Skytrain a good addition to Kelowna?

Skytrain a good addition to Kelowna?

Postby GoStumpy » Jun 10th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I personally think there is no such thing as a better transit system than Skytrain. Bus systems with Skytrain depots as their hubs. Skytrain passes are the same as bus passes, and transfer the same.

1. Stevens Exchange
2. Richter St
3. Gordon St
4. Spall
5. Dilworth
6. Baron Rd.
7. Sexsmith
8. UBCO
9. Winfield Plaza

That way, students that live in westbank, kelowna, and Winfield could all commute with a monthly transit pass, on skytrain which travels at 70+km/h and never has to stop for traffic.

2, 3, 4 cars all connected on Skytrain use very little power and produce ZERO emissions.

Because it is built on concrete pillars, very little land is needed, as it can run alongside or in the middle of highway 97.

Thoughts or Comments?
Last edited by GoStumpy on Mar 3rd, 2010, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 452 posts

Re: Skytrain a good addition to Kelowna?

Postby honkonbobo » Jun 11th, 2008, 7:20 am

I like the idea, when i'm in Vancouver i make an effort to use the skytrain because it takes me to places where i going.. i.e Science Centre, Canucks game, etc. After vehicle insurance, the maintenance costs, and of course gasoline, i spend at least 4-500 /month for having the right to drive my truck. I'm sure this money could be spent else where if this option were available. Some house hold have 3-5 vehicles in there driveway, even if cutting that to 1 or 2 i think a skytrain is a would be worth it
honkonbobo
Fledgling

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 11th, 2008, 7:47 am

Yes

Most definitely worth it. Then there could be a bus or two for each of those streets meaning a more frequent service down those main roads.

I think, honestly, it's a pipe dream.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3598 posts

Postby onestop67 » Jun 11th, 2008, 8:52 am

I think it's a great idea. =D>

Here's the snag, how much would it cost?
onestop67
Guru

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby mrj222 » Jun 11th, 2008, 9:00 am

onestop67 wrote:I think it's a great idea. =D>

2 swimming pools?
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
mrj222
Übergod

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby Fancy » Jun 11th, 2008, 9:07 am

you might be interested in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12381
I'm afraid I'm been waiting so long for better transit and a second crossing of the bridge that chances are slim to none that any kind of train will become available for me to use.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5776 posts

Postby onestop67 » Jun 11th, 2008, 9:17 am

That thread was about using the existing tracks and running on the ground. That was not the best idea. Something that does not become affected by vehicle traffic and that ran right up the center would work well. In later years they could branch off a line into the other areas. An arm into Rutland, one into the Mission etc.
onestop67
Guru

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby cutter7 » Jun 11th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Excellent idea! it would be nice if one could connect from kettle valley also
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby twz1982 » Jun 12th, 2008, 10:43 am

Will be fantastic to get tourists to explore more of the lesser known areas and businesses as well.

This is the time to start a project like this.

Some may say "we're not big enough for this type of infrastructure"...but then regret it when there's too many people and not enough infrastructure.

Skytrain would be amazing in Kelowna. Run it down harvey in the centre. Kelowna is too dependant on cars.

I for one bought a car last year because I needed it, and knew our transit system was not very good...if there was a sky train I would ditch a car permanently.
twz1982

Liked in: 1 post

Postby daedalus » Jun 15th, 2008, 10:39 pm

onestop67 wrote:I think it's a great idea. =D>

Exactly what my thoughts were.
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
daedalus
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby GoStumpy » Jun 16th, 2008, 9:06 pm

$500-$800 million

Cheap considering what Vancouver is spending.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Postby OREZ » Jun 16th, 2008, 9:21 pm

I would love to see it. The sky train is a great and ever improving (or should I say expanding) way to get around Vancouver and area.

Vancouver's population base was quite a lot larger when they introduced it there than ours is now. Then again, times have changed with fuel costs and more awareness of the problems heavy traffic and conjestion create. I'd love to see us think much farther ahead than we have in the past when it comes to planning so I think it would be a fantastic addition to Kelowna.

...but I won't hold my breath
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1082 posts

Postby GoStumpy » Jun 16th, 2008, 9:49 pm

I also think that given to the right group of companies, the contract to build a Kelowna Skytrain could be much more cost-effective than a Vancouver-built one.

Skytrain uses concrete piers to hold itself above ground, approximately 100' apart. 8 miles of Skytrain needed to cross the Lake, follow Harvey all the way to UBC. Assuming that there would be NO ground-level skytrain, it would need ~422 pillars. I am fairly certain that the Skytrain could touch down after Sexsmith and use ground-level for the last mile, so we'll round down to 375 Pillars.

If each pillar cost ~$500,000 to construct, that would be $187.5 million for the pillars alone.

Then the concrete for the line to run on would total 42,000feet, guessing something around $10,000/foot would be close, totalling another $400million.

Then we have the stations that need to be built, skytrains, rail, energy, all these fancy things would probably add another $50-$80million.

That gives me a total of $668million to build Skytrain in Kelowna.

Considering a bridge across the lake cost $150million, $600million for a permanent, useable, efficient and SMART rapid-transit system is not too far out-of-line.

Anyone agree? Disagree?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Postby AlanH » Jun 16th, 2008, 10:26 pm

GoStumpy wrote:I also think that given to the right group of companies, the contract to build a Kelowna Skytrain could be much more cost-effective than a Vancouver-built one.

Skytrain uses concrete piers to hold itself above ground, approximately 100' apart. 8 miles of Skytrain needed to cross the Lake, follow Harvey all the way to UBC. Assuming that there would be NO ground-level skytrain, it would need ~422 pillars. I am fairly certain that the Skytrain could touch down after Sexsmith and use ground-level for the last mile, so we'll round down to 375 Pillars.

If each pillar cost ~$500,000 to construct, that would be $187.5 million for the pillars alone.

Then the concrete for the line to run on would total 42,000feet, guessing something around $10,000/foot would be close, totalling another $400million.

Then we have the stations that need to be built, skytrains, rail, energy, all these fancy things would probably add another $50-$80million.

That gives me a total of $668million to build Skytrain in Kelowna.

Considering a bridge across the lake cost $150million, $600million for a permanent, useable, efficient and SMART rapid-transit system is not too far out-of-line.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Sounds like a great idea, but someone would complain that it's too bumpy, and their I-Pod skips when driving down the tracks.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby GoStumpy » Jun 16th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Skytrain is butter-smooth :)
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to Central Okanagan