Shelter for Homeless?

User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23446
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by alanjh595 »

captkirkcanada wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 1:16 pm Distilary is donating hot food for ppl without homes for every product they sell . Just dont after enjoying snd use responsibaly :130:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/39 ... day-season
Nothing like kicking sand in the face of a benefactor.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
spooker
Guru
Posts: 5544
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by spooker »

Patron wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 1:12 pm there should be a service where these items could get dropped off and laundered, I mean we're all paying a carbon tax to help save the environment yet we we're letting this happen ? I can't imagine how much of our Landfills are full of good clothing, blankets etc just because nobody wants to recycle it by washing it. Maybe some of that "carbon tax" could be used for something like this.
While there is an aspect of climate change that could loosely be tied to the rising population of homeless I think the revenue from carbon taxes is already being allocated for efforts to recover from other effects caused by said ...

We used to have a lot of donation bins downtown for clothing but they got pulled out of circulation as the rate of people being injured and/or killed rose and there wasn't a good solution being engineered to make them safe ... the biggest hurdle to stopping textiles from going into the landfills is more about entitlement, it's not convenient enough for people to not just bin them instead ...

We're not "letting" it happen as much as we are "designing" it by our lifestyles ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23446
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 2:01 pm
Patron wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 1:12 pm there should be a service where these items could get dropped off and laundered, I mean we're all paying a carbon tax to help save the environment yet we we're letting this happen ? I can't imagine how much of our Landfills are full of good clothing, blankets etc just because nobody wants to recycle it by washing it. Maybe some of that "carbon tax" could be used for something like this.
While there is an aspect of climate change that could loosely be tied to the rising population of homeless I think the revenue from carbon taxes is already being allocated for efforts to recover from other effects caused by said ...

We used to have a lot of donation bins downtown for clothing but they got pulled out of circulation as the rate of people being injured and/or killed rose and there wasn't a good solution being engineered to make them safe ... the biggest hurdle to stopping textiles from going into the landfills is more about entitlement, it's not convenient enough for people to not just bin them instead ...

We're not "letting" it happen as much as we are "designing" it by our lifestyles ...
I agree with the caveat that to take these items to a donation site requires the cost and use of fossil fuel and time to deliver them to these locations.
Garbage trucks are at the front door once a week, so they have already spent the cost of fuel to get there, our taxes are already paying for the time to pick those items up.
Why would anyone pay to donate in these difficult times?
Bring back the LIKE button.
ash71
Fledgling
Posts: 164
Joined: Sep 1st, 2006, 11:15 am

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by ash71 »

alanjh595 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 2:34 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 2:01 pm

While there is an aspect of climate change that could loosely be tied to the rising population of homeless I think the revenue from carbon taxes is already being allocated for efforts to recover from other effects caused by said ...

We used to have a lot of donation bins downtown for clothing but they got pulled out of circulation as the rate of people being injured and/or killed rose and there wasn't a good solution being engineered to make them safe ... the biggest hurdle to stopping textiles from going into the landfills is more about entitlement, it's not convenient enough for people to not just bin them instead ...

We're not "letting" it happen as much as we are "designing" it by our lifestyles ...
I agree with the caveat that to take these items to a donation site requires the cost and use of fossil fuel and time to deliver them to these locations.
Garbage trucks are at the front door once a week, so they have already spent the cost of fuel to get there, our taxes are already paying for the time to pick those items up.
Why would anyone pay to donate in these difficult times?
This attitude is really sad. So you prefer to overload the landfills with perfectly good items just because you're too cheap to donate them to a local charity shop? I sure hope you've taught your kids better.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23446
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by alanjh595 »

ash71 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 3:33 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 2:34 pm

I agree with the caveat that to take these items to a donation site requires the cost and use of fossil fuel and time to deliver them to these locations.
Garbage trucks are at the front door once a week, so they have already spent the cost of fuel to get there, our taxes are already paying for the time to pick those items up.
Why would anyone pay to donate in these difficult times?
This attitude is really sad. So you prefer to overload the landfills with perfectly good items just because you're too cheap to donate them to a local charity shop? I sure hope you've taught your kids better.
I am of Scottish/English descent and have been brought up to use something until there is no life left in it. The waste that my kids are producing, disgusts me. I use my bedsheets, towels, and t-shirts until they are thread bare, and then I rip them up to tie up my tomato plants and use for rags.
You are barking up the wrong tree.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
Posts: 8920
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by Ken7 »

FreeRights wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 10:28 pm
normaM wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 5:16 am I still am on the fence about wet shelters. If there was only dry shelters I think more ppl would get on board re building more facilities
You aren't wrong, but if the options that exist are wet shelters or homeless people freezing to death on the side of the street, I'd argue most people would suddenly be supporting wet shelters.
You might be shocked, as most people including myself see only the negatives of drug abuse. Yes we may not be totally educated on how these people arrived at the street location.

It comes to a stage where people say enough is enough and do not feel giving people with addictions all they need, call it tough love or ignorance if you wish. We just have seen enough.

