fire insurance. No big deal.
WESTman
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by WESTman »

Kodidad wrote: Dec 6th, 2022, 4:56 pm I think morality is based on laws of the land, the common good, the values of the majority. What is moral for some is not so for others. Morals change. Sins that are deemed to be immoral in some countries, are not in others. Improper wearing of a "hijab" get a visit from the "morality police" yet here, it doesn't matter. Multiple wives are fine, yet here it's bigomy. In places, abortion is immoral, being gay is immoral. Depends on where you are and the community values. Does that "immoral" act offend the community, or is it accepted as a norm?
Morality is a complex issue which may have little impact by your belief in god whoever he/she may be. Maybe we, as humanity, are outgrowing that foundation and see its decline, as faith in institutions decline.
So things are moral because people in authority say so? Or because the majority believe it?
"When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind".
~C. S. Lewis

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”