Winfield Mobile Home Park

moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Winfield Mobile Home Park

Post by moi »

Does anyone know that the lease expires next summer? There's talk that they will renew the lease and things will not change but the ownership will change hands. Heard the bylaws, etc will not change only the ownership. The primary owner is in Edmonton and does not wish to move so will be keeping the trailer park as it is......

What do you know about it? I've seen a lot of the trailers for sale lately; mainly by elderly people and a lot of young people are buying the trailers. A couple did reno a trailer and sold it for dbl what they bought for it to another couple. Makes me wonder what's in Winfield Park's future??
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Winfield Mobile Home Park

Post by Phoenix Within »

moi wrote:Does anyone know that the lease expires next summer? There's talk that they will renew the lease and things will not change but the ownership will change hands. Heard the bylaws, etc will not change only the ownership. The primary owner is in Edmonton and does not wish to move so will be keeping the trailer park as it is......

What do you know about it? I've seen a lot of the trailers for sale lately; mainly by elderly people and a lot of young people are buying the trailers. A couple did reno a trailer and sold it for dbl what they bought for it to another couple. Makes me wonder what's in Winfield Park's future??

If the owner is from Edmonton, probably not good... I saw a lot of trailer parks being shut down and people evicted when I was living out there. Making way for condo complexes. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that's a nice piece of land there. Great view... nice selling point! The park might get a temporary reprieve, but if real estate climbs back up again it's days may be numbered.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Aluminium

Post by Aluminium »

The lease was for 45 years and the lady who leased it out passed and it was left to her family. The current lease is ending in Aug 09 and is not going to be renewed. There will be no new lease as it is going back to the original owner who is planning on running it themselves as a privately owned park.

They live in Calgary, not Edmonton. They do however, have now over 20 years of park management experience and say that their current intentions are to keep it running as a park.

The question is will it be eventually shut down and developed as part of the industrial park? Will they build commercial along Beaver Lake Rd? Is it still economically feasible to develop the land in the first place?

How much notice do they have to give to the pad renters? They are only on a month to month any ways. I have no idea of the legalities when it comes to evictions for landlords use of property in MHP's and especially when in is on native land.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

This is questionable what's going to happen due to Cooper Food store being up the road and they are expanding the area there...so I would think that it would be "cheaper" to sell off the land to the city so they can develop the land to make a mall or something like that over the Winfield Mobile Home Park.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Is that land part of Indian Reserve #7? If so, it can't be "sold".

That park is a cash cow. Developing it for a different use, especially in this economy, is highly unlikely, IMO.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
BoyBlunder

Post by BoyBlunder »

This is the rumor I've heard a few times over:
This year the park lease is up...the natives that own the land do not intend to renew the lease. They are going to leave it as a park (for now) and have a couple lined up to run the park that have experience running other parks (I've heard they run two parks in Salmon Arm, but have also heard it's Alberta not Salmon Arm...rumors are so unreliable. lol)
From my understanding the park will be under this new management and apparently "things are gonna be cleaned up". I hope this is all true as that park is in dire need of some better management and a good clean up. Someone to enforce the rules (no more derelict cars, broken and rotted fences, large breed free range canines, or yards used as mud bogs or multi-vehicle parking lots), and maintain things better.
For the sake of those in that park that really take pride in their home, I hope they do in fact clean it up and enforce the rules.
Trailer parks offer an affordable home/lifestyle to the working class in this overpriced valley, as well as offer a fantastic starter home for new families. If these little micro communities started to take some pride in their turf, perhaps they could get back to being a safe haven for kids to play and offer the protection of a neighbor that cares. One thing about such close living quarters is that you have to behave (to an extent) to keep your neighbors happy, you have a 24/7 security system in place (complete with nose prints on the picture window) and the closeness to "borrow a cup of sugar and an egg" when need be.
There are many benefits to this type of living, so once again for the sake of those who dwell in that park, I really hope this is going to be a change for the better.
I see quite a few people renovating (extensively) their homes in that area, so I sure hope the native band doesn't pull a slime-ball maneuver on them and sign a lease to a developer as soon as the market starts to rise again. That would be another tragic story with many victims left in the wake.
My proverbial fingers are crossed for the people of the WMHP.
dsldriver
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dsldriver »

The one thing I have never been able to figure out about these parks is why they have rulss about dogs. What does someone else care if my dog craps in MY yard, or in MY house. (not that it does) Why do we have such a stupid rule??!! Why not have a rule about cats that are always out of the yard, and climbing up on people's paint jobs and scratching them.

As for WMHP, it is in need of some help. Hope the new management does clean it up.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

I think that will be great if they did clean it up since it has gone downhill for the past 2 years. I've seen tons of roaming dogs, even some homes have 5-8 outside roaming cats (which is a big joke since I was told that the rules in the park is that cats are to be kept indoor or in a cattery), buyers buying drugs, disrespectful neighbours, messy neighbours, etc like that in that park. It's long overdue for overhaul.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dsl...ever live next to someone who doesn't clean up after their dog...in their yard?

I have...it is one seriously stinky situation...you can't enjoy your own yard or dare to try to eat a meal at the picnic table or on the deck...it's become a nasty stinky gross mess in no time.

People need rules...because people generally don't make good decisions on their own.

The dogs that roam free cannot be 'called in' to dog control because the land is 'native land'...so if you have a roamer that you want dealt with, I'd suggest trapping it...putting it in your trunk and driving to the other side of beaver lake rd and making the call...it'll cost the owners a crisp 50 to get the pooch back and a re-offender can lose their dog for good...

I'm a responsible dog owner...and to find these roamers on my deck harassing my well behaved disciplined animal infuriates me to no end...to make it worse...it's the a couple of irresponsible handicapped folks that are the worst in my case...just because you're deaf and mute doesn't mean you can let your mutt roam...just because you're in a wheelchair...doesn't mean you let your dog roam...your handicap isn't something to use an an excuse to be an irresponsible jerk...and it won't be tolerated by everyone...certainly not me...be prepared to lose your dog. Your handicap doesn't warrant leaving your poo-bombs around for others to deal with. If the dog control approach doesn't work...your pooch will be coyote feed on the high slopes of sunburn hill. Deal with it.

WMHP really has taken a dive these past couple of years. The management has lost interest even more now they know they aren't gonna be taking this easy ride any more after this summer. It's unfortunate to have a couple in charge that are unwilling to take charge...if you haven't got the time to deal effectively with your duties, then you have quite obviously taken on too much or you just don't care...either way there is no excuse. Good riddance to bad management.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

Graham Adder wrote:dsl...ever live next to someone who doesn't clean up after their dog...in their yard?

I have...it is one seriously stinky situation...you can't enjoy your own yard or dare to try to eat a meal at the picnic table or on the deck...it's become a nasty stinky gross mess in no time.

People need rules...because people generally don't make good decisions on their own.

The dogs that roam free cannot be 'called in' to dog control because the land is 'native land'...so if you have a roamer that you want dealt with, I'd suggest trapping it...putting it in your trunk and driving to the other side of beaver lake rd and making the call...it'll cost the owners a crisp 50 to get the pooch back and a re-offender can lose their dog for good...

I'm a responsible dog owner...and to find these roamers on my deck harassing my well behaved disciplined animal infuriates me to no end...to make it worse...it's the a couple of irresponsible handicapped folks that are the worst in my case...just because you're deaf and mute doesn't mean you can let your mutt roam...just because you're in a wheelchair...doesn't mean you let your dog roam...your handicap isn't something to use an an excuse to be an irresponsible jerk...and it won't be tolerated by everyone...certainly not me...be prepared to lose your dog. Your handicap doesn't warrant leaving your poo-bombs around for others to deal with. If the dog control approach doesn't work...your pooch will be coyote feed on the high slopes of sunburn hill. Deal with it.

WMHP really has taken a dive these past couple of years. The management has lost interest even more now they know they aren't gonna be taking this easy ride any more after this summer. It's unfortunate to have a couple in charge that are unwilling to take charge...if you haven't got the time to deal effectively with your duties, then you have quite obviously taken on too much or you just don't care...either way there is no excuse. Good riddance to bad management.

I agree..it's not only the handicap that let their dogs roam but the regular folks around there too...
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Yes there are plenty of people from all backgrounds that seem to think they can just let Rover out for a launch without regard for where or who it affects. This is where management should be stepping in to enforce the rules, but being that they...well...IMHO they SUCK so hard, they swallow and the pad paying residents can seem to do nothing to light a fire under their sloppy, greasy arses.

Getting back to the topic, I guess it's safe to say the WMHP should perhaps be considered closely when making a purchase, as there is a risk that the next in line could be worse still...nearly inconceivable but not quite. Until the new management steps in and we see what happens as far as changes go, it's hard to say whether it's an advisable place to set up camp or not. If you are highly tolerant and could care less about what goes on outside of your door, then by all means move in...bring some derelict cars and 'bud' drinking pals while you're at it. I think the WMHP needs a few more loud 4x4's too...the locals don't hear the dorks revving their mud boggers quite enough.

If you really dig 80's hair teased to amazing heights, cool dudes sporting mullets, free range canine meat on the paw, plaid flannel sleeveless shirts, the aroma of skunk emanating from your neighbors deck full of kids, the smell of soggy dung after a warm rain, straight pipes revving for hours and Bud cans for saturday morning hood ornaments...you're really gonna like the WMHP!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Wow, sounds kinda scary and an offshoot of Rutland.....
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

scary?

nah

an offshoot of Rutland?

nah

Just a sign of bad management...nothing less...nothing more...
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

Update anyone? I heard that it is now a dump. Management doesn't care. That's what I heard from a former resident there. We don't live there anymore and got out "in time". :eyeballspin:
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Graham Adder wrote:If you really dig 80's hair teased to amazing heights, cool dudes sporting mullets, free range canine meat on the paw, plaid flannel sleeveless shirts, the aroma of skunk emanating from your neighbors deck full of kids, the smell of soggy dung after a warm rain, straight pipes revving for hours and Bud cans for saturday morning hood ornaments...you're really gonna like the WMHP!

Sorry GA I have to correct you on this it's o'keefe's extra old stock NOT Bud.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.

Return to “Central Okanagan”