Why does the woman always get to pick the religion?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Why does the woman always get to pick the religion?

Post by Glacier »

And by "always" I mean most of the time.

Women have HUGE sway with men when it comes to religion. Not in every marriage for sure (I know quite a few where the woman goes to church and the man goes fishing), but it's crazy how many.

For example, a friend of mine and his wife have been what I would call radical charismatic holy roller Christians for like 20 years. For them churches were never charismatic enough.

Anyway, because of the covid stuff, and being super anti-vax to the point of crazy conspiracy theorist far beyond regular vaccine skepticism that many of us share, she suddenly became a radical new ager into crystals and the whole 9 years. Suddenly all churches are cults. And he just believes whatever she does as soon as she does as far as I can tell.

This is not an isolated case. Another friend fell in love with a devout Catholic. They have a very strict Catholic household with the 8 children to prove it.

So why do men so often blindly let women do their thinking for them when it comes to religion?

Or is it just one of these cases where it's not worth the fight? When a woman is passionate about something, good luck trying to disagree, right? [icon_lol2.gif]
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Why does the woman always get to pick the religion?

Post by the truth »

imo, all religions are for the weak minded, just people looking for something to fill a void in there lives,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I would question this based on religion. (different faiths are more male controlled i feel)

However based on the Christian based side of things, I would have to agree that the influence was often more from the mother side that I would see. If they decided to change from one church to another it was often the mom making the decision.

Now this may be due to the ongoing dynamics of groups of women. For instance I'll watch a group of men, very little change year to year in the group, a group of women well after a couple years they group is often very different, or disbanded and a new group found altogether.

If the social structure of the women's group isn't fulfilling to the individual be it a sports team, a dinner club, book club, or church, then they likely seek a new framework to try, but I see small groups of women stay close over years, but groups larger 8-15 I've seen dismantle over and over. This could also just happen to be something I have seen a lot and others haven't and therefore a skewed statistic.

I also think men are more lackadaisical towards religion. They may believe just as much but the need to put in the show at a building I think is lesser. (not all I had an uncle that was very YAY IT's Sunday, let's go to church at least TWICE today)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Pretty simple. I wouldn't date someone who's religion didn't correspond with mine.

Same thing with smoking. If I met someone and she was a smoker, that'd be the end of any thought of dating her.

I never had to worry about those conflicts. There's always enough to go around without those two.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 2:33 pm Pretty simple. I wouldn't date someone who's religion didn't correspond with mine.

Same thing with smoking. If I met someone and she was a smoker, that'd be the end of any thought of dating her.

I never had to worry about those conflicts. There's always enough to go around without those two.
And what happens when she "Finds" Religion after you are married? Would you go along, go fishing or go away?

Personally I would probably divorce her if she was nutso crazy about it.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 3:48 pm And what happens when she "Finds" Religion after you are married? Would you go along, go fishing or go away?

Yup, I'm with you.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

To answer the thread title...
It's a fair tradeoff and a small sacrifice to give her that considering she'll be chained to the kitchen and constantly pregnant.
:thumbsdown: :runforlife:
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oldtrucker wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 5:06 pm To answer the thread title...
It's a fair tradeoff and a small sacrifice to give her that considering she'll be chained to the kitchen and constantly pregnant.
Do you know why Women have small feet?

So they can stand close to the stove and sink... :runforlife:
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 5:24 pm
oldtrucker wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 5:06 pm To answer the thread title...
Do you know why Women have small feet?

So they can stand close to the stove and sink... :runforlife:
LOL. I have never heard that one.
My husband says I don't need a watch because there is a clock on the stove.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Simple answers:

1) Women enjoy community/social aspects provided by church, while most men prefer solitude during time off from work.
2) "Happy wife, happy life." Men don't care about church, but they go along to keep their wives happy.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This might explain something, considering my stated positions.

I'm coming up on my 49th wedding anniversary next month !!!

• 1st - wife 3.4 years
• 2nd - wife 29.7 years
• Last - wife 15.9 years

Hallmark has all sorts of cards, but I bet they don't have one for this.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

My wife's family were paying for most of our wedding so I was fine going along with getting married in their church.
If my wife had her way we would have eloped.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In Islam it is forbidden for a woman to marry a non-Muslim, but it is perfectly acceptable for a Muslim man to marry a non-Muslim. In many cases it's encouraged.

This is really interesting because in the west, or at least withing a Christian context, women drive religion, but in Islam, it's the man who tells the woman what to do, and the children must be raised Muslim.

Most religions frown on interfaith marriages, which I think is because of conflict raising children.

Personally, I don't think it's that much a deal when you're beyond kids phase.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 20th, 2023, 3:48 pm And what happens when she "Finds" Religion after you are married? Would you go along, go fishing or go away?

It would be grounds for divorce around here too.
I do think people need to be careful with the concept of religion and how it differs from faith. My wife has all sorts of faith that I don't share, but neither of us belong to or practice any sort of religion.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”