Crystal Mountain closed for the season!

Re: Crystal Mountain closed for the season!

Postby sulchie » Sep 13th, 2014, 8:40 am

sulchie
Fledgling

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby Libtech » Sep 13th, 2014, 8:52 am

I did not post that Crystal was closing for people to be negative about Crystal.
Everyone has their own opinion of Crystal. If negative keep it to yourself.
Remember what our mothers used to say " If you have nothing nice to say about someone, then don't say anything at all!"
I was just informing people of the sad news.

It is not opening because it is unsafe. The BC Safety Authority is inconclusive on the accident so far. They have been trying to recreate the chair incident and cannot. These tests have been all summer long.
It seems to be a one in million chance of it happening again. And a fluke it happened at all.
But for insurance purposes it is very hard now to get insurance as the BC Safety has nothing to report on the safety issue of the chair lift.
I do understand the chair is very old ( learned on it in the early 80's) but it did always pass pre and mid season load and safety inspections every year otherwise the wouldn't have opened without insurance.
I would assume now they will look for investors to replace the chair lift and move ahead with expansion plans or just put it up for sale.
Either way I do not think this is the end of Crystal (Last) Mountain.
Libtech

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zoso » Sep 13th, 2014, 4:42 pm

It was the perfect storm . I alway knew it could happen. Just by how close the chairs get to the first tower . All you needed for the liftee to put just the right English on the chair or for a heavy guy to sit on the outside or both and the chair is gonna hook the tower . I've seen them hit empty before. .all they would have needed is to add guidance to the tower to eliminate this . I learned to ski there 32 years ago . And went on to racing from there . Put a 200 pound hefty bag on the left seat and give it a shove . Eventually you'll do it . Evapecially if the whole chair has a slight bounce to it to pump the swing action . Easy remedy . Perhaps the counter weights are slightly too heavy . Making the cable more "live ". I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with the lift .i can't believe their saying die . But I guess better safe than sorry.
Zoso
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 288 posts

Postby ferri » Sep 13th, 2014, 4:56 pm

“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9912 posts

Postby Frisk » Sep 13th, 2014, 9:21 pm

That's a shame. I've enjoyed skiing / boarding there over the past few years. It's nice because of how close it is to where I live, the drive only takes 10 minutes.
You've got to have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come.
Bob Ross
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2223 posts

Postby mullyman » Sep 14th, 2014, 8:48 am

a very unfortunate reality is that small mom and pop ski hills have been closing all over the country...it really is a shame, as many youngsters got their taste for the sport on those small hills close to home, and , as they got older, moved to larger, more challenging terrain. these small hills "feed" the larger hills, so down the road, their numbers will diminish as well.. please, parents, bring your kids to the other hills in your area... a longer drive, but worth it...and ride with them, there are not many family activities that you can do WITH your kids, rather than spectating... the ski hill time evolves .. my grandchildren are coming now too!Meanwhile, hoping that crystal, and baldy can re=emerge bigger and better!
mullyman

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby fall » Sep 15th, 2014, 7:49 pm

I would be surprised if Crystal mountain opened next year. There is always Apex for the ones who prefer a smaller mountain. They could use some extra business themselves
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 658 posts

Postby matai » Sep 15th, 2014, 7:53 pm

The article has been updated stipulating they are not opening because they didn't do the repairs ordered by the province to get their operating license back.

I personally would prefer more transparency coming from the hill instead of receiving the true info from the government themselves.

More information has come out after Crystal Mountain announced they will not open this year. Castanet has learned the BC Safety Authority gave initial instructions to the operators of the resort in July, stipulating what they had to do to obtain an operating licence. No repairs have been completed.

The BC Safety Authority suspended the ski hill's licence following an accident involving one of its ski lifts on March 1.

"Back in July we issued a number of instructions to Crystal Mountain in terms of regulated work that would need to be done on their three passenger ski lifts in order for us to be confident they would be safe for public use. Then we would issue their operating licence," says Quinn Newcombe with the BC Safety Authority.
Last edited by matai on Sep 15th, 2014, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matai
Banned

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby fall » Sep 16th, 2014, 8:04 am

Better for the Crystal mountain lifers to drive and pay a bit more knowing that you will be safe instead of using a run down broke hill with poor management. I wonder how deep they are in with lawsuits from the accident. I am sure they will have it all worked out and be raring to go next season anyway bahaha. One other thing I am curious about is how did the safety authority not notice the problems with the lifts last year? Are they not supposed to do a yearly inspection?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Glacier » Sep 16th, 2014, 9:22 am

fall wrote:Are they not supposed to do a yearly inspection?

Some things are inspected yearly, some are inspected every 2nd year, etc. Some inspections cost millions of dollars, and in the cast of Mount Baldy, they couldn't find the money to do the inspection, and thus couldn't open. Insurance rates are also a real killer these days as we become more and more a risk adverse society.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11505 posts

Postby matai » Sep 16th, 2014, 6:23 pm

There's an article in today's Daily Courier saying the manager and his wife took off, and that the ski hill may not even reopen at all.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... b2370.html

The main operators, Mike and Genie Morin, have “moved on for the time being” and are unreachable, said Danne Long, the mountain’s pro patroller and volunteer co-ordinator.

“We’re hoping (to reopen), but at this point it won’t be for a year, as I understand it . . . ”
matai
Banned

Postby fall » Sep 16th, 2014, 6:28 pm

Unless someone with very deep pockets comes along and doesn't mind gambling their investment on Crystal bouncing back and attracting enough people to make a go and profit it will stay closed! So long Mike!

matai likes this post.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby matai » Sep 16th, 2014, 6:29 pm

fall wrote:Unless someone with very deep pockets comes along and doesn't mind gambling their investment on Crystal bouncing back and attracting enough people to make a go and profit it will stay closed! So long Mike!

IMO the least they could do [the sky hill] is to answer questions to get public trust again, otherwise this whole thing smells fishy, especially when people's life are at risk.
matai
Banned

Postby fall » Sep 16th, 2014, 6:37 pm

The hill and everything about it are sketchy to say the least. Take a peek on their facebook page at some of the comments on there. Crystal Mountain is doomed until someone takes over if that ever happens.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby logman » Sep 16th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Maybe the owners of Big White (with their deep pockets)should look at at Crystal(Last) Mountain as an investment. Where do they think the future of local skiers and snowboarders come from? The season pass holders had to learn as kids. Kids that really wanted to ski with parents that did not ski learned at Last mountain. Open your eyes Big White. You have lost future skiers and snowboarder with the loss of of Crystal(Last) Mountain.
logman
Übergod

Liked in: 276 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan