Quebec firm buys Kelowna Retirement Homes

captkirkcanada
Board Meister

Re: Quebec firm buys Kelowna Retirement Homes

Post by captkirkcanada »

Queen K wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 12:30 pm The only area we differ is payments. I have a different take on payments for services. The Province bases everything on income. After that, we agree.

I know of one place that has a lot of empty units, almost crippling. IF only they'd make their rents a bit more affordable, maybe they'd get those rooms rented out. But it is not for me to name that place.
no need to name, just work towards a base level of care that everyone deserves. we all deserve to live our final years with dignity :130:
I wish people understood that COVID becoming endemic would mean that we had to think about it all the time, not that we never had to think about it again
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

PoplarSoul wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 8:06 am
Fancy wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 6:33 pm There are retirement residences in Ontario that offer varying services but they are retirement and not long term care. You pay for everything and when I read 2 grand for here that’s pretty good when including meals.
Like Daria said: "There is a huge difference between provinces and health care services."
Jhalbute's parents in Red Deer, Alberta has "team of registered staff members are there for daily support and services".
I have a family member living in a senior retirement residence, independent living, who has a registered nurse on staff 24/7.
Not living in B.C. though.
And yes at a cost. As per service, emergency bracelet (fee if used, I can't get up), emergency cord in all rooms, will call the paramedics if necessary, medication at meal times, flu shot, blood collection for tests, etc ..
Not quite assisted living yet.
But the cost is worthwhile in my opinion.
Queen said no such thing exists in B.C.
Maybe the senior retirement residence owners should re-evaluate as that seems backwards to me.
It provides a great service to the elderly who are still mobile.
2 grand .. yes, cheaper back east for sure.
It will cost much more here in Kelowna though I'm sure.
I believe my parents were paying over $6000, which included food, laundry, and free use of bowling alleys and theatres of course. I don't think they ever used the nursing services but would use their family doctor outside the facility. Without a government funded room, they can be quite pricey. Trying to find a retirement home in BC with a bowling alley is tough. Perhaps these sort of 'super-facilities' are a new idea? I see quite a few in BC have theatres, spas, and more.
Huxley - "For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

When it is an independent resort type place for seniors, there are no government funded rooms.

The only place that might have government funded rooms right now MAY be Orchard Gardens in Rutland but their product model so to speak is quite different. The building used to be called Fernbrea but is now under new managemet as Orchard Gardens.

https://orchardgardens.ca/

Note their Services and Service statements: for home support within their premises, you contract out your own. End.

I couldn't find anything in there about govt funded rooms so maybe not.
When it's all and only fun and games, no one needs to censor you. Get close to an ugly truth though...
Catri
Übergod

Post by Catri »

Queen K wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 1:09 pm When it is an independent resort type place for seniors, there are no government funded rooms.

The only place that might have government funded rooms right now MAY be Orchard Gardens in Rutland but their product model so to speak is quite different. The building used to be called Fernbrea but is now under new managemet as Orchard Gardens.

https://orchardgardens.ca/

Note their Services and Service statements: for home support within their premises, you contract out your own. End.

I couldn't find anything in there about govt funded rooms so maybe not.
Sun Pointe has subsidized rooms. Again, it's a different business model than the retirement "resorts", but they do have independent, assisted and LTC.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good to know. I believe their staff look after all the care aid needs as IH no longer sends in theirs.
When it's all and only fun and games, no one needs to censor you. Get close to an ugly truth though...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just to show how mixed up people get in their ideas of who provides what services I shall relate what was told to my mom.

Mom was likely saying she should move into a retirement complex, that's the gist anyways. When one in the building where she lives gave some advice.

"There is a building on Benvoulin where you go to get your name put in."

1. There is no "building on Benvoulin to put your name in." For independent living, you go door to door to take their tours, maybe have the free lunch, listen to their sales pitch as to why you should move in to their premises.

2. IF this well meaning person meant Benvoulin Court, then they meant The Society of Hope. https://societyofhope.org/ . Society of Hope provides housing. Not cooking/cleaning/medical services. Again, individuals contract that out as per their choice. A fourth building is slated to be built and it can not happen fast enough, the need is so great.

3. The way I understand it, you have to be low income. Maybe even not necessarily entirely retired, but I'd have to find out.

Anyways, the original statement made my mom want me to go on some wild goose chase, fortuntately I know better. But this is how misinformation gets started.

Return to “Central Okanagan”