Religion in governance

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
BelieverinSciencethanks
Board Meister

Religion in governance

Post by BelieverinSciencethanks »

Why do so many people continue to place their belief in a deity at the forefront of decision making when it comes to governance? I've never understood it. In Canada, we have the right to believe what we want. What I don't understand is, why do so many people who are religious feel that non believers shouldn't be extended the same courtesy and keep the country secular?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Religion in governance

Post by GordonH »

I’m old enough to remember in elementary school (public school system) we would start the day with singing “O Canada” then the Lords Prayer, then prior to last bell we would sing “God save the Queen”.

Then all of a sudden this all stopped and singing national anthem happen only at assembly (and God Save the Queen wasn’t sung anymore).
It’s been very long time ago, can’t remember which grade this all happened.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

BelieverinSciencethanks wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 7:39 pm Why do so many people continue to place their belief in a deity at the forefront of decision making when it comes to governance? I've never understood it. In Canada, we have the right to believe what we want. What I don't understand is, why do so many people who are religious feel that non believers shouldn't be extended the same courtesy and keep the country secular?
This is the craziest thing. If you are religious and abortion is taboo.... don't have one personally. If you don't want to dress in drag.....then don't.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If I understand the OP properly, it's bad if someone's religion tells them to increase the welfare state, but if someone wants to increase the welfare state because they're schizophrenic and the voices in their head tell them to do it then that's perfectly fine.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

BelieverinSciencethanks wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 7:39 pm Why do so many people continue to place their belief in a deity at the forefront of decision making when it comes to governance? I've never understood it. In Canada, we have the right to believe what we want. What I don't understand is, why do so many people who are religious feel that non believers shouldn't be extended the same courtesy and keep the country secular?
Keep the country secular?
It's never been secular, though it's a growing sentiment.

The Preamble to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms states: “Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law”.

The United States made a stronger effort to keep religion out of government than Canada did.

I actually wonder if people make decisions based on their deity of choice, or if the diety is used to justify the thoughts they arrive at on their own. For example, do some people think that homophobia is wrong because of god, or do they think it's wrong and use god to justify their beliefs. Chicken or egg type situation. There are reasons why some people choose to be Christian or choose to not drop that belief all together.
BelieverinSciencethanks
Board Meister

Post by BelieverinSciencethanks »

youjustcomplain wrote: Jan 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am
Keep the country secular?
It's never been secular, though it's a growing sentiment.

The Preamble to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms states: “Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law”.

The United States made a stronger effort to keep religion out of government than Canada did.

I actually wonder if people make decisions based on their deity of choice, or if the diety is used to justify the thoughts they arrive at on their own. For example, do some people think that homophobia is wrong because of god, or do they think it's wrong and use god to justify their beliefs. Chicken or egg type situation. There are reasons why some people choose to be Christian or choose to not drop that belief all together.
Agree with you a hundred percent! So many that are intolerant use religion as a convenient cover and justification to mask their hatred and bigotry. Posted something along your line of thinking yesterday in a different thread. It's easy to say, but, but the Bible says, and you can find a passage to justify any type of intolerance and inhumanity that suits your needs.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”