Fighting for Man's Best Friend

Fighting for Man's Best Friend

Postby Triple 6 » Jul 20th, 2012, 2:52 pm

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#78136

As any dog owner will tell you, there almost no limit some people will go to fight for man's best friend.

In the case of Peter and Jennifer Madsen and their three children, the battle over the last 15 months to save their Alaskan Malamute Shadow has cost them tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention the frustration and anguish of knowing that if they lose this fight, Shadow will lose her life.

The Madsens were back in court earlier this week, defending the RDCO Dog Control claims that Shadow, while roaming free on March 26, 2011, attacked a woman in Lake Country who was walking her dog and bit her in the back of the leg.

The RDCO's stance is the dog should be euthanized.

The court case is now on hiatus until November with Shadow's fate hanging in the balance.

Peter Madsen says they've got the wrong dog.

"She approached this lady who was walking her dog. The lady kicked her in the head and then her dog basically went off."

Photo: Contributed - Peter Madsen
Shadow waits for a treat.
Madsen says the lady's German Shepherd then attacked Shadow. It was during the ensuing battle that the woman was bit in the back of a leg. Madsen argues that witnesses to the event say that Shadow never got behind the woman.

The Maddens were travelling at the time of the incident, but later learned that the RCMP thought that Shadow posed no danger and asked one of the witnesses, who was familiar with Shadow, to take the dog home. Madsen was also told that the police believed the bite was caused by the lady's dog and not Shadow.

Dog expert Brad Pattison says with his 25 years of experience has shown him the police's initial assessment was right.

"When people get bit if they're breaking up a dog fight, nine times out of 10 they're bit by their own dogs."

The Madsens returned home assuming the incident was behind them. But it was far from over.

"32 days later, they make a call to dog control asking for our personal information so they can start a civil litigation against us. So dog control talks to her, and three days later, May 1, they came up and illegally seized Shadow without a court order...in front of our only son. They wouldn't even let him say good-bye."

Madsen also alleges the dog control officer suggested that Madsen let him put the dog down that day and worry about fighting the forthcoming civil action.

Since that day, Shadow has been held in a small pen, surrounded by concrete and chain link fence, and is granted only a limited amount of time for exercise.

"She's in a five by 10 concrete cell, 23 and a half hours a day. We're allowed to see her once a week for half an hour."

Pattison argues the small holding cell is an inhumane way to keep a dog. He says the presumption of guilt leads to the mistreatment of animals.

"When dogs are locked up for a long period of time, like the 15 months it has been, this will bring depression into the dog's world. If a dog doesn't have proper care, socialization and interaction, with some dogs you can break their spirit. The people may get their dog back and the dog is completely different, more broken, more depressed, it's shattered. I find that to be extremely inhumane. This dog, like so many other dogs, are guilty until proven innocent," says Pattison.

Madsen is especially frustrated by the stance taken by dog control, since all the witnesses, with the exception of the lady who says she was attacked, say Shadow had not been aggressive throughout the incident.

Also, Madsen paid to have a dog assessment done, and Madsen says their expert has proven that Shadow is not an aggressive animal.

For their part, the Regional District is saying little about the case.

Bruce Smith, Communications & Intergovernmental Affairs Officer for the RDCO says as the case is adjourned and still before the court it is inappropriate for them to comment.

He added that the incident was first reported to the Regional District on April 27th and Dog Control seized the dog under the Community Charter on May 1, 2011 and the dog has been cared for in the pound since then.

Also, Smith says several months ago, the Regional District tried to get a court approved consent order to release the dog to the owners to ensure public safety, but was unable to reach an agreement with the owners.

In the meantime, the Maddens will go to court to try and get an interim release for Shadow until the court makes its final decision. On July 30 they will appear in front of the same provincial court judge who was hearing the case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Liked in: 3896 posts

Re: Fighting for Man Best Friend

Postby Triple 6 » Jul 20th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I saw this on CHBC news Wednesday night. There is a witness to support that Shadow did not bite the lady. Yet RDCO is content to carry this on? 15 months in the pound? Nice work. :127:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Postby zookeeper » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I saw it on the news too, and how they (the assessment people) were trying to bait the dog in to becoming violent too. Sad thing was the "accommodations" for 15 months. Brought to mind right away the incident in Lumby, guilty on one person's word.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 733 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:20 pm

"illegally seized the dog without a warrant."

Anyone know what the ACTUAL rules/laws are for them to take a dog?

I don't think I'd be giving my dog up to anyone unless I was forced to by a police officer threatening to arrest me if I didn't.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1715 posts

Postby zzontar » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Why is it they believe the "victim" over all the other evidence? I feel bad for the dog and the owners. This part really burns me up:
Madsen also alleges the dog control officer suggested that Madsen let him put the dog down that day and worry about fighting the forthcoming civil action.

It seems the dog control officer likes the part of the job he/she shouldn't like a bit too much.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1103 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:34 pm

There is a witness that said the dog didn't do it.
On the video they are trying to provoke the dog, it just ducks its head.
Dog experts say the dog is not dangerous.
The dog has been in a cage for 15 months while people diddle and dick around and stall and delay.
The saddest part is that we pay the wages for this sort of ignorant incompitance.
Try not to be a dullard.
If you need it explained, you probably won't understand.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3275 posts

Postby Triple 6 » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:37 pm

dogspoiler wrote:There is a witness that said the dog didn't do it.

She was on the news. She was at court that day. She is 100% positive it was not Shadow.

This part is a bit confusing:
Bruce Smith, Communications & Intergovernmental Affairs Officer for the RDCO says as the case is adjourned and still before the court it is inappropriate for them to comment.

but then adds this:
Also, Smith says several months ago, the Regional District tried to get a court approved consent order to release the dog to the owners to ensure public safety, but was unable to reach an agreement with the owners.

Which is it Bruce? You can talk, you can't talk? I'd also like to know what the consent order included.
Triple 6

Postby whatrukus » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:40 pm

so anyone want to go to the pound with me tonight and break this poor innocent dog out of HELL!!
whatrukus

Liked in: 0 post

Postby jimsenchuk » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:41 pm

I really hope the owners sue the person that came and took the dog illegally and the RDCO, this is totally wrong. Put that so called dog catcher in a 5 by 10 cell for 5 yrs. *bleep* :purefury: :purefury: :purefury:
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 417 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 20th, 2012, 3:43 pm

15 months is a significant amount of time in the life of a dog. Based on what has been published only, this sounds ridiculous and maybe the Madsens should consider hiring a lawyer to at least get the dog back while the RDCO drags it's feet.

The police report as well as that of the witnesses should be enough to secure the dogs freedom.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 5400 posts

Postby CoffeeCanuck » Jul 20th, 2012, 4:16 pm

There is something seriously wrong when eye witness accounts, an expert dog assessment, and the police all saying Shadow did not bite this lady and it is dismissed. Beyond reprehensible. Even more reprehensible is this poor dog is suffering in a small and inadequate kennel for 15 months! As angry as this makes me, I know that if it were my dog, I would not allow it to suffer this long. Right or wrong, this is no life for any animal.

I'm a tad confused by the article though, which is poorly written. It says Shadow approached the lady walking her german shepherd. She kicks Shadow in the head, Shadow then went off, and then the german shepherd attacks Shadow. Hmmmm, how is it possible for the shepherd to attack Shadow if it was on a leash like it's supposed to be?

Now Shadow has to wait 4 more long months in a 2x4 cell. Nope, wouldn't happen if it was my dog. As disgusted as I am by this entire story, and as heartbroken as I would be, I would never allow my dog to suffer this long. If my only option was to have him/her put down vs existing in an inhumane environment, that's what I would do. Then somehow, some way, I'd be going after everyone involved in this debacle.

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 873 posts

Postby Sige » Jul 20th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I have a beautiful husky shepherd x and I would be devastated if this happened to me. I can't believe that this is all on one person's say so :(

As was said earlier, 15 months is a giant chunk of time to a dog.
Sige
Übergod

Liked in: 793 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Jul 20th, 2012, 4:44 pm

In the best case scenario this dog will spend one tenth of its life in a concrete cage, while overpaid Idlers stall and delay.
Try not to be a dullard.
If you need it explained, you probably won't understand.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3275 posts

Postby motorhomebabe » Jul 20th, 2012, 4:57 pm

This is animal abuse .How can RDCO, even justify this?
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 248 posts

Postby momtobanjo » Jul 20th, 2012, 5:44 pm

While I have to agree that this is very sad and certainly not worthy of this poor dog being seized and possibly euthanized, it ceratinly angers me that this dog was off leash, unsupervised and on public property. Was this the first time this dog had escaped from it's property ? If so then this is way too harsh, but if it has escaped numerous times then the owners should be held accountable.
I would like to know that I can safely walk my dogs without the risk of some dog, big or small, escaping its property and coming at me, wether friendly or not.
Unfortunately it is always the poor animals that pay the price of owners negligence.
Hopefully this story has a happy ending for Shadow.
momtobanjo

Liked in: 2 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan