Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby forever_a » Sep 17th, 2009, 10:37 am

I want to build a house on a lot I own in Kelowna. I've been getting some very mixed responses for what this will cost me. Does anyone have insight on this?? Does anyone know what I should budget per square foot for 2000 square feet of house?? I know there are many things that would effect the price. I just want to know a rough amount. Thank you in advance.
forever_a
 
Posts: 47
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 18th, 2008, 10:29 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby zoltaneuropean » Sep 17th, 2009, 10:59 am

I dont really think anyone could tell you untill you got the house planned out such as whats going to be inside and everything else. care to flame.?
zoltaneuropean
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 12 posts

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby Lady tehMa » Sep 17th, 2009, 11:02 am

You would also have to factor in the state of the lot itself. Flat? Graded? Some houses require massive retaining walls and that gets quite expensive (but better than having a hillside end up in your living room).
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17438
Likes: 16385 posts
Liked in: 4056 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:51 pm

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby AlanH » Sep 17th, 2009, 11:04 am

$3,000,000.00 should cover it. Start at that number and then start cutting out perks and upgrades until it is within your price range.

Where do I send the bill for this estimate?
User avatar
AlanH
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4649
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:08 pm
Location: Kelowna, B.C. Canada

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby Bsuds » Sep 17th, 2009, 11:16 am

Give her a break she just wants a ball park figure. I would say $150-200 per sq ft. would be a safe guess and depending on what you want in quality etc would go up or down from there.
As mentioned the type of lot would be a consideration as well as if you are putting in a basement or just a pad/crawl space.
Lots of variables.
Apparently engaging in Sex on a regular basis is beneficial to having a good memory.

I just want to wish everyone a Happy New Year for 2014.

common_sense_guy likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43305
Likes: 9122 posts
Liked in: 11538 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby NAB » Sep 17th, 2009, 11:19 am

So much depends on the size (footprint) and style of the home, type and complexity of foundations etc, as well as the quality of construction and features involved. A typical higher end range for a not "over the top" 2000 square foot home with double garage (assuming all finished, excluding lot and landscaping, Architectural fees, etc) might be in the order of $300,000 - $400,000. I typically use 180 - 200 dollars per square foot, although a couple of years ago as high as $300 or more per finsihed square foot wasn't unusual here on mid Vancouver Island.

But that's not in Kelowna.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22985
Likes: 38 posts
Liked in: 207 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby forever_a » Sep 17th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Bsuds wrote:Give her a break she just wants a ball park figure. I would say $150-200 per sq ft. would be a safe guess and depending on what you want in quality etc would go up or down from there.
As mentioned the type of lot would be a consideration as well as if you are putting in a basement or just a pad/crawl space.
Lots of variables.



Thank you so much Bsuds. This is exactly what I was looking for. To the other posters here - OBVIOUSLY I would have specified when I first posted if there were major issues with the site and if I needed retaining walls etc. I appreciate that you (Bsuds) are someone who knows what you are talking about and wrote an INTELLIGENT response to my question. It's not an unusual question to ask what a person should budget for a home building project. I'm not familiar with prices in this area and contractors can normally give a person a rough estimate. Thanks again Bsuds. You rock!!
forever_a
 
Posts: 47
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 18th, 2008, 10:29 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby forever_a » Sep 17th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Nabcom wrote:So much depends on the size (footprint) and style of the home, type and complexity of foundations etc, as well as the quality of construction and features involved. A typical higher end range for a not "over the top" 2000 square foot home with double garage (assuming all finished, excluding lot and landscaping, Architectural fees, etc) might be in the order of $300,000 - $400,000. I typically use 180 - 200 dollars per square foot, although a couple of years ago as high as $300 or more per finsihed square foot wasn't unusual here on mid Vancouver Island.

But that's not in Kelowna.

Nab



Thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate the info. This sounds quite accurate. The most common response now seems to be 180 - 200 per square foot. Thanks again. Cheers!!
forever_a
 
Posts: 47
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 18th, 2008, 10:29 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna??

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Sep 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

I'm with Bsuds though I'd be inclined to favor the $200 mark over the $150 one.

Threehundred grand doesn't build you much of a house anymore these days unfortunately.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12496
Likes: 1120 posts
Liked in: 2652 posts
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:06 pm

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby Jlabute » Sep 18th, 2009, 9:39 am

amberK wrote:I want to build a house on a lot I own in Kelowna. I've been getting some very mixed responses for what this will cost me. Does anyone have insight on this?? Does anyone know what I should budget per square foot for 2000 square feet of house?? I know there are many things that would effect the price. I just want to know a rough amount. Thank you in advance.


I was looking for quotes on a new garage. Nothing large. Just around the 1000sq-ft size 1.5 height. My quotes ranged from $29,000 to $64,000. This was just 6 months ago. Materials are relatively inexpensive... you are paying mostly for labour. FOr a garage they say about $30 or less per SQ ft. For a home I heard it can be $100 to $150 per sq-ft. I was quoted $150 per SQ-ft for a carriage home.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
User avatar
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2013
Likes: 1056 posts
Liked in: 1289 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby forever_a » Sep 18th, 2009, 11:59 am

Jlabute wrote:I was looking for quotes on a new garage. Nothing large. Just around the 1000sq-ft size 1.5 height. My quotes ranged from $29,000 to $64,000. This was just 6 months ago. Materials are relatively inexpensive... you are paying mostly for labour. FOr a garage they say about $30 or less per SQ ft. For a home I heard it can be $100 to $150 per sq-ft. I was quoted $150 per SQ-ft for a carriage home.



Hmmm this sounds promising. Thank you so much for the info!! Good luck with the garage and carriage home!!
forever_a
 
Posts: 47
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 18th, 2008, 10:29 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby nellietheelephant » Sep 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Given the wide variety and quality of construction and finishes, it may be worth looking at new homes of the type you have in mind, look at lots in the same area and deduct the lot price from the home price. The final number will be on the high side but will give a good indication.

Nellie
nellietheelephant
Fledgling
 
Posts: 217
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:01 pm

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby Panzer130 » Sep 19th, 2009, 7:55 am

As a custom builder in Kelowna, let me give you some real numbers.

I can build a 1700 sqr ft home C/W Hardwood, Tile, Granite, 9ft Ceilings, full Ensuite, and Maple Cabinets with an unfinished basement for about 209 per sqr. If you decided to finish the basement, the cost per sqr ft would go down to 135 per sqr ft. So your cost per sqr ft is way down, but you are still going to pay more money.
356,000 / 1700 = 220
392,000 / ( 1700+1200 finished basement ) = 135
In the 1970-80's cost per sqr ft pricing was common due to the simplicity of the homes. Just take a drive through the older parts of town and note the simple rectangular homes. All had the same roof and shape, just a little bigger or smaller.
Today homes are all different shapes and styles. I priced two homes 4 sqr ft different in size (yes really 4 sqr ft ) and the base building costs were 40,000 different. This did not take in account the interior finish material, this is strictly structural.

The bottom line is: Meet with a couple of reputable builders and let them know your budget and likes/dislikes. Remember the most important thing!!! - You get what you pay for. A reputable builder will work with you to design the home in your price range and build it that way.

Hope this helps.
User avatar
Panzer130
Board Meister
 
Posts: 455
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 281 posts
Joined: Sep 19th, 2009, 7:00 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby goalie » Sep 19th, 2009, 10:28 am

i would wait until all the trades people are close to begging on the streets you'll get an even better rate. just make sure to throw them some food.
goalie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1739
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 255 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2005, 6:29 am

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby The Shadow Knows » Sep 19th, 2009, 10:51 am

goalie wrote:i would wait until all the trades people are close to begging on the streets you'll get an even better rate. just make sure to throw them some food.

Housing sales and new construction are picking up some. Lumber prices are down but, the Canadian $$ is up too. All factors that should have some consideration in your decision. If it was me, I would build now.
The Shadow Knows
Fledgling
 
Posts: 328
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 30th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], pieinthei, Scrobins94 and 8 guests