Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Re: Price for building a new house in Kelowna?

Postby Ranger66 » May 2nd, 2017, 7:22 am

Concrete, framing, Plumping, Mechanical, electrical and drywall are all estimated on a square foot basis.
Design and finish materials is where you will blow the budget. Walk through a 100 show homes before you agree to a design and make a decision on finishes and stick to it. Builders make money on changes, remember that.
To cool to live, to smart to die

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Ranger66
Übergod

Liked in: 397 posts

Postby forum » May 21st, 2017, 9:23 am

I've seen many builders suck every penny out of the clients budget, leaving barely anything left for nice plumbing and electrical fixture.

Stick with the smaller builders. The larger builders in town have lots of overhead and you pay for that.

And be all over them with costs.

Builders LOVE you to change things. They will purposely spec low grade in the beginning to get you to work with them, then when you realize "they were right" and you should go with the better granite, that's when they take you for a ride.

Once you commit to a builder, price check them the whole way, and make sure they know it.
forum
Guru

Liked in: 1469 posts

Postby LTD » May 21st, 2017, 10:01 am

ya everyone should listen to your vast years of of homeownership advice [icon_lol2.gif]

Bpeep likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3319 posts

Postby forum » May 21st, 2017, 12:22 pm

How would your advice be any different?
forum
Guru

Postby LTD » May 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm

my advice would come from someone who has had a home built in the past and has owned a few homes unlike you who continually bashes homeownership and talks like he knows everything about it but in reality knows nothing :up:

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3319 posts

Postby forum » May 22nd, 2017, 7:13 am

After 30 or so builds, you get the gist of it.
It's not rocket science, although some pretend it is to profit.
forum
Guru

Postby LANDM » May 22nd, 2017, 8:28 am

forum wrote:After 30 or so builds, you get the gist of it.
It's not rocket science, although some pretend it is to profit.

It isn't supposed to be rocket science......creating an object that propels into the atmosphere has few similarities to constructing a home.

However, all it has to be is something that an individual determines is best done by someone more knowledgable or at a lower cost than they could do themselves. Pretty normal. As for profiting from it, that is the entire point of a business. You provide a service at a price that is sufficiently above your costs that it makes it worthwhile.

Maintaining a hot tub isn't rocket science either, yet people willingly pay someone else a huge amount per year to do it.

Rocket science is, in fact, rocket science and the North Koreans have a tough time with it.

Bpeep likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3782 posts

Postby Jonrox » May 22nd, 2017, 8:52 am

forum wrote:Stick with the smaller builders. The larger builders in town have lots of overhead and you pay for that.

This is a good bit of advice. Our experience with a small builder was that he was much more open to changes throughout the build and didn't charge a BS change fee. If the change we wanted cost more in materials or labour, then we paid that amount but there wasn't a change fee tacked on as well. If the change wouldn't cost more in materials or labour, then we paid nothing more.

The attention to detail was far greater than my previous experience with a large builder. Also with a small builder, you're likely dealing with the person that can get things done... not a salesperson who always "needs to check with the boss or site super". They'll likely know the tradespeople and suppliers themselves, will know exactly what stage of the build you're at, and will be very "hands on" with the entire process.

4 people like this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2279 posts

Postby JLives » May 22nd, 2017, 11:15 am

forum wrote:I've seen many builders suck every penny out of the clients budget, leaving barely anything left for nice plumbing and electrical fixture.

Stick with the smaller builders. The larger builders in town have lots of overhead and you pay for that.

And be all over them with costs.

Builders LOVE you to change things. They will purposely spec low grade in the beginning to get you to work with them, then when you realize "they were right" and you should go with the better granite, that's when they take you for a ride.

Once you commit to a builder, price check them the whole way, and make sure they know it.

Things like plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, cabinets, counters can be set up as an allowance with no markup provided you do the picking and choosing. And your builder shouldn't be speccing these things anyway, these are conversations you have during the quoting process.

I agree with you on sticking with smaller builders but not too small. There are lots of people in town right now claiming to be builders who could easily be gone tomorrow.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Bpeep likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6034 posts

Postby forum » May 22nd, 2017, 8:52 pm

First question to your builder should be, what are the names of your sub trades. The builder should know all of his sub trades by name. So ask the builder if you can meet his sub trades. It's a good indication of how loyal they are, and the quality of the craftsmanship provided.

There's a big difference between "Hey this is my Plumber, we've worked together for 15 years" vs. " Hey this is my Plumber, we've worked together for 15 minutes".

Zazzle likes this post.
forum
Guru

Postby mosset » Aug 11th, 2017, 6:48 pm

We built late 20/13/early 2014. This was before the latest boom, but wasnt in the bust. Although I would agree that 175-200 is probably the normal, it is possible to do much less but many factors apply. We managed to ours for $125 sq foot and with high end finishes (stucco not hardie, black windows instead of white, all stone countertops including laundry room, hardwood/tile, large custome shower ensuite, vaulted sealing, colored stamped concrete driveway). The key for us was we did shop around a lot. We went with a builder that just charged a flat 10% fee on top of the subtrade quotes. If you think you can contract yourselves these our savings that could be had but I was not comfortable doing the general contracting myself so to be able to see the cost of the subtrades and just pay a tax I felt i was getting screwed. We built large and that is what was able to bring the cost down, we did 2 storey 2900 sq foot, plus 1000 sq foot garage, with a suspended slab underneath garage so unfinished basement was 2500 sq feet that we finished later on. We contracted the basement out ourselves doing our own electrical down there and most the framing. The suspended slab cost us $20gs more in original build but to gain 1000 more sq feet was cheap sq footage. We realised we coulda did build cheaper saving on going to hardie plank instead of all stucco, using cheaper flooring than hardwood which we hate having dogs, cheaper tile, going with white windows instead of black would have saved us a lot too but we liked the look, also using even top railing glass deck railings vs topless could have saved $40 linear foot. So I do think when people post that they built for $125 sq foot it is possible if counting basement. We shopped for all our bathroom fixtures and electrical fixtures ourselves finding good deals on sale.

Now we are at point of wanting to rebuild again and curious how much costs have jumped in last 2 years if possible to do close to same. We are pretty thrifty owners for shopping for deals, building plans that more square are more economical. Our builder always laughed at us and told us we had champagne tastes on a beer budget...but we pulled it off in the end and have very economical house with high end finishes.
mosset

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chrisgo » Dec 19th, 2018, 10:41 am

We are looking to build a new home, approximately 1800 square feet, 2 level, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathrooms in Penticton or Summerland, BC
Do you know how much this will cost per square foot?
We are looking are not materialistic people, so the house would be done at a middle of the road finishings - not cheap quality, but not high end either!
Thank you for your input!
Chrisgo

Postby Chrisgo » Dec 19th, 2018, 10:48 am

Mosset -
Did you get your answer on the cost per square foot for another build after posting your question in August 2017?
Chrisgo

Postby Glacier » Dec 19th, 2018, 12:06 pm

mosset wrote:Now we are at point of wanting to rebuild again and curious how much costs have jumped in last 2 years if possible to do close to same. We are pretty thrifty owners for shopping for deals, building plans that more square are more economical. Our builder always laughed at us and told us we had champagne tastes on a beer budget...but we pulled it off in the end and have very economical house with high end finishes.

Very interesting about the stucco versus hardie board. I did not know that stucco was more money! My house (built in 1994 as the first house on my street) is stucco, but I see all the new houses on my street using hardy board (the last empty lot was just finished a year ago). I assumed hardie plank was used because it looked more stylish, and not because of price. Interesting.

So that last house on my street is for sale for $600,000 (2000 sq. ft.), which is ridiculous for where I live in the north Okanagan. He did a lot of the work himself (he's retired) and he bought the lot for $80,000, so I'm sure his house with the cost of the lot set him back well under $300,000. Nothing fancy. No granite countertops, no hardwood flooring, but nice rock fireplace that he put in himself. Not bad when a retired guy can pocket $300,000 for a year's work.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 20th, 2018, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11094 posts

Postby Grandan » Dec 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm

If you have not read up on a few blogs, this is quite helpful:
https://clayconstruction.ca/apples-appl ... uare-foot/
There are simply too many variables to come up with a definative answer.
Find a builder in the area you want to build.
Having someone from out of your area will add significantly to the cost of the build.
Find a house plan you like that meets your needs. Make sure it fits the lot! Ask for a materials quotation from your local builders centre (or the nearest one that will) for a complete materials package. They should be able to quote you from concrete to cabinets and appliances. The level of finish is up to you. You'll want to do your homework anyway.
Think about landscaping.
Talk to your contractor about a labour contract, you supply the materials and he supplies the labour,
Now you have broken it all down to controlled parts.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 936 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan