Fighting for Man's Best Friend

Ty01

Re: Fighting for Man Best Friend

Post by Ty01 »

I've been reading what I can about this since it's very similar to what happened to my family's dog and dog control's actions. From what I understand the owner declined to have the dog at home because doing so would require the dog to be muzzled all the time and apparently "if the dog steps one foot off it's property (without the owner?) it'll be put down immediately." If that was the case I would consider declining as well. But! That being said, having the dog locked in a cell for 15 months is way beyond any reasonable amount of time and turns into animal cruelty.

Just another case of dog control being completely corrupt. Something should absolutely be done about who dog control answers to.

I sincerely hope everything ends up working out in Shadow's favor, and that the family gets at the very least, a public apology for having had their dog locked up for so long.

I do agree with the last poster though, if Shadow had been running free and did not have eye witnesses saying that it was the other dog that bit the lady, then I agree there should be punishments doled out.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The story says that the owners were traveling at the time, so someone else was dogsitting and seems to be negligent in letting the dog run loose.
The dog thieves actions are totally unacceptable.
Black Dogs Matter
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Ty01 wrote:I sincerely hope everything ends up working out in Shadow's favor, and that the family gets at the very least, a public apology for having had their dog locked up for so long.

They spent tens of thousands of dollars and should get every cent back PLUS some. This is an example of extreme injustice to the dog and owners.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Ty01

Post by Ty01 »

zzontar wrote:They spent tens of thousands of dollars and should get every cent back PLUS some. This is an example of extreme injustice to the dog and owners.

Oh I absolutely agree! I'm just thinking with the way these "high ups" work they'll be trying everything they can to not give this family anything in compensation :(
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

There are now two Facebook pages for Shadow and his owners.

"Save SHADOW the Malamute from wrongful" and "Shadow VS RDCO"

The Save Shadow page has a petition posted, so I would encourage everyone who is truly concerned about this poor dog to check out the pages and most definitely sign the petition.

I still have a number of questions surrounding this whole issue, but no matter what, this dog deserves so much more humanity that it's received.

After following the Lennox story for the past 2 years which just ended in his death, I see eerily similarities that make me sick.

~D
DREAMSBRIDE

Post by DREAMSBRIDE »

If you would like to try and help...show your support here
http://www.change.org/petitions/bc-prov ... m=16330815
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

http://www.regionaldistrict.com/boards_committees/board_regional_board.aspx

I have just sent an email to the above stating my disgust for the whole affair.

The castanet article, the CHBC and the Global TV stories paint a picture of a dog control system that answers to no one and has no standards, training or experience with dogs. I'm not impressed or reassured!

How is it that a dog control officer can seize a dog without a court order? If they can do that, then could Shadow's owners not just stroll into the dog pound and take back their property?
At the very least, the officer should be charged with theft of property, since the dog was not obtained legally.

This makes me very distrustful of Dog Control. I was already not impressed by Dog control, as their only communication with me in my 8 years of owning dogs, was to inquire whether my dog had bit someone, solely because I had registered her as a "shepherd cross" and someone within a kilometer of me had reported being bit by a shepherd. It was not a call to ask me if I knew where my dog was, or if I was missing my dog. It was a call to assign blame.

Have joined the facebook group as well.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

I'd like to learn about the woman who was bit. What's the temperament of her dog. I learned a long time ago that if we're approached by a loose dog and unsure of it, I just drop the leash and let my dog figure it out. Turned out good so far and it's been quite a few years. If there's a rally or anything to support Shadow, my dog and I will definitely be there!
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Yes! I too am wondering about that woman, Wondering what kind of a dog owner would let another dog suffer. Even if Shadow was the culprit, and I dont think she was, a dog lover would understand the heat of the moment. It was her civil suit that started the ball rolling in the first place.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

motorhomebabe wrote:Yes! I too am wondering about that woman, Wondering what kind of a dog owner would let another dog suffer. Even if Shadow was the culprit, and I dont think she was, a dog lover would understand the heat of the moment. It was her civil suit that started the ball rolling in the first place.

I don't care if she's a dog lover or not, her actions are immature and wildly out of proportion.
All I can say is it's a good thing she's not been named, otherwise I suspect her phone wouldn't stop ringing with people expressing their outrage at her self centered actions.

I wonder how she sleeps at night knowing that if her dog gets out of her yard and approaches someone as hot tempered as her, her own dog might be in the same situation she has put Shadow into.

Disgusting.
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Absolutely appalling to cage this poor animal for so long.
One thing that had us wondering - if this incident happened March 26 - why did they wait until April 27th to report it?
Something isn't right here - from what we've watched on TV, Shadow does not seem to show any aggression. Guess the word of the RCMP and an eye witness don't count for anything? Someone needs a slap on the side of the head.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Civil suit in 99% of the cases means greed. Plain and simple .SHAME!
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

incomprehensible and unjustifiable.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

This is so completely ridiculous.....come on, people, somehow we have to get that dog out of the control of the people that are holding her. Obviously, with many cases like this, the people that are in "control" do not know dogs, and do believe they are above the law. It is just too easy to cry "wolf" and put the dog down....after all, it is only a dog, right? Not so to those of us that have pets that are part of the family. I think she has suffered enough already, as has her family. Cruelty at it's finest, at the hands of people that are supposed to have some sort of training, are they not? If all they have is a pole with a loop on the end, and a huge ego with the perception they are in a power position.....then they need to be taken to task each and every time this happens.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

I am going to reserve my opinion until I hear the complete story from both sides. It's too easy to assume stuff with media and social media involved. Plus people's emotions get in the way. Let the courts decide. Public safety should be #1.

Return to “Central Okanagan”