Ogopogo trending on Yahoo

Process

Re: Ogopogo trending on Yahoo

Post by Process »

Without getting into a debate about how low the bar should be to be considered "ignorant" (and by that I mean simply being one without knowledge rather than having a truculent or offensive personality) may I suggest a book most would feel is a meaningful, accessible, and reasonably priced book on the physical and biological environments of BC? It's written by Cannings and Cannings - British Columbia: A Natural History. It takes a nice integrated approach and should be in the library of everyone who has an interest in our region.

Spock indeed..... :-)
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I have to say, I've seen that 'phenomenon' 50+ times while driving from Peachland to Penticton... Happens almost every day... No idea what causes it, but it's definitely just normal okanagan lake wave action :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
the_scoop

Post by the_scoop »

What it was, was spotting dark shapes roughly the size of what ogopogo is supposedly which were first in a rough "S" shape and gradually changed, moving in a different direction than the other waves, on a lake with no boats. Not seeing the characteristic humps or ogopogo movement, there was an obvious curiousity about whether it could be what is percieved as the ogopogo. Now we learned about different seiche waves and the geographical history of the Okanagan, and the further a mystery can be proven or dispelled, the closer one gets to the truth about it.

In hindsight, it was a very bad idea to give the video to the media or anyone, and if anyone has any video they think might be ogopogo, it's highly recommended to keep it to yourself.
TrueJoJo

Post by TrueJoJo »

French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but this is nothing.
2 dark lines, surrounded by about 20 smaller lanes.

Most probably just current..
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
the_scoop

Post by the_scoop »

How is it someone from Nova Scotia can be about the only one who gets the story straight?
http://www.thecottagechronicles.com/201 ... deo-maybe/
Lakes hold many mysteries beneath their waves, sunken treasure, lost outboards, sunken boats and water logged timber. And…in some lakes, mysterious creatures, seen by some, and talked about by many, but so far unproven. Personally I always have one eye on my fishfinder whenever I am out in the boat, and not necessarily because I am looking for fish. Like you perhaps, I am alway on the lookout for a glimpse of a lake monster!
Photog Doesn’t Know What It Is

Well a guy in British Columbia, Richard Huls has seen something in Lake Okanagan, and although Richard is not saying it’s the lakes own mysterious legend, “Ogopogo” what he is saying is that he doesn’t know what it is….I guess Richard knows the danger of coming out saying you saw a lake monster…people tend to look at you funny at the general store and at church suppers. However he did manage to capture the Lake Ogopogo Monster On Video.

That’s the thing about seeing a lake monster, if you do, you run the risk of getting labeled as “the guy who says he saw a monster in the lake” and people start whispering behind you at the general store when you are there to buy a big fishing net or long handled spear. I suspect there are a quite a few people among us who have seen a lake monster, but I…oops..I mean you, keep it to yourself. Good thinking….
International Media Interest For Lake Ogopogo Monster On Video

Unfortunately, or fortunately for Richard depending on your point of view, his video of something mysterious in his lake has obtained some international interest, and Richard, along with his video has become something of a celebrity of late. Yes, Richard Huls, is the latest guy to have seen a lake monster. He just didn’t realize that it might have been better to keep it quiet. Media outlets across Canada and parts of the United States have picked up on the story and the accompanying YouTube video giving Richard his 15 minutes of fame. Possible Ogopogo Video Catches The Eye of International Media

As I mentioned, and in his defense, Richard has not said that the video he made is a video of a “lake monster in Lake Ogopogo” He simply says he took a video of something happening in the lake, he does not know what it is. The rest of us made the leap to it being Ogopogo.
Video of Suspected Lake Monster In Lake Ogopogo

What the video taken on Lake Ogopopo shows is an unexplained wake or wave moving across the top of the water, and apparently what makes it odd is that the wake seems to be moving opposite to the prevailing winds and waves on the lake. Scientists have dismissed it, but, I dunno, it does seem to be moving against the prevailing wind.

A writer who didn't sensationalize the story, this guy should run for politics!

Return to “Central Okanagan”