A Catholic Feminist? Yes - Abigail Favale on what even is Catholic Feminism and how to understand gender

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ChocolateNecessary91
Fledgling

A Catholic Feminist? Yes - Abigail Favale on what even is Catholic Feminism and how to understand gender

Post by ChocolateNecessary91 »

Favale has a PhD in ... uhm, some branch of feminist critique (??? - sorry I can't remember, she did say in the interview).

I found Favale's work through non-catholic and entirely non-religious channels. I am always pleased to discover intelligent people who break my pre-conceived notions of various things. Favvale is clearly well educated in feminism (hence the PhD in it) and is apparently deeply read on gender studies and the latest scientific studies regarding gender related things.

I found her thinking to be cogent and clear. You might enjoy her work as well. I linked to one of the videos I find she comes across strongest but you can just search her name and you will see a lot of videos where she is interviewed.
capleton
Board Meister

Re: A Catholic Feminist? Yes - Abigail Favale on what even is Catholic Feminism and how to understand gender

Post by capleton »

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 1 Timothy 2:12. the silly bible rules feminism out
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: A Catholic Feminist? Yes - Abigail Favale on what even is Catholic Feminism and how to understand gender

Post by GordonH »

capleton wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:29 pm I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 1 Timothy 2:12. the silly bible rules feminism out
Ever since the church took the bible and broke it into pieces/chapters and verses, they have been taking things totally out of context.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:29 pm I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 1 Timothy 2:12. the silly bible rules feminism out
GordonH wrote: May 11th, 2023, 6:23 pm Ever since the church took the bible and broke it into pieces/chapters and verses, they have been taking things totally out of context.
Is there a context that makes the quoted statement perfectly acceptable to feminists?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

youjustcomplain wrote: May 12th, 2023, 9:44 am
GordonH wrote: May 11th, 2023, 6:23 pm Ever since the church took the bible and broke it into pieces/chapters and verses, they have been taking things totally out of context.
Is there a context that makes the quoted statement perfectly acceptable to feminists?
To get complete context, one needs to read the entire book of 1 Timothy (totally ignore chapters & verses).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
capleton
Board Meister

Post by capleton »

That verse is pretty clear and it was practiced throughout most of history. In fact give one verse that is compatible with feminism Ephesians 5:22-24 (NIV)
“Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior

That's not compatible with feminism

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”