You give and you give and the blanket of today is garbage on the street the next morning.

Like facilitating an alcoholic sooner or later you have to let them hit bottom and yes sadly that could be death.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23446
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 4:13 pm
FreeRights wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 10:28 pm
You aren't wrong, but if the options that exist are wet shelters or homeless people freezing to death on the side of the street, I'd argue most people would suddenly be supporting wet shelters.
You might be shocked, as most people including myself see only the negatives of drug abuse. Yes we may not be totally educated on how these people arrived at the street location.

It comes to a stage where people say enough is enough and do not feel giving people with addictions all they need, call it tough love or ignorance if you wish. We just have seen enough.

You give and you give and the blanket of today is garbage on the street the next morning.

Like facilitating an alcoholic sooner or later you have to let them hit bottom and yes sadly that could be death.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
spooker
Guru
Posts: 5544
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 2:34 pm I agree with the caveat that to take these items to a donation site requires the cost and use of fossil fuel and time to deliver them to these locations.
Garbage trucks are at the front door once a week, so they have already spent the cost of fuel to get there, our taxes are already paying for the time to pick those items up.
Why would anyone pay to donate in these difficult times?
Though the garbage trucks use the same if not more fuel to transport them ... used the word "convenience" specifically for the connotation that most can't be bothered to take the time (as you noted) ... as we've seen people are focussing themselves on the "individual" that while there can be a "payoff" to society for taking these items in for donation there is no explicit benefit to the "individual" ... many of us just plain suck as humans
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
one wheel
Übergod
Posts: 1209
Joined: Dec 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by one wheel »

I can't believe how many homeless I'm seeing.
Today I drove along Weddell Place & the homeless are camped beside the Rail Trail from Richter to Ethel St. & there are several people sleeping downtown on the sidewalk along Leon Ave.
This doesn't include all those in other areas of the City.
Kelowna will never have enough shelters if new arrivals keep streaming in because this is "the place" to be.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by normaM »

I understood there was laundry services, Pathways for one place. Often the stuff gets tossed so they don't have to cart it around
As for the app... I worry that by the time someone gets to the next shelter that bed is gone.
Time to be more creative during these cold months, at least set up heating stations.
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23446
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by alanjh595 »

normaM wrote: Nov 24th, 2022, 5:08 am I understood there was laundry services, Pathways for one place. Often the stuff gets tossed so they don't have to cart it around
As for the app... I worry that by the time someone gets to the next shelter that bed is gone.
Time to be more creative during these cold months, at least set up heating stations.
Maybe they should put up no/vacancy signs in front of these places.
Bring back the LIKE button.
FreeRights
Guru
Posts: 5675
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by FreeRights »

Ken7 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 4:13 pm
FreeRights wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 10:28 pm
You aren't wrong, but if the options that exist are wet shelters or homeless people freezing to death on the side of the street, I'd argue most people would suddenly be supporting wet shelters.
You might be shocked, as most people including myself see only the negatives of drug abuse. Yes we may not be totally educated on how these people arrived at the street location.

It comes to a stage where people say enough is enough and do not feel giving people with addictions all they need, call it tough love or ignorance if you wish. We just have seen enough.

You give and you give and the blanket of today is garbage on the street the next morning.

Like facilitating an alcoholic sooner or later you have to let them hit bottom and yes sadly that could be death.
I agree that people can hold that opinion - I don't really disagree with it myself. That said, it couldn't be a position that society can take.

Especially when the economy is going in the direction that it is, and with our health and homelessness resources struggling or, in some cases, are nonexistent altogether.

There are a lot of places in Canada where, if someone needed support in getting off drug use, that support simply isn't there or there are great delays in receiving it. Particularly with people with no fixed address or no shelter, they may not be in a position to simply wait there until an opportunity exists.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3737
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by captkirkcanada »

FreeRights wrote: Nov 24th, 2022, 11:22 am
Ken7 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 4:13 pm

You might be shocked, as most people including myself see only the negatives of drug abuse. Yes we may not be totally educated on how these people arrived at the street location.

It comes to a stage where people say enough is enough and do not feel giving people with addictions all they need, call it tough love or ignorance if you wish. We just have seen enough.

You give and you give and the blanket of today is garbage on the street the next morning.

Like facilitating an alcoholic sooner or later you have to let them hit bottom and yes sadly that could be death.
I agree that people can hold that opinion - I don't really disagree with it myself. That said, it couldn't be a position that society can take.

Especially when the economy is going in the direction that it is, and with our health and homelessness resources struggling or, in some cases, are nonexistent altogether.

There are a lot of places in Canada where, if someone needed support in getting off drug use, that support simply isn't there or there are great delays in receiving it. Particularly with people with no fixed address or no shelter, they may not be in a position to simply wait there until an opportunity exists.
Very true :130:
Justin keeps winning , the worldz bad guys keeps losing
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Shelter for Homeless?

Post by normaM »

where are these places with no supports?
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day

Return to “Central Okanagan”