Chairlift accident

fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Chairlift accident

Post by fall »

What is going on with the Safety Authority and the investigation is it really still ongoing? or are they hoping time will just make everyone forget about this?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Still nothing? Will they ever conclude their investigation lol
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Has there been anything released on what caused the chairlift accident? Is Crystal set to open this coming season? Anything new at all?
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Don't tell me you're actually thinking about going back to this rundown mountain. They need to spend some major dollars before I'd even think of returning. Look at big white, they spend the money and its not cheap to go there, but i would rather the mountain be expensive and safe then cheap and dangerous.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If the mountain were dangerous they would not be allowed to operate.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Well, all I know is that Crystal had to install a piece of metal flashing on the same tower that the incident took place at, because the chairs bounce so much after loading and the lift is not designed to carry snowboarders, so the tower literally gets hit. It was all beat to hell from getting hit so many times. Yes, this could have been people who don't know to keep out of the way or some kids trying to hit it, but I saw with my own eyes the empty chairs in front of me bouncing and hitting the tower, one time the chair I was on hit the tower. If the liftee holds the chair back too long, it will do this everytime.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Drove up there today, it doesn't look like much has change.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Still nothing on facebook, they say theyre waiting for the insurance company. Obviously not the most insurable ski hill around.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/143143/Chairlift-crash-report

Just under 16 months after a terrifying chairlift collapse injured four people on Crystal Mountain, the B.C. Safety Authority has released its conclusions and recommendations.

On March 1, 2014, a cable from the chairlift reportedly came loose, sending three chairs careening into a tower before crashing to the ground.

Three of those injured worked at the mountain, including two members of the ski patrol and one ski instructor. The fourth person injured was a 45-year-old who was taking lessons.

BCSA’s report includes seven recommendations to prevent further occurrences.

“This incident can be attributed to a number of contributing factors, which is why we have made seven improvement recommendations including an important recommendation towards the development of a Passenger Ropeway Mechanic Certification Program in B.C.,” says Jason Gill, BCSA’s safety manager of passenger ropeways and amusement devices.

The authority determined the primary cause of the incident was low tension within the haul-rope system, directly caused by the counterweight being in contact with the ground.

Contributing factors according to the BCSA also include: condition and malfunction of the tensioning system, configuration of the rope-catching device installed at the tower where the deropement occurred, operator understanding of haul-rope and tensioning system conditions and dynamics, and placement of the tower that experienced the deropement relative to other towers and the loading area.

The BCSA is now working with industry, manufacturers and certifying agencies to look toward implementing its recommendations.

A number of instructions were also provided to Crystal Mountain, which must be completed in order to resume operation – work the BCSA says has not yet been done.

“Crystal Mountain’s operating permits will be reinstated only once BCSA is satisfied that the resort’s ski lifts meet all required safety standards,” writes the BCSA.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Does anyone know if they will be open this season?
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I hear unlikely. It will take over $1,000,000 to meet the safety requirements, and there's no interest from the owner in investing.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Seriously? Wow that sucks.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

They have to have a third party inspect the cables every few years. It costs a million bucks to inspect the cables.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

mountain does not have the base like Big White...so I doubt it will ever open again.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Glacier wrote:They have to have a third party inspect the cables every few years. It costs a million bucks to inspect the cables.

magnetic (flux leakage) rope testing required every three years, two thousand a rope at the most for testing. The rope on that chair is only worth about 40K
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

Return to “Central Okanagan